Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I haven't even re-watched it since it came on Netflix. I guess that makes me a political troll.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I am sure by next December I will be super hyped up about it again.

You can’t buy excitement like that. Let’s enjoy the buildup and give them the chance to make it a great film and experience

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm certainly excited about it. I will probably never not be excited about a Star Wars movie, except for one that looks like it will be super pandering to the "fans" like Solo came across.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think it will still do huge numbers. I don't think Solo's failure is indicative of much other than "don't even try and release near The Avengers".

Reactions: NyQuil

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
People went to see Revenge of the Sith even after the pile of crap that was Attack of the Clones (And Phantom Menace before that)

People will go and see it even if they weren't fond of The Final Jedi simply because it is final part of trilogy and conclusion to Star Wars story arc spanning from Phantom Menace thru whatever this one shall be called

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'll probably see this, but i was really excited for Rian Johnsons now axed stand alone trilogy. Can't get into anything abrams does.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think it will still do huge numbers. I don't think Solo's failure is indicative of much other than "don't even try and release near The Avengers".

That and there was still a lot of angst towards The Last Jedi at the time. Disney should have pushed Solo back to December.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It’s going to make a ton of money

They always do, even with fan dissatisfaction.

My main concern about IX is that because Johnson did his own thing in VIII that JJ will have to cram too much into this movie to bring the saga to a satisfactory conclusion.

Reactions: NyQuil

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't think there is any way it has a "satisfactory ending". It already feels completely removed from the "Skywalker Saga" at this point; like we have taken a 2 movie detour.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To me, having a satisfactory ending means having questions answered, but I can't really think of any unanswered questions that The Last Jedi left us with. Rey learned her (lack of) lineage, she tried and failed to convert Kylo, she turned into a Jedi, Snoke and Luke left the picture and there's really no uncertainty about the other characters' trajectories. It's certainly not like The Empire Strikes Back, which ended without any resolution and with a load of questions (about whether Vader was telling the truth about being Luke's father, whether Luke would be tempted to the dark side and whether Han would be back in the final episode). It may as well have just ended with "To Be Continued" because that's how it felt.

With this current trilogy, it feels like you could call it a wrap right now and the story would seem somewhat complete, without there being much need for an Episode 9 that simply shows the Resistance coming back and winning, as we all expect. The only uncertainty is how the Resistance will do that, but that certainly doesn't generate much anticipation on my end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
To me, having a satisfactory ending means having questions answered, but I can't really think of any unanswered questions that The Last Jedi left us with. Rey learned her (lack of) lineage, she tried and failed to convert Kylo, she turned into a Jedi, Luke left the picture and there's really no uncertainty about the other characters' trajectories. It's certainly not like The Empire Strikes Back, which ended without any resolution and with a load of questions (about whether Vader was telling the truth about being Luke's father, whether Luke would be tempted to the dark side and whether Han would be back in the final episode). It may as well have just ended with "To Be Continued" because that's how it felt.

With this current trilogy, it feels like you could call it a wrap right now and the story would seem somewhat complete, without there being much need for an Episode 9 that simply shows the Resistance coming back and winning, as we all expect. The only uncertainty is how the Resistance will do that, but that certainly doesn't generate much anticipation on my end.

sorry but this doesn't add up.

Rey learned her lineage purely from what Kylo Ren told her.

Same way Luke learned his purely from what Vader told him.

If whether Vader was telling the truth was an open question at the end of Empire then you have to say Rey's lineage is also an open question. There has been no definitive answer.

In fact both situations are basically identical, down to Vader/Kylo saying "look in your heart, you know its true" and both of them saying it to try to get Rey/Luke to join them on the dark side.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Johnson was trying to set up a movie that basically shows what happened after 6. Luke and friends win the right to change society, now we'll show what they did with it. Rey's Parents is going backwards. Plus the reveal became a popular refrain among the peeps who vocally disliked it. Plus imo it was something they shouldn't have stretched over two movies in the first place.

If they're doing that, it's getting overtly retconned in the 1st trailer.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
sorry but this doesn't add up.

Rey learned her lineage purely from what Kylo Ren told her.

Same way Luke learned his purely from what Vader told him.

If whether Vader was telling the truth was an open question at the end of Empire then you have to say Rey's lineage is also an open question. There has been no definitive answer.

In fact both situations are basically identical, down to Vader/Kylo saying "look in your heart, you know its true" and both of them saying it to try to get Rey/Luke to join them on the dark side.

I can't argue with this. You're absolutely right.

Still, it feels a little different, though, because there doesn't seem to be much doubt that Kylo was telling the truth--most fans accept it--whereas there was a lot of doubt that Vader was. There was a great deal of debate between ESB and RotJ over the matter. In fact, rumor is that, on the advice of a child psychologist, Lucas had Yoda confirm Vader being Luke's father in RotJ because of the fear that children wouldn't accept the news unless it came from a trustworthy character. I think that Lucas wanted there to be debate and doubt after ESB, but wanted all of it put to rest in RotJ.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think the Rey's lineage thing is really heavily focused on by Star Wars aficionados but to me that was just one very small aspect of the movie.

Reactions: CanadianHockey

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
What do you guys think needs to happen for this movie to make big bucks? I’m guessing it will make more than the last Jedi based on it being the final of the sequel trilogy. But to be very good at the box office, closer to force awakens numbers I think will require something above and beyone

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What do you guys think needs to happen for this movie to make big bucks? I’m guessing it will make more than the last Jedi based on it being the final of the sequel trilogy. But to be very good at the box office, closer to force awakens numbers I think will require something above and beyone
Be a competent movie.

There was a vocal contingent that HATED TLJ and called it the worst thing ever and that still made boatloads of cash. I do not anticipate it matching TFA in sales just because of how hyped that movie was and it was the right kind of movie to satisfy the Star Wars fandom on fan service alone.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Be a competent movie.

There was a vocal contingent that HATED TLJ and called it the worst thing ever and that still made boatloads of cash. I do not anticipate it matching TFA in sales just because of how hyped that movie was and it was the right kind of movie to satisfy the Star Wars fandom on fan service alone.

Other studios also stayed out of the way of The Force Awakens, and essentially conceded the Christmas period to Disney.

There's more competition as there was for The Last Jedi.

It's still a safe bet for the $500-600M level, The Force Awakens numbers are going to be hard to duplicate for any star wars film.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

If it replicates The Last Jedi it is making "Big Bucks"

The Last Jedi made $620.1M at North American Box Office (8th all time) and $1,332.5B at worldwide (11th alltime). That is "Big" bucks no matter how you slice it

There is no way even if sequel is loved that it reaches the level or close to of the Force Awakens which had so much going for it and with SW out of public eye at box office for almost a decade and the rotten taste the prequels left in people's mouths (Episode III wasn't bad but 1-2 are atrocious) as well as having draw of the original cast to draw in older fans

Reactions: LarKing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad