Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I will never look at Wicket the same way again.

A lot of us who grew up with the Ewoks felt the same way. We couldn't understand why some people didn't like them. It wasn't until TPM came out, when I was an adult, that I could finally sort of relate to how adults when RotJ was released might've felt. That said, at the risk of speaking for others, I don't think that you'll find many of us who have soured on the Ewoks since becoming adults. We may see now that they were partly designed to market to children, but we still like them. I'm not sure that Jar Jar receives the same sentiment from those who liked or didn't mind him as kids. It doesn't seem like he has (m)any defenders nowadays.

The Ewoks had a real purpose in RotJ as a primitive race that the arrogant Empire disregarded and that the Rebels needed help from, because they were stretched thin. Also, the fact that they captured and were about to eat the good guys, fought and killed many stormtroopers and one even died sadly all "subverted expectations" (our favorite phrase) that they would just be cute teddy bears. Jar Jar, on the other hand, was clearly just there for comic relief and was shoehorned in as the jedis' "guide" so that he could be around all film long to provide it. There were some amusing scenes with the Ewoks, but nothing close to over the top like most of Jar Jar's scenes. My point is that, while there may be some similarities, the Ewoks and Jar Jar are far from being equal transgressions, IMO. The Ewoks get merely poo-pooed by some, while Jar Jar is straight up universally hated.

Jar Jar had a purpose in the story and the premise of an outcast finding his place was good, especially with Jedis as mentors. He was just badly executed and made into a joke. The "numbs his tongue in the stream" scene is the most cringe-worthy scene ever. And his clumsiness on the battlefield, ewwwwwwwww. Basically, they took a good idea and made it terrible by concentrating WAY TOO MUCH on the BAD humor. Outside of George Lucas, the only person that would find that kind of stuff funny is Vince McMahon.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Jar Jar had a purpose in the story and the premise of an outcast finding his place was good, especially with Jedis as mentors. He was just badly executed and made into a joke. The "numbs his tongue in the stream" scene is the most cringe-worthy scene ever. And his clumsiness on the battlefield, ewwwwwwwww. Basically, they took a good idea and made it terrible by concentrating WAY TOO MUCH on the BAD humor. Outside of George Lucas, the only person that would find that kind of stuff funny is Vince McMahon.

Unless you believe the "Jar Jar is the true Sith lord" theory, Jar Jar had no purpose in the movies what so ever outside of being the comedic relief character, which of course we know didn't turn out so well.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Except that Jar Jar pretty much doomed the republic and started the formation of the Empire by being duped into introducing the motion to give Palpatine Emergency measures that started to strip away individual rights and pretty much introduced marshal law on the republic as well as giving Palpatine the right to prosecute the war and command the military as he saw fit.

Jar Jar destroyed democracy.

And I tend to thing that was Lucas' apology for Jar Jar being over used in the Phantom menace.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Lucas is the "idea" guy. He's great at generating imaginative story directions and concepts. But he works best in a group which can not only shut down stupid or terrible ideas at inception, but polish and focus the good ideas into the best execution and form.

You give that guy total creative control and zero oversight (not to mention, only a single draft!) and you get the prequels: a few good ideas sprinkled a mountain of bullcrap and horrible execution.

Jar Jar is the worst of this because this combines with Lucas' inability to write comic relief. That's not an uncommon shortcoming, good comic relief is difficult.

Also once they leave Atlantis Jar Jar has little to no narrative role. Save the comic relief, they could have left him there and changed nothing.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Unless you believe the "Jar Jar is the true Sith lord" theory, Jar Jar had no purpose in the movies what so ever outside of being the comedic relief character, which of course we know didn't turn out so well.
He introduces the Jedi to the Naboo, which helps them get to the city.

They also lead the distraction team to allow for the capture of the Viceroy.

The problem was there was literally no reason to capture the Viceroy because the entire battle hinged on destroying the droid control ships, meaning the battle on the planet was pointless.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Lucas is the "idea" guy. He's great at generating imaginative story directions and concepts. But he works best in a group which can not only shut down stupid or terrible ideas at inception, but polish and focus the good ideas into the best execution and form.

You give that guy total creative control and zero oversight (not to mention, only a single draft!) and you get the prequels: a few good ideas sprinkled a mountain of bullcrap and horrible execution.

Jar Jar is the worst of this because this combines with Lucas' inability to write comic relief. That's not an uncommon shortcoming, good comic relief is difficult.

Also once they leave Atlantis Jar Jar has little to no narrative role. Save the comic relief, they could have left him there and changed nothing.

So... George Lucas is basically Vince Russo? :laugh:

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
He introduces the Jedi to the Naboo, which helps them get to the city.

They also lead the distraction team to allow for the capture of the Viceroy.

The problem was there was literally no reason to capture the Viceroy because the entire battle hinged on destroying the droid control ships, meaning the battle on the planet was pointless.

There was no guarantee that using the small starfighters Naboo had against the droid control ship was going to work, and until a certain ten year accidently flew in it and blew it up from inside out it wasn't working. Taking the Viceroy and forcing an end to the occupation was the only real option that would work permanently. Otherwise he'd just come back with a bigger and better equiped army.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

The headline is heavily misleading, bordering on wrong.

The results of the study show that among those who address The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson directly on Twitter to express their dissatisfaction, more than half are bots, trolls/sock puppets or political activists using the debate to propagate political messages supporting extreme right-wing causes and the discrimination of gender, race or sexuality. A number of these users appear to be Russian trolls

Of the people who addressed Rian Johnson's twitter account with negative views of the film, half were bots, trolls, or right wing political activists. Some unknown amount of those people were Russian trolls.

BTW, Russian online activities of this ilk typically involve operatives on both sides. Their goal is to create an image of a divided, dysfunctional America: trolls on both sides work to whip people into a frenzy.

(PDF) Weaponizing the haters: The Last Jedi and the strategic politicization of pop culture through social media manipulation.. Available from: (PDF) Weaponizing the haters: The Last Jedi and the strategic politicization of pop culture through social media manipulation. [accessed Oct 03 2018]

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just had a scary thought. What if you guys are Russian operatives or, worse, bots, tasked with arguing with each other to sow discord and whip up frenzy, as Finlandia WOAT said? In fact, what if ArGarBarGar (ceaseless defender of TLJ) and Philip the Third (ceaseless trasher of TLJ) are really the same person logging in to different accounts to argue with himself? What if... I'm a Russian operative and I just don't know it yet, like the Manchurian Candidate?

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I just had a scary thought. What if you guys are Russian operatives or, worse, bots, tasked with arguing with each other to sow discord and whip up frenzy, as Finlandia WOAT said? In fact, what if ArGarBarGar (ceaseless defender of TLJ) and Philip the Third (ceaseless trasher of TLJ) are really the same person logging in to different accounts to argue with himself? What if... I'm a Russian operative and I just don't know it yet, like the Manchurian Candidate?

I do it because I'm a dick but you lot might as well be Russian trolls BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL WRONG ALL THE TIME.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The lengths people will go to defend and find excuses for that **** heap of a movie is astounding.

Also, tweets @Rian Johnson =/= movie reviews

It's going to be ugly because none of them want to admit that people disliked it because the movie was poorly done.

According to them anyone who dislikes it are just trolls, sexists, racists, etc.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
That would be cool, but my hunch is they won't do too much do undo The Last Jedi. JJ and Kathleen Kennedy continue to defend that film and insist anyone who didn't like it is a racist and a sexist.
JJ is a director, not a decent writer, and before she was hired by Disney, KK used to ridicule films similar to 7 & 8 all the time. She only produced critically acclaimed films.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's going to be ugly because none of them want to admit that people disliked it because the movie was poorly done.

According to them anyone who dislikes it are just trolls, sexists, racists, etc.

What "them" are you referring to here? Anyone who enjoyed the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad