Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just hope it doesn't continue to tradition of, well where the hell were those characters in the trilogy.

Speaking as a grumpy old school fan, I'm a little concerned that bringing elements from the various animated series into the live action is part of slowly "Marvel-izing" Star Wars. That's not the direction that I, personally, want to see the franchise go in. I want Star Wars to be influenced by literature, history, mythology, Westerns, Samurai pictures and the like, not by superheroes, comic books and cartoons (pardon the term). I think that the sequel trilogy was hurt by Rey being too much like a superhero and Solo felt a bit like a comic book. That said, I'm not familiar with these animated characters and won't judge them until I see what they're like in live action. Maybe I'll like them, but I can't help but be a little apprehensive in the meantime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Speaking as a grumpy old school fan, I'm a little concerned that bringing elements from the various animated series into the live action is part of slowly "Marvel-izing" Star Wars. That's not the direction that I, personally, want to see the franchise go in. I want Star Wars to be influenced by literature, history, mythology, Westerns, Samurai pictures and the like, not by superheroes, comic books and cartoons (pardon the term). I think that the sequel trilogy was hurt by Rey being too much like a superhero and Solo felt a bit like a comic book. That said, I'm not familiar with these animated characters and won't judge them until I see what they're like in live action. Maybe I'll like them, but I can't help but be a little apprehensive in the meantime.

The animated series had the same influence as the originals and felt like star wars from what I've watched of it. I welcome the news of them adding elements of that to the show. I think if you liked the first season of the mandalorian you will also like elements they add from the animated show. Superheroes and comicbooks have nothing to do with the star wars animated series. They're entirely different subjects which are not related in any way. The sequel trilogy with Rey was a travesty which has even less to do with any of it.

I'd be apprehensive if Filoni wasn't the one doing it. If there's anybody I trust to bring these characters (especially Ahsoka) in properly, it's him.

Agreed, the guy gets what old school star wars fans want (and new ones can easily get into it as well).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ahsoka didn't want anything to with the Rebellion after Rebels.
Sure, but it was silly to keep her and some of the others alive during the OT IMO. That's the only problem I had with Clone Wars and Rebels, and them not breaking away from PT/OT/ST era. I won't complain too much about more Ahsoka though, one of my favorite characters in SW.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Sure, but it was silly to keep her and some of the others alive during the OT IMO. That's the only problem I had with Clone Wars and Rebels, and them not breaking away from PT/OT/ST era. I won't complain too much about more Ahsoka though, one of my favorite characters in SW.

Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly, but is this where Ahsoka was during the OT?:

Isn't she stuck in the World Between Worlds and on Malachor? I'm unsure of how long she was in/on each.

At least that's how I'm recalling it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly, but is this where Ahsoka was during the OT?:

Isn't she stuck in the World Between Worlds and on Malachor? I'm unsure of how long she was in/on each.

At least that's how I'm recalling it.

No, she returned to Malachor right after her and Ezra got away from Palpatine in the Veil of the Force. In the series finale she was seen with Sabine and it was implied they were going to go look for Ezra. As of right now, we don't know what Ahsoka was doing during the events of the OT.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If they are smart, they'll just have everything happen in a different part of the galaxy and never bring up anything or anyone from the sequel trilogy.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If they are smart, they'll just have everything happen in a different part of the galaxy and never bring up anything or anyone from the sequel trilogy.

That seems to be Disney's plan at least for the short term. But can they ignore the sequel trilogy in perpetuity? If that's the plan, they might as well de-canonize because at least then there would never be any expectations for any events to connect to or lead up to those movies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Yeah, the universe is infinite. You don't always have to go back to hott, dagobah and tatoine. There are other planets, other races... only thing they need to do is use the incredible wealth of source material that is the expanded universe. When Disney announced they weren't going to use that I didn't mind... but you need to be creative and come up with new cool stuff if that's gonna be the case. If you're creatively bankrupt like they are... just use the proven quality material from the EU that fans love and which feels like star wars. It's so easy.... They made their jobs harder for no reason. The billions they spent on this IP included the EU..... using what's already there was a no brainer. You can put your own twist on it but it takes a special kind of person to shoot themselves in the foot like that. Bravo Kathleen.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That seems to be Disney's plan at least for the short term. But can they ignore the sequel trilogy in perpetuity? If that's the plan, they might as well de-canonize because at least then there would never be any expectations for any events to connect to or lead up to those movies.

They won't have to ignore it forever. Give it time and the hate will die down enough to where they can revisit it if they want to. Although I'm not sure any of the actors from the sequel trilogy will want to come back if they want to do more with Rey, Finn, Poe, etc. They might be better off doing something that references events during the ST without actually having any of those characters in it, if they want to go back to that era.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, the universe is infinite. You don't always have to go back to hott, dagobah and tatoine. There are other planets, other races... only thing they need to do is use the incredible wealth of source material that is the expanded universe. When Disney announced they weren't going to use that I didn't mind... but you need to be creative and come up with new cool stuff if that's gonna be the case. If you're creatively bankrupt like they are... just use the proven quality material from the EU that fans love and which feels like star wars. It's so easy.... They made their jobs harder for no reason. The billions they spent on this IP included the EU..... using what's already there was a no brainer. You can put your own twist on it but it takes a special kind of person to shoot themselves in the foot like that. Bravo Kathleen.

I'd highlight the word "universe" here. The Star Wars we know is set in a galaxy, and there are plenty of other galaxies out there where 'the force' will work the same, so if they want to separate from the originals and get really creative they should go there. You can play the difference off and potential future tie in that galaxy to galaxy travel used to be a thing but for whatever reason isn't any more, which is why you have some common races like humans. If you wanted you could also cherry pick a few common elements from original series stuff that are really old like Mandalorian's or Yoda species... technically Jedi vs Sith too but I'd want to see a different take on light vs dark side of the force.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They won't have to ignore it forever. Give it time and the hate will die down enough to where they can revisit it if they want to. Although I'm not sure any of the actors from the sequel trilogy will want to come back if they want to do more with Rey, Finn, Poe, etc. They might be better off doing something that references events during the ST without actually having any of those characters in it, if they want to go back to that era.

This is Star Wars. Hate has no expiration. 20 years later, I don't see fans welcoming a revisit of Jar Jar ;).

I was thinking basically the opposite, that time will eventually allow them to brush the sequel trilogy under the rug without the embarrassment and PR hit that would come with doing it now. In other words, if they give us 10 years or more of stories that take place in the decade or two after RotJ, like The Mandalorian, by the time that they've caught up to the time period of the sequel trilogy, no one will care if they act like it didn't happen.

Reactions: Shockmaster

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know, I think people have softened on the prequels over the years. There are certainly still people who hate them, but it's not as bad as the "George Lucas raped my childhood" days. Plus, let's be honest, people these days have a short attention span. It's on to the next "worst thing ever" after they've expended themselves on whatever the current "worst thing ever" is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't know, I think people have softened on the prequels over the years. There are certainly still people who hate them, but it's not as bad as the "George Lucas raped my childhood" days. Plus, let's be honest, people these days have a short attention span. It's on to the next "worst thing ever" after they've expended themselves on whatever the current "worst thing ever" is.

No one is seething angry over Jar Jar any more, either, but that doesn't mean that they want to see him in any more Star Wars. It's been even longer since Ewoks were represented in Star Wars, yet they were still missing when the heroes visited their homeworld in The Rise of Skywalker. Similarly, fans may not eventually be as angry at the sequel trilogy as they are now, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll welcome revisiting of characters and plot points that'll remind them of it.

Reactions: Shockmaster

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Now I don't want to drag the Mandalorian thread down into the trilogy mud, but I big issue I had with the ST is in my opinion the narrow story they told hindered rather than enhanced the ability to tell further Star Wars stories. There's no imperial remnants to deal with, an expanded clone wars or purging of the Jedi story, they just kind of shrunk the universe down then blew everything up leaving at best a far less interesting copy of where the OT left off. Emperor Palpatine dead, scatter Imperial Remnants/First Order, Rebels/Resistance to build galactic new order, one last Jedi in Luke/Rei left to rebuild that order.

Getting more back on topic and tying it together, I don't think a series where a Zorii Bliss type bounty hunter takes a job from First Order remnants and the bounty ends up being a baby Maz creature is going to work out the same as The Mandalorian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad