Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Have to sit through this show because girlfriend is a Star Trek fan.
I have to smoke a lot of weed to get through this thing.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm not sure I'm on board with the speculation over the ending or at least, I'd fear a popular character jobbing to the new guy. Also, have this fun meme.
SxNH9Sb.jpg

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Is it actually Fett, or the guy from the Aftermath books that wears his armor?

No because Boba Fettt is dead and isn't a Mandalorian but a clone of Jango and thus wouldn't know anything about Mandalorian culture.

I didn't need to see Ming Na-Wen dying again...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't see a problem. This is set in the outer rim of the galaxy, of which Tatooine is a part of. Considering he's already come across Jawa's, it makes sense that he's somewhere in the vicinity of it. Once you have that established then the space port on Tatooine is Mos Eisley and it's not out of place to bring back the familiar. Quite the opposite actually.

I didn't say that there was a problem with it or even any of the rest of fan service, specifically. I didn't mind that he visited Mos Eisley, but the fan service kept going on and on from there. I like a little of it in each episode, but this one overdid it for me.

Last edited:

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
It was good, but
I didn't buy him leaving the child all by himself like that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I didn't say that there was a problem with it or even any of the rest of fan service, specifically. I didn't mind that he visited Mos Eisley, but the fan service kept going on and on from there. I like a little of it in each episode, but this one overdid it for me.

At least they actually went to Tatooine instead of the "Here's a desert planet that looks exactly like Tatooine but isn't Tatooine" crap they've been doing with the films (and even early in this series).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fun episode. I'm sure it'll eventually get to bigger plot points eventually, but it's refreshing to have a show where you can just sit back and enjoy the adventure.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I didn't hate that convenience put the Mando on Tatooine. Honestly, knowing that he was in the Outer Rim I fully expected him to end up there at some point or another. My only thing is I really figured the Hutt cartel (which extended beyond just Jabba) would play some kind of role and that might result in some job for the Mando on Tat.

So the circumstances that got him there are a little dumb, but it's pretty well settled that the Outer Rim is where more of the Star Wars seedy underbelly is situated. I didn't find the fan service of going back to a planet that's appeared in five out of eight films and countless video games/books to be offensive at all.

It's a well known planet in the Star Wars narrative universe. I understand the need to grow the galaxy and see new places, but isn't it a little silly to suggest that nobody but Luke, Han, 3PO, R2, Obi Wan, Anakin, and Padme would have a reason to go there?

Does everything that is familiar necessarily have to be fan service now?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I didn't hate that convenience put the Mando on Tatooine. Honestly, knowing that he was in the Outer Rim I fully expected him to end up there at some point or another. My only thing is I really figured the Hutt cartel (which extended beyond just Jabba) would play some kind of role and that might result in some job for the Mando on Tat.

So the circumstances that got him there are a little dumb, but it's pretty well settled that the Outer Rim is where more of the Star Wars seedy underbelly is situated. I didn't find the fan service of going back to a planet that's appeared in five out of eight films and countless video games/books to be offensive at all.

It's a well known planet in the Star Wars narrative universe. I understand the need to grow the galaxy and see new places, but isn't it a little silly to suggest that nobody but Luke, Han, 3PO, R2, Obi Wan, Anakin, and Padme would have a reason to go there?

Does everything that is familiar necessarily have to be fan service now?

Tatooine in general isn’t just any planet in the Outer Rim either. As far as that region is concerned, it’s more major hub than backwater. And the cantina is definitely the first place for a traveler looking for work to stop.

Or at least it was. It sounds a lot like the cartels have been pretty well smacked around by the New Republic, so I guess that would include the Hutts. And the bounty hunters guild no longer has a presence there. I think that, as a result, Mos Eisley certainly looked a lot more like a ghost town than it did 10 years earlier. And compared to when we saw it in TPM, well... it may as well be a different planet.

I thought the episode was good. I’m very pleasantly surprised at the episodic nature of things in the middle part of the season. At this point, I expect him to keep bouncing around for another episode until things come to a head very suddenly in the final 2.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I pity you... not because you don't like this show, but because, if your girlfriend is a Star Trek fan, she may eventually make you watch Star Trek: Discovery, as well. No amount of weed will help you then.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I liked the episode. 2 and 3 are my favourites thus far, but all have been enjoyable.

It seems like whether you consider the references to the past movies to be “fan service” or “Easter Eggs” depends on how cynical you are. It’s a Star Wars show, there are going to be references to past works - I wish some people would get over that.

This show is a fun “hang” as I see it - well directed and filmed, entertaining and concisely written. As a fan of many smaller-scale, character-driven TV shows, I’m really enjoying watching Star Wars in a more low-stakes type of story where I can just kind of sink into the characters and the world. It’s a nice change of pace from the usual life and death/empire vs rebels/Jedi vs Sith story where plot is being churned through at a million miles per minute.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Episode 5 was by far the worst, straight up "monster of the week" formula with mysterious season arc setup in the final couple minutes.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I knew a few people who enjoyed it but definitely don’t love it or think it was a great movie.

No progression in the plot? The entire episode is the plot. The show is about Mando.

Is it though? Seems like it's more about The Child :laugh:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Oh man, another episode where he goes to a new planet and does a side quest with one of the locals.

This show desperately lacks direction and a main plot.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Why do you have to watch the show just because your GF does? That's a weird dynamic you have going there.

I enjoyed the last episode. 2 and 3 are still my favorites. 4 was by far the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad