Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
By all the time you mean once? They had only minor changes between 1979 and when Enterprise went off the air. Their culture, behavior, etc. had pretty minimal retconning, it was mostly expansion of them.

I'm thinking specifically of the weird space sickness from Enterprise that made them look like moustachioed humans (that I fortunately have only read about).

Honestly I don't see a huge change between Discovery and the 80's/90's Klingons. The makeup changed - so what. The Klingons we meet aren't all "gang of ancient sea pirates" in temperment - they don't feel out of place.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm thinking specifically of the weird space sickness from Enterprise that made them look like moustachioed humans (that I fortunately have only read about).

Honestly I don't see a huge change between Discovery and the 80's/90's Klingons. The makeup changed - so what. The Klingons we meet aren't all "gang of ancient sea pirates" in temperment - they don't feel out of place.
Genetic engineering, and it was touched on in earlier series to explain the huge visual difference.

The Klingons in Discovery were definitely acting difference than in previous series. That was an entire plot point of season 1...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I thought it was a pretty decent season premiere. Been wanting to see Rebirth of the Federation used as a concept for a while now, so it'll be interesting to see where they take this.

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
I surprisingly enjoyed it. Looking forward to see the re-rise of the federation. Also there was a dude the same species as Morn!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched the episode. The writing on this show continues to be so bad.

For example, it felt strange to see Burnham panicking while she was looking for other people and then celebrating like she won the lottery when she found them. She acted like the most Human of characters there, whereas she's been portrayed as very Vulcan-like at other times. It's as if the writers are just using her mixed heritage as an excuse to have her act emotional and irrational, like a Human, when it suits certain situations and logical and rational, like a Vulcan, when it suits others. It makes her bipolar and there's no consistency like there was with Spock (Nimoy's Spock).

Also, later, a guy activates a cloaking device on his cargo and Burnham, as if she's being clever, deduces out loud that he doesn't want anyone else to find it. Duh. Shortly after, she acts shocked that the Federation is gone and says "that's impossible," even though she went 900 years into the future. What did she expect? That's like expecting the Knights Templar to still be active today. Then, after hearing some more, she repeats "that's not possible" and exposits for the audience's sake that the Federation is not about ships and warp drives, but about a vision and all those who believe in that vision :facepalm:. Speaking of which, it's nice to have a character soapboxing about Starfleet values after she was given a life sentence for mutiny.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I just watched the episode. The writing on this show continues to be so bad.

For example, it felt so strange to see Burnham's over-the-top celebration when she learned that there are other people around. It's like the writers are using her mixed heritage (a Human who was raised on Vulcan) as an excuse to have her act like the most calculating, logical Vulcan in some situations and the most emotional, irrational Human in others. There's no consistency like there was with Spock (Nimoy's Spock).

Also, later, the guy activates a cloaking device on his cargo and Burnham, as if she's being clever, deduces out loud that he doesn't want anyone else to find it. Shortly after, she acts shocked and saddened that the Federation is gone and even says "that's impossible," even though she went 900 years into the future. What did she expect? That's like expecting the Knights Templar to still be active today. Then, after hearing some more, she repeats "that's not possible" and exposits for the audience's sake that the Federation is not about ships and warp drives, but about a vision and all those who believe in that vision :facepalm:. Speaking of which, it's so nice to have a character soapboxing about Starfleet values after she was given a life sentence for mutiny.
There was a lot of bad dialogue, but I actually started laughing when she was looking towards the crashed ship in the distance and said out loud "walking", as if the audience couldn't figure out that she was going to walk towards the crashed ship without exposition. :laugh:

Burnham is from a time period where the Federation is less than 100 years old and is just now emerging from its growing pains. The plots of seasons 1 and 2 both involved existential threats to the very existence of the Federation. So why is it that someone from that time period can't fathom that it's not around 900 years in the future? She sounds more like someone from the TNG era of Star Trek where there has been hundreds of years of relative stability and Starfleet is so comfortable that the Enterprise-D is like a flying hotel conference center. Someone going 900 years in the future is like if William the Conqueror got transported from 1066 into modern times, would they be in awe that the political situation was not exactly the same and find the exact same culture with only minor technology changes?

Also wasn't Daniels from the century Burnham was transported to?

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It not getting any better IMO

I hope this ends up being the final season. Only current Trek has ever made me feel that way.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There was a lot of bad dialogue, but I actually started laughing when she was looking towards the crashed ship in the distance and said out loud "walking", as if the audience couldn't figure out that she was going to walk towards the crashed ship without exposition. :laugh:

Maybe the script had "[Walking]" written in it and she interpreted it as dialogue for her character :sarcasm:.

Blender said:
Burnham is from a time period where the Federation is less than 100 years old and is just now emerging from its growing pains. The plots of seasons 1 and 2 both involved existential threats to the very existence of the Federation. So why is it that someone from that time period can't fathom that it's not around 900 years in the future?

Also, she personally saved the Federation twice before, so why is she so surprised that it died out when she wasn't around to save it a third time? If only she had a time travel suit with which she could go back in time and warn the Federation.

I hope this ends up being the final season.

You'll be happy to hear that Season 4 reportedly begins filming next month.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oh and I almost forgot one of the most jarring things in the episode, that someone who murdered probably a dozen people in the episode spent the rest of it moralizing about how much better the old days of the Federation were.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
She doesn't say "walking" she says "walk"... basically telling herself to move even though she's injured. Unless I misheard it, but I'm pretty sure you guys misheard it. Of course, after walking what looks like a few miles on an injured hip, she's immediately able to go up against Book in hand-to-hand combat, which was admittedly a little ridiculous.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Quite enjoyed that episode. Michelle Yeoh seems to be having fun with this role to the level that fistpumped almost when Georgiou beat up almost all of those people.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Quite enjoyed that episode. Michelle Yeoh seems to be having fun with this role to the level that fistpumped almost when Georgiou beat up almost all of those people.

Mirror Georgiou is pretty much the only non-adversary character in 700+ episodes of Star Trek that I actively dislike. I know that she’s supposed to be straddling the line here between friend and adversary, but her just being a jerk in every single scene has become really grating.

That being said, that second episode was a major improvement on the first one.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The episode was a big improvement over the first because there was no Burnham in it until the very end. It still had a wealth of irritating characters, but, even collectively, they weren't as bad as Burnham by herself. If only they'd kill her off and center the show around Saru, we might get more episodes like that one.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
First time I got a "classic Trek" feeling this show. The solution to the issue was exactly that. A diplomatic one. Quite enjoyed the episode. Figures they'd have non-binary actor playing a Trill. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the latest episode last night. I figured that nothing else that I could watch on Halloween would be scarier than what CBS is doing to Star Trek. I was right. That was the most melodramatic and eye-rolling episode of the series yet.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
First time I got a "classic Trek" feeling this show. The solution to the issue was exactly that. A diplomatic one. Quite enjoyed the episode. Figures they'd have non-binary actor playing a Trill. :laugh:
Is she a popular actress? I never saw her before.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I watched the latest episode last night. I figured that nothing else that I could watch on Halloween would be scarier than what CBS is doing to Star Trek. I was right. That was the most melodramatic and eye-rolling episode of the series yet.
:laugh:

I stopped watching it after episode 1 like I said I would. I can find other things to fill my 45-60 minutes.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
:laugh:

I stopped watching it after episode 1 like I said I would. I can find other things to fill my 45-60 minutes.

Yeah, I have more shows that I want to watch than I have time for. Last night, I really started to wonder why I continue to watch this.

It was really bad. All episode long, it tried exceedingly hard to tug at emotional heart strings. It felt like a soap opera. For example, Saru offers the Captain's chair to Burnham, who then gives a grand speech about how it's his now because he earned it, with everyone on the bridge listening and looking almost misty eyed. Later, Saru and Burnham have a long private chat about it, which is just more time for the writers to have their two main characters flatter each other. Even later, much of the crew gets shore leave and Saru tells Burnham that she can join them, but she responds, "I think I'll admire the view from here... <long dramatic pause>... with you" :confused:. Burnham is like Starfleet's Pierre McGuire.

There's also a scene at the end in which all of the low-ranking officers (Tilly and all of the bridge crew that no one knows the names of) hug a tree. I kid you not. They hug a tree, then stare towards the camera as it pulls back a mile, the classic Star Trek theme plays and the episode ends. It's so cheesy that you'd think that it's from the 80s or a parody, but it's not.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad