Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Should of made a series that takes place after the Dominion war and have stories about the recovery process.

We can then have stories about people dealing with PTSD. Stories involving worlds hit hard from the war and trying to rebuild. Stories about the powers trying to make peace with the Cardassians work. So many good stories could of been made.
On the other side - why not both? Or go back to the Delta Quadrant and do it right this time? Maybe just do another five-year mission series? Do a show set on Earth? I mean the possibilities for Star Trek are f***ing vast, but the developers seem stuck in a f***ing box by trying to shoehorn Spock into everything or make sure to reference Picard or etc.

That was one of my issues with Enterprise - it just felt like you're limiting the universe instead of expanding it by having all of these nods - either direct or not - to ToS and TNG. I think you can do it every now and then and it will be fun (DS9 Tribble episode, for instance), but ultimately if you're just telling the same stories over and over, you're not doing a whole lot.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Some new Short Treks were quietly dropped earlier this month.

Q & A
This is so incredibly cringy and stupid. It's just 10 minutes of Spock asking Number One questions in a turbolift, followed by the two of them singing. Yes, you read that right: Spock sings. At the end, Number One tells him to erase his memory of it. I wish that I could erase my memory of having watched this.

The Trouble With Edward
This is one is significantly better. Biologist Edward wants to experiment on Tribbles, but the new acting Captain of his science vessel doesn't like the idea. It's a little eye rolling that every Star Trek incarnation has to have a Tribbles episode, but at least this one adds some interesting backstory and serves as a prequel to The Trouble With Tribbles. It's not as funny as it tries to be, but it's quite watchable.

Ask Not
This might be the best one. Pike argues with an ensign during a Tholian attack on the Enterprise. It does exemplify the writers' strange fascination with quoting Starfleet regulation, but, thankfully, it doesn't go on for too long. This is the most serious of the three Short Treks and features Pike the most, so, yeah, it's probably the best, even though it's a really short 7 minutes long (not counting the credits).

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
STAR TREK's TV Universe Still Expanding; Kurtzman Reveals TWO MORE Live-Action Series in the Works • TrekCore.com

Apparently 2 more Trek shows are in the works right now, beyond just the already-discussed spinoffs (that no one wanted) for Eeeevil Capt Georgieau and Section 31 (because when I think of what the Trek universe needs more focus on, it's shifty, morally dubious characters doing morally dubious, shifty things).

Rumors are that #1 is a proposed focus on Starfleet Academy, which I imagine the execs will get a hold of and just turn it into a generic teen soap opera (so basically Dawson's Creek or Riverdale, but in space).

The speculation for #2 though might be a Pike/Spock focused series, presumably following the 5-year mission of the pre-Kirk Enterprise.

Yes please. I'm still not 100% on Discovery's Spock, but Anson Mount was basically the only thing consistently worth watching in season 2 of Discovery and I'll watch the hell out of a show with him and Rebecca Romijn doing real Trek stuff instead of pretending that he franchise needs to be all edgelord now to garner viewers.

Of course they would probably make the series be all edgelordy and have Pike constantly whinge about having lost Vina on Talos and knowing of his own impending crippling via future vision shenanigans. All while Number One struggles to suppress her everyone-can-see-it feelings for Pike out of a fear that wooing the captain makes her less effective as an officer. And they'll probably have Yeoman Colt show up, except she's like an ex-junkie single mom raising a half-alien kid who got into Starfleet as a yeoman through a much-derided future equivalent of a community college track so she could provide a better life than the broken one she grew up in.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
STAR TREK's TV Universe Still Expanding; Kurtzman Reveals TWO MORE Live-Action Series in the Works • TrekCore.com

Apparently 2 more Trek shows are in the works right now, beyond just the already-discussed spinoffs (that no one wanted) for Eeeevil Capt Georgieau and Section 31 (because when I think of what the Trek universe needs more focus on, it's shifty, morally dubious characters doing morally dubious, shifty things).

Rumors are that #1 is a proposed focus on Starfleet Academy, which I imagine the execs will get a hold of and just turn it into a generic teen soap opera (so basically Dawson's Creek or Riverdale, but in space).

The speculation for #2 though might be a Pike/Spock focused series, presumably following the 5-year mission of the pre-Kirk Enterprise.

Yes please. I'm still not 100% on Discovery's Spock, but Anson Mount was basically the only thing consistently worth watching in season 2 of Discovery and I'll watch the hell out of a show with him and Rebecca Romijn doing real Trek stuff instead of pretending that he franchise needs to be all edgelord now to garner viewers.

Of course they would probably make the series be all edgelordy and have Pike constantly whinge about having lost Vina on Talos and knowing of his own impending crippling via future vision shenanigans. All while Number One struggles to suppress her everyone-can-see-it feelings for Pike out of a fear that wooing the captain makes her less effective as an officer. And they'll probably have Yeoman Colt show up, except she's like an ex-junkie single mom raising a half-alien kid who got into Starfleet as a yeoman through a much-derided future equivalent of a community college track so she could provide a better life than the broken one she grew up in.
Anson Mount carried season 2 and he was great in Hell on Wheels, so that's the only one I'd want.

Or just make a completely new future Star Trek and cast Anson Mount as the lead.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Cancel discovery and do a Anson Mount series.

Of better yet have a mirror universe version of Mount and the Enterprise who's only goal is to kill Michael and the Discovery and have him succeed.

As far as a Star Fleet Academy season, meh, the video game was actually surprisingly good, but a whole series of Wesley Crusher types is my fear. Maybe they'll make the main character a young, party capable human named Brandon.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A series about Starfleet Academy has been something that's interested me for a long time, probably ever since the few TNG episodes that focused on cadets or ensigns. It'd be neat to have each season be a different year of Starfleet training until graduation and separate deployment. That said, the folks in charge of the franchise would probably mess it up by deliberately targeting it at the 20-something crowd and making it more personal drama ala 90210 than smart and scientific.

To change the subject, I watched the latest Short Trek, Children of Mars, last night. It's OK and has a good message for children, but it's really short (about 5 minutes, not counting 3 minutes of credits) and forgettable and felt a bit like a rip off of Starship Troopers. The only really notable thing about it is the photo-realistic CGI that the whole thing is animated with, which is impressive.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
CTV Sci-Fi (aka the rebranded Space) has "coming soon" ads for Discovery that are nothing more than Burnham (now with super long hair implying a ton of time has passed) standing on a ruined and desolate-looking world defiantly holding a tattered Federation logo flag.

It's seriously like they have no awareness of everything that's wrong with how they position the series and its characters. Let's just make Mary Sue Space Jesus look like even more of an over-glorified hero by having her metaphorically appear to be the last bastion of the Federation standing up for it in a chaotic and deteriorating world.

:laugh:

Reactions: Osprey

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Was reading today that the 3rd season has different showrunners again, making it so that each season has had different folks in charge.

There was also a story about noted author Walter Mosley, who had joined the series' writers' room and left shortly thereafter because after he had told a story about a racist cop pulling him over and insulting him up to and including calling him the n-word, someone had reported him (Mosley) to Paramount's HR department for his use of the n-word, earning him a reprimand and placing him on notice about his language even though he had only said it in the context of retelling a story and in reference to what someone had said to him. He decided that getting to work on Star Trek wasn't worth the nonsense with HR and he walked away.

Seriously, some of the background of getting this show made sounds like a total gong show.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Was reading today that the 3rd season has different showrunners again, making it so that each season has had different folks in charge.

There was also a story about noted author Walter Mosley, who had joined the series' writers' room and left shortly thereafter because after he had told a story about a racist cop pulling him over and insulting him up to and including calling him the n-word, someone had reported him (Mosley) to Paramount's HR department for his use of the n-word, earning him a reprimand and placing him on notice about his language even though he had only said it in the context of retelling a story and in reference to what someone had said to him. He decided that getting to work on Star Trek wasn't worth the nonsense with HR and he walked away.

Seriously, some of the background of getting this show made sounds like a total gong show.
Long gone are the days where they would have fought to incorporate his life experience into the show in some way instead of reprimanding him for telling the story.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Apparently the writer's room has history of bad language usage:

Author Walter Mosley Quits 'Star Trek: Discovery' After Using N-Word in Writers Room

Although Mosley, who is black, did not reveal which show he departed, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that it was CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery. That series, renewed in February for its third season with its third showrunner, has experienced serious issues of abusive language in its writers room in the past.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In fairness, most HR departments would probably react the same way. What it probably speaks more to is the atmosphere in the writers room if one would report him for that.

Long gone are the days where they would have fought to incorporate his life experience into the show in some way instead of reprimanding him for telling the story.

Long gone are the days when the writers rarely, if ever, saw one another because they worked from home and sent in their scripts. #SerializedShowProblems ;)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Cancel discovery and do a Anson Mount series.

Of better yet have a mirror universe version of Mount and the Enterprise who's only goal is to kill Michael and the Discovery and have him succeed.

As far as a Star Fleet Academy season, meh, the video game was actually surprisingly good, but a whole series of Wesley Crusher types is my fear. Maybe they'll make the main character a young, party capable human named Brandon.

I think season 3 might be the last.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Really cringeworthy trailer. If a trailer is suppossed to sell a reason to sell it, this is a mess.

Green is such a horrifically bad actress and they've built the show around her. Her attempts to act out emotions is really awkward to watch. I'll watch it because I'm a star trek fan, but ugh.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Really cringeworthy trailer. If a trailer is suppossed to sell a reason to sell it, this is a mess.

Green is such a horrifically bad actress and they've built the show around her. Her attempts to act out emotions is really awkward to watch. I'll watch it because I'm a star trek fan, but ugh.
She was terrible in The Walking Dead, I never understood how they decided she could carry a show.

I agree that trailer was awful. At least they through them into the future so they can't retcon the franchise anymore.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
She was terrible in The Walking Dead, I never understood how they decided she could carry a show.

I think that it was that they hoped that she could carry a show. I think that they loved that she was from a super popular show and is a black female, which Star Trek had never had a show led by. Both things seriously limited their search. Add in that she needed to be around 30 years old and no longer on that show and there just aren't that many actresses who fit all of those criteria. What they should've done, IMO, is looked for the best actress that they could get, and if the choice came down to a few equally capable women, perhaps use their recognizability and diversity as the tie breaker, but it seems to me that they did it backwards.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I don't think she's that good of an actress but in Green's defense the Burnham character is so awfully written there's really no actress on earth who could do anything with that role.

Sure I can't disagree. except that when she's needed to act an emotion its terrible. Half the time its almost like she's reading notes off of a cue card. She's just awful.

I'd be interested to see what other actors auditioned for that role.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Star Trek does that all the time.
By all the time you mean once? They had only minor changes between 1979 and when Enterprise went off the air. Their culture, behavior, etc. had pretty minimal retconning, it was mostly expansion of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad