Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The new movie is going to be 3 hours?

That seems excessive considering how little story there is to wrap up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Well, if Palps is back like they teased, they are going to have to not just wrap that up, but actually explain and go over how that's possible, especially for the casual audience to follow around. The die-hards will know the lore enough to go along with it, but the casuals would think it's pretty stupid if they don't do it correctly.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Considering how The Last Jedi basically went rogue as it relates to the overall story arc of this trilogy, I'd say there's still quite a few loose ends that need tightened up. That said, I've yet to see anything saying the movie will be 3 hours long.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well, if Palps is back like they teased, they are going to have to not just wrap that up, but actually explain and go over how that's possible, especially for the casual audience to follow around. The die-hards will know the lore enough to go along with it, but the casuals would think it's pretty stupid if they don't do it correctly.

I am an extremely casual Star Wars fan and I really don't even know who Palpatine is. I know he was the guy with the robes who sorta told Darth Vader what to do, but he is not an important or barely even relevant person to casual fans like myself.

I think if they are banking on the return of Palpatine to excite casual audiences then they're in for rough go.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I am an extremely casual Star Wars fan and I really don't even know who Palpatine is. I know he was the guy with the robes who sorta told Darth Vader what to do, but he is not an important or barely even relevant person to casual fans like myself.

I think if they are banking on the return of Palpatine to excite casual audiences then they're in for rough go.

You must be very casual then, did you skip the prequels?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

giphy.gif

The point you're making is actually 100% correct. However, in regards to that Palaptine comment... I wouldn't even consider you a "casual" fan if you don't know who Palpatine is. You're just a person who has watched some Star Wars films - and apparently not the prequels.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If I was to assign a cynical meaning behind bringing Palpatine back (hopefully as a force ghost/spirit of sorts) I would think it is to entice the hardcore fans who didn't like TLJ.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Toy sales are down. Kids currently are way more into Marvel, at least the ones that I interact with.

A lot of the top toys that they put out are marketed and priced at a level for the adult audience.

I would say that this says more about the fact that Marvel is at its (likely) peak in terms of marketing through toys, which wasn't a factor in the early 2000s, and not even close in the early 80s (considering Star Wars basically paved the way for toys based on movies).

Also it seems like toy sales are sliding in general, anyway: Lights, camera but no action figures: are movie toys going out of fashion?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If I was to assign a cynical meaning behind bringing Palpatine back (hopefully as a force ghost/spirit of sorts) I would think it is to entice the hardcore fans who didn't like TLJ.
I'll be curious to see if 9 comes off as a retcon of sorts to try and not be divisive or if it'll be something that seems like it was the plan all along.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would say that this says more about the fact that Marvel is at its (likely) peak in terms of marketing through toys, which wasn't a factor in the early 2000s, and not even close in the early 80s (considering Star Wars basically paved the way for toys based on movies).

Also it seems like toy sales are sliding in general, anyway: Lights, camera but no action figures: are movie toys going out of fashion?
Maybe, I just don't see kids with the same Star Wars love as they have with MCU characters. Galaxy Edge has been below expectations too. Not to get into a discussion about the reasons for why it's this way, Star Wars just isn't the same juggernaut that it was or people thought it was before Disney.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Where has this been reported? I can't seem to find it.
From what I see, it's all related to the report that John Williams having 135 minutes of music to write, and then people are comparing previous movie times compared to its music time. I think we are going to be in for a lengthy movie, nothing too official has confirmed that, but the music is a good indicator.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Maybe, I just don't see kids with the same Star Wars love as they have with MCU characters. Galaxy Edge has been below expectations too. Not to get into a discussion about the reasons for why it's this way, Star Wars just isn't the same juggernaut that it was or people thought it was before Disney.

Your perception of their level of love for it might be anecdotal.

However, I don’t really want to talk about that but rather something else your post brings to mind. Are entertainment dollars and attention zero sum? It’s definitely seemed like the money being spent has been rising for years and years, but are we nearing the point where it’s leveling off? If it levels off and more and more product comes out, everything will have a smaller share of the pie. This concern exists on the sports side of this conversation too.

I don’t have any answers. Just something to ponder.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Personally I think it's the fact that Force Awakens borrowed heavily from ANH and they've learned that it's easier to not re-invent the wheel.

I guess I agree but I don't see it as appeasement as much as risk aversion.

As one of those hardcore fans who didn't like TLJ, I would have preferred something original only not terrible.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Your perception of their level of love for it might be anecdotal.

However, I don’t really want to talk about that but rather something else your post brings to mind. Are entertainment dollars and attention zero sum? It’s definitely seemed like the money being spent has been rising for years and years, but are we nearing the point where it’s leveling off? If it levels off and more and more product comes out, everything will have a smaller share of the pie. This concern exists on the sports side of this conversation too.

I don’t have any answers. Just something to ponder.
I agree, and that's why it's not all that interesting of a discussion.

On some level, there will be a limit to how much is spent on entertainment by consumers, but I think that amount is extremely high, and we all spend it differently. For better or worse, I think Hollywood has determined that established content is the way to go right now, so all we are getting are sequels and remakes. They aren't even remaking franchises that should be remade or that we want remade.

I think you still see big franchises like Marvel or SW make a ton like they have been, especially if the content is top notch. Lucasfilm needs to understand the market and what they want more, so they avoid a Solo disaster again once the movies tied to the originals are over. That'll be the interesting thing for me, how does SW do in the theater once the connection to the originals is over.

I think we are already seeing some not getting a piece of the pie. Plenty of remakes have failed because the interest isn't there and that's the market saying we aren't going to spend just to spend, but there is a limit. Remaking franchises when there isn't an interest for them will fail.

A lot of the increased money being spent can just be attributed to inflation. I bet the % of discretionary consumer spending has stayed pretty consistent.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The score is 135 minutes according to John Williams' brother Don. It will be used "fully" but even then, the movie is probably looking at 2 hours 40-45 minutes (my guess).

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The score is 135 minutes according to John Williams' brother Don. It will be used "fully" but even then, the movie is probably looking at 2 hours 40-45 minutes (my guess).

Was he also the one who said he'd be using every notable main theme from the entire saga in the score? I'd love to get a little Duel of the Fates in this one, and the Emperor's theme.

Reactions: GabeTravels

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Bloomberg - Star Wars Is Struggling to Win Over the Next Generation of Kids

-Disney’s $4 billion bet on Lucasfilm hits surprising apathy
-Galaxy’s Edge attraction weighs on results instead of helping

It’s hard to say this, as someone who grew up pretending to be Han Solo battling Darth Vader and his stormtroopers to rescue Princess Leia. But it must be said: Kids might not be into Star Wars anymore.

Walt Disney Co.’s underwhelming theme-park attendance last quarter was the latest sign that the intergalactic saga isn’t resonating for younger generations raised on Iron Man and Fortnite.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I mean what did they expect? The hype was there to kick off the Disney Star Wars era, but I'd say they royally botched it by not having a clear cut direction start to finish for the trilogy. Probably near impossible to catch kids interests the same way the OT did, but handing control of episode VII to a guy who's interest was recreating OT nostalgia then handing episode VIII off to a guy who tossed out VII''s plans and thought it would be really cool to 'subvert our expectation's ' is certainly no damn way to go about doing it.

Seems like the Disney execs were so busy creating a spin off business plan that they didn't bother plotting the core attraction and just pantsed it instead of plotting it (there was a good article on Game of Thrones/ASoIF about plotters vs pantsers after the finale, planning things out vs flying by the seat of your pants). I mean there are plenty of established Star Wars guys around, couldn't they have gone and hired someone like Timothy Zahn to plan and write episodes VII-IX before they started filming?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->