Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Am I the only one who gets a huge KOTOR vibe each time I watch an episode? Not necessarily the subject matters (even many times), but mostly the way the story is structured.

It very much has a video game feel to me, which I really like. It might also be why I have less of an issue with the side mission episodes and episode lengths than some people do. But I'm also used to the shorter episode format between TCW and Rebels (which to me up until this show have been the best Star Wars storytelling on any screen since probably the OT).

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I imagine that he knows that, but framed it as if the complaints were heard to avoid admitting that they were premature.

It feels pretty similar to most RPGs:

1. Hero arrives in a new area.
2. Hero meets a local character who has a problem.
3. Hero deals with that problem in order to get what he needs and leave the area.
4. Repeat.

The guest stars may as well have large yellow exclamation marks above their heads.

I wondered if we might see Katarn when I saw that scene at the end. That would be a 25-year-old dream come true, just so long as it's the version of Katarn from Dark Forces, not the sequels that gave him Jedi powers. On the other hand, though, Dark Forces seemingly can't be made canon now because it told of how Katarn stole the original Death Star plans, which Rogue One tossed out and re-wrote, so it'll be interesting to see what backstory they give Katarn if they include him.
It's Knight Rider in Space. The Razer Crest is K.I.T.T and baby Yoda is Devon. Or, it's the A Team in Space. Baby Yoda is Hannibal, the Crest is the GMC Vandura and Mando is BA.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It feels pretty similar to most RPGs:

1. Hero arrives in a new area.
2. Hero meets a local character who has a problem.
3. Hero deals with that problem in order to get what he needs and leave the area.
4. Repeat.

The guest stars may as well have large yellow exclamation marks above their heads.

You mean the guest stars for an episode have an impact on the plot of that episode? SHOCKING :laugh:

One of the issues I have with the rise of streaming and binging culture is the death of the adventure of the week shows. People expect every episode to immediately tie into the previous and subsequent episodes, with one centralized plot moving along. They've forgotten that it's okay to have self-contained episodes. The Mandalorian is much like The X-Files was, a combination of Monster of the Week episodes and episodes that advance a central plot. And that's not a bad thing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The X-Wing pilot speaking to Cara Dune said something along the lines of “the core worlds don’t believe it, but there’s definitely something going on out here. And we need to stop it before it gets worse.”
It’s definitely some proto-First Order remnants.

There were very slight Resistance musical themes from the ST playing during that conversation.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You mean the guest stars for an episode have an impact on the plot of that episode? SHOCKING :laugh:

:laugh: To be clear, I was making a joke, not a criticism. I'm fond of the "adventure of the week" format and even miss it in the newer "Star Trek" series.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So I guess the audio description of the episode confirmed that they were Dark Troopers.

IIRC, it'll be the first time they will be shown in canon. Also, they are pure EU material, and rather obscure (sorta) material at that. I look forward to seeing what else gets transplanted from the EU into the Mandalorian, and what it all means for the future of the franchise.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

One of the issues I have with the rise of streaming and binging culture is the death of the adventure of the week shows. People expect every episode to immediately tie into the previous and subsequent episodes, with one centralized plot moving along. They've forgotten that it's okay to have self-contained episodes. The Mandalorian is much like The X-Files was, a combination of Monster of the Week episodes and episodes that advance a central plot. And that's not a bad thing.

Nothing's dead here, and I'd guess you're in a significant minority with that opinion.. 'Adventure of the week' has long been the standard cable television show format, and if you watched cable TV that's still the norm. While The Mandalorian bucks the trend this is probably a good reason why the streaming TV long format is the best TV right now.

One of the reasons it works so well with The Mandalorian is because it's Star Wars, and Star Wars has been a mess that needed to be taken back a step and simplified.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw a tweet today that could be a clue about a major plot development in an upcoming episode:
It was a tweet from, I think, the casting agency for the actress who played the female Imperial officer in the last episode. It was celebrating her introduction to the show and concluded by saying, "Yes, she got to spend time with Baby Yoda." Some people are taking that to mean that she has scenes with Baby Yoda, which suggests that the remnants of the Empire could be taking him from Mando soon. That aligns with what the scientist said in the hologram about needing to get the child back in order to take more blood samples from him, so it seems like a good possibility.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I saw a tweet today that could be a clue about a major plot development in an upcoming episode:
It was a tweet from, I think, the casting agency for the actress who played the female Imperial officer in the last episode. It was celebrating her introduction to the show and concluded by saying, "Yes, she got to spend time with Baby Yoda." Some people are taking that to mean that she has scenes with Baby Yoda, which suggests that the remnants of the Empire could be taking him from Mando soon. That aligns with what the scientist said in the hologram about needing to get the child back in order to take more blood samples from him, so it seems like a good possibility.

Or she just got to spend time with the Baby Yoda puppet while she was on set. I would imagine everybody who guest stars wants to see it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Or she just got to spend time with the Baby Yoda puppet while she was on set. I would imagine everybody who guest stars wants to see it.

Yes, that's the other possibility, but a lot of things add up. Her character was introduced at the very end of the episode, suggesting that she'll be more important in the next episode(s), and she reports directly to Moff Gideon. She tells him that she's had a tracking device installed on the Razor Crest and he asks if "the asset" is still with him (Mando). Clearly, Moff Gideon wants Baby Yoda, and we know why: because his scientist needs more of his blood. Furthermore, we know that she's the one tasked with acquiring the child. It's all building up to her character trying to take the child from Mando. Now, whether she'll get close enough to that to have scenes with Baby Yoda, we'll have to find out, but it all adds up to that possibility.

I think that it also makes sense for the season, which has been good, but mostly "side quests" and adventures in babysitting. Having her take Baby Yoda and maybe even bring him before Moff Gideon is just the kind of drama that this season could use, IMO. Ater all, it'd be a little boring and a re-hash of Season 1 if the child stays safe and sound with Mando. Putting him in real danger and requiring Mando to fight to get him back would be a perfect plot development.

Last edited:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
"I thought I knew who you were inside that mask, but it's impossible, my master could never do the things you have!"

"Anakin Skywalker was weak, I destroyed him"

"Then I shall avenge his death"

"Vengeance is not the Jedi way"

"I am NO Jedi"

Having a struggling certain character sleeping and hearing that voice over would be an amazing way to tease the mystery to the general audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad