Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, the tracking device has me overthinking things way to much but some sort of small explanation with how they work could go a long way. But I don't see how you could even explain it at this point.

I only watch these things once but I'm pretty sure the 'explanation' is in there. If I recall correctly in episode 1 it was mentioned it's tied to a 'bio signature' (that's the vague sciency part), but the trick is you have to be in close range for it to work. So you can't scan it from space, you have to be on the ground in the vicinity for it to work which is why they thought Baby Yoda would be safe there. But once discovered - not unfeasible someone may come by to check what happened to the raiders and has one of those trackers, or was specifically hunting for them checking out potential hiding backwater hiding places and got lucky.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
With the massive cost per episode for this, their Marvel shows, and presumably the other Star Wars shows, I am curious how long Disney is willing to keep it up and at what point the cost for Disney+ raises by a significant amount.

Disney will likely wait until they've become the leader in the streaming market before raising their prices. I think they are quite content to potentially lose money for a while in order to win the streaming war.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Disney will likely wait until they've become the leader in the streaming market before raising their prices. I think they are quite content to potentially lose money for a while in order to win the streaming war.
Yeah, I'm more so wondering if they keep up with the uber expensive shows. Once the others start, they are going to have massive costs. I'll be curious if some of them have shortened life spans because of it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, I'm more so wondering if they keep up with the uber expensive shows. Once the others start, they are going to have massive costs. I'll be curious if some of them have shortened life spans because of it.

I guess Netflix, Disney and all the major providers are in the fight for market share right now. They are bleeding money to build a loyal base. Golden age of television is what some are calling it. Big Bang for little bucks.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Chapter 5 discussion:

Totally thought Fennec would've been more involved in the series, but that was a nice twist that I (somehow) didn't see.

I wonder how The Mando will eventually get people to stop tracking him and The Yodaling.

Princess Caroline from Bojack was unexpected casting that I didn't mind. And nice touch with the pit droids.

The cantina was a bit too reminiscent of the first time we met Han, but I did like how it was run by droids now.

At the very end before the credits, is that Cob Vanth (spelling?) or Boba Fett?!

I'll have to re-watch Chapter 5 a second time before I include it in rankings, but my favorite to least favorite so far:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
[probably Chapter 5]
Chapter 4
Chapter 3

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Chapter 5 discussion:

Totally thought Fennec would've been more involved in the series, but that was a nice twist that I (somehow) didn't see.

I wonder how The Mando will eventually get people to stop tracking him and The Yodaling.

Princess Caroline from Bojack was unexpected casting that I didn't mind. And nice touch with the pit droids.

The cantina was a bit too reminiscent of the first time we met Han, but I did like how it was run by droids now.

At the very end before the credits, is that Cob Vanth (spelling?) or Boba Fett?!

I'll have to re-watch Chapter 5 a second time before I include it in rankings, but my favorite to least favorite so far:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 3

I'm not really sure, but my guess is that it's whatever character Giancarlo Esposito is playing.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Enjoyed this week’s episode much more than last week’s. The storyline last week so just so generic. I was really happy things were darker in this episode.

Who was that at the end? The guy Mando shot in the Beskar?

Reactions: Dubi Doo

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
This episode seems very divisive. I've seen a lot of people say they love it, and some people really hate it.

Looks like we have The Last Jedi of the series :naughty:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I didn't like Episode 5. For starters, it was too fan-servicey for me. For example:
He happened to have his ship crippled near Tatooine and landed in Mos Eisley.
He went into the same cantina as in A New Hope.
There was an R5-D4 droid from A New Hope and another droid from Return of the Jedi.
Toro was sitting exactly where Han sat when he shot Greedo and had his feet up on the table, like Han. He even owned a similar looking blaster.
They ride the model of speeder from Return of the Jedi.
They encounter Tuskan Raiders and their mounts.
I'm down with a little bit of fan service, but this was too much. It was like "how many familiar things can we cram in?" Besides that, I felt that Toro was a bit ridiculous and badly acted, the humor was a little forced and the speeder scenes looked quite fake. The episode did get a little better toward the end, but not enough to change my feelings about it as a whole.

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I didn't like Episode 5. For starters, it was too fan-servicey for me. For example:
There was an R5-D4 droid from A New Hope and another droid from Return of the Jedi.
Toro was sitting exactly where Han sat when he shot Greedo and had his feet up on the table, like Han. He even owned a similar looking blaster.
I'm down with a little bit of fan service, but this was too much. It was like "how many familiar things can we cram in?" Besides that, I felt that Toro was a bit ridiculous and badly acted, the humor was a little forced and the speeder CGI looked pretty bad. The episode did get a little better toward the end, but not enough to change my opinion.

I will give you that - tons of fans service. I didn't have an issue with it, but I definitely understand that. And I didn't like Toro at first, but he grew on me as the episode continued. The humor, though... I thought it worked great, at least for me. It felt very natural and Star Wars-ish, IMO.

The CGI I agree with, though. But we still have to understand.. even though this show has a very large budget, it's still well below a Star Wars movie budget. So I can let it pass as long as it doesn't have a big impact on what actually happens.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't know anyone that loved The Last Jedi. What are the complaints for this week's episode?

You don't know anyone? Really? I know a lot of people who really like it. Also know a lot of people who really hate it haha.

As for the complaints, look at Osprey's post. That seems to summarize a lot of it. And I guess no progression in the plot is something else I've seen.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know anyone that loved The Last Jedi. What are the complaints for this week's episode?
There are at least a handful in the main Star Wars thread that loved it. I'm like you, no one that I personally know loved it. Everyone either didn't like it or was neutral about it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
You don't know anyone? Really? I know a lot of people who really like it. Also know a lot of people who really hate it haha.

As for the complaints, look at Osprey's post. That seems to summarize a lot of it. And I guess no progression in the plot is something else I've seen.

I knew a few people who enjoyed it but definitely don’t love it or think it was a great movie.

No progression in the plot? The entire episode is the plot. The show is about Mando.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'm down with a little bit of fan service, but this was too much. It was like "how many familiar things can we cram in?" Besides that, I felt that Toro was a bit ridiculous and badly acted, the humor was a little forced and the speeder scenes looked quite fake. The episode did get a little better toward the end, but not enough to change my feelings about it as a whole.

I agree with you on the bar scene. Way too similar. It didn’t bother me for the rest of the episode though. I like that it wasn’t super straight forward and the Mando just helping someone out.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I don't see a problem. This is set in the outer rim of the galaxy, of which Tatooine is a part of. Considering he's already come across Jawa's, it makes sense that he's somewhere in the vicinity of it. Once you have that established then the space port on Tatooine is Mos Eisley and it's not out of place to bring back the familiar. Quite the opposite actually.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad