Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Which channels?

nerdertic got into trouble and they took down I think three of his videos and he was limited in what he could do
Egotastic also got into trouble during a live feed of the Picard trailer release

the other ones were more on the lower levels that belonged to the "none aligned worlds " group--their channels got killed because of previous complaints from CBS

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
nerdertic got into trouble and they took down I think three of his videos and he was limited in what he could do
Egotastic also got into trouble during a live feed of the Picard trailer release

the other ones were more on the lower levels that belonged to the "none aligned worlds " group--their channels got killed because of previous complaints from CBS

If this means Nerdrotic, then I call it karma because he was one of those pushing the anti-Captain Marvel/Bri Larson bullshit.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
If this means Nerdrotic, then I call it karma because he was one of those pushing the anti-Captain Marvel/Bri Larson bull****.

I will admit I was one of his fans for a good long while however, I have unsubbed from due to his constant bashing of female actors.

Reactions: Mimsy

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I watched all of Enterprise for the first time earlier in the year as my first non Discovery Star Trek. I am now trying to watch TNG and am 17 episodes into season 1 and holy hell does this show suck so far. I have read people saying the first couple of seasons are trash but it is the best Trek series overall but at this point it is a chore to sit through this. Most of the episodes have predictable and overly simplistic stories, the acting is up and down, and it lacks the immersion factor.

So far based on Season 1 Enterprise is orders of magnitude better than TNG, even if Enterprise's first season wasn't perfect.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will admit I was one of his fans for a good long while however, I have unsubbed from due to his constant bashing of female actors.

I agree. He is a an old school nerd but he has some valid opinions on why trek has gotten so bad. He did a few videos on the writing who quit and did that OP ed piece--it sheds some light on why the show is so bad.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I agree. He is a an old school nerd but he has some valid opinions on why trek has gotten so bad. He did a few videos on the writing who quit and did that OP ed piece--it sheds some light on why the show is so bad.

If he didn't bash female actors every chance he got, I would gladly be a fan of his again as he does have some great talking points on trek.

Reactions: Jussi and Mimsy

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I watched all of Enterprise for the first time earlier in the year as my first non Discovery Star Trek. I am now trying to watch TNG and am 17 episodes into season 1 and holy hell does this show suck so far. I have read people saying the first couple of seasons are trash but it is the best Trek series overall but at this point it is a chore to sit through this. Most of the episodes have predictable and overly simplistic stories, the acting is up and down, and it lacks the immersion factor.

So far based on Season 1 Enterprise is orders of magnitude better than TNG, even if Enterprise's first season wasn't perfect.
You could always skip to season 3, but it wouldn't count as a real TNG experience. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched all of Enterprise for the first time earlier in the year as my first non Discovery Star Trek. I am now trying to watch TNG and am 17 episodes into season 1 and holy hell does this show suck so far. I have read people saying the first couple of seasons are trash but it is the best Trek series overall but at this point it is a chore to sit through this.

If you're not sure if you can make it, you could always jump ahead to Season 3 and see if you start liking it more. If you don't like Season 3, then the show may just not be for you and you'll avoid wasting a lot of time. If you do like it, though, it might make it easier to go back and watch the rest of Seasons 1 and 2, knowing, yourself, that plodding through them will be worth it... or you could never go back. Don't worry that you'll miss story by doing that because, unlike most shows nowadays (including Discovery and even Enterprise), episodes are mostly self contained and don't necessarily need to be watched in order.

Actually, if you decide to do that, I recommend cherrypicking a few Season 2 episodes to watch first, before heading to Season 3. They are:

Elementary, Dear Data (S2E3)
Measure of a Man (S2E9)
Q Who (S2E16)

Those are the best episodes of Season 2 and, to my recollection, the only ones that set up situations that are revisited in later seasons.

Most of the episodes have predictable and overly simplistic stories, the acting is up and down, and it lacks the immersion factor.

I hate to say this, but that's just how the series is and how nearly all series were before the mid 90s, when it started to become popular to serialize them (maintain one story over a whole season so that each episodes picks up where the last left off). When episodes are self contained, they're going to tend to seem simplistic and predictable and not immersive in comparison to modern series. The Simpsons and Seinfeld have the same issue. We just don't expect anything more with them. With TNG, it helps to learn to appreciate its nature by treating each episode as an individual, short, science fiction story, instead of as a chapter in a long, epic novel as you would with newer series. That said, TNG does get slightly more complex and immersive after the first couple of seasons, but don't expect anything like modern series because that's just not how it was structured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Punisher

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

As far as rating seasons... TNG is one of the only shows to ever get better pretty much every year until it ended. There are individual S3 episodes that are better than some S7 episodes, but overall...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I haven't watched the trailer (and can't, I'm presuming because of regional restrictions) but looking at the thumbnail all I can think is "how the hell long is the time skip we're getting that her hair has grown that much?"

Also I read this comic this morning and immediately thought of Discovery

1572348507-openbordersbonus-6.png

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda t.v. show has Captain Dylan Hunt part of the Systems Commonwealth who is aboard the Andromeda Ascendant gets caught at the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, freezing both in time. 300 years later his ship is pulled out and he learns the Systems Commonwealth has fallen. He then works to create a new Systems Commonwealth.

Star Trek Discovery season 3 takes place long in the future. From the trailer looks like the Federation is no more and there are those who are trying to create a new Federation and Michael Burnham is the hope for making it happen.
star-trek-season-3-1570319051.jpg

Seems like those writing Star Trek Discovery keep taking ideas from other things and incorporating into the show and of course making Michael Burnham all important to everything.

I wish the show would just be cancelled already it is by far the worst series and nothing so far makes me think that will change.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda t.v. show has Captain Dylan Hunt part of the Systems Commonwealth who is aboard the Andromeda Ascendant gets caught at the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, freezing both in time. 300 years later his ship is pulled out and he learns the Systems Commonwealth has fallen. He then works to create a new Systems Commonwealth.

Star Trek Discovery season 3 takes place long in the future. From the trailer looks like the Federation is no more and there are those who are trying to create a new Federation and Michael Burnham is the hope for making it happen.
star-trek-season-3-1570319051.jpg

Seems like those writing Star Trek Discovery keep taking ideas from other things and incorporating into the show and of course making Michael Burnham all important to everything.

I wish the show would just be cancelled already it is by far the worst series and nothing so far makes me think that will change.

The change you seek is in yourself. :nod:

Seriously though... not that they shouldn't try, but it's awfully hard to come up with "original" science fiction at this point. I mean, after over 700 Star Trek episodes, many with their own self-contained story, however many movies, other TV shows and movies, novel series... it's truly hard to write any good sci-fi that is purely original. It's the reason why the speculative fiction literary landscape has been so dull for the last decade or so. You get the occasional one... NK Jemison's stuff, for example... otherwise nearly everything is derivative in some way at this point. And don't give me The Expanse (books or TV show). It's great, but hardly original.

So mostly what's left is execution. Which is what makes The Expanse (books and TV show) so good.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Personally I managed to watch the first season of this series, and basically felt very bad for doing even that. This series at least during the first season just forgot what Starfleet is all about.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Personally I managed to watch the first season of this series, and basically felt very bad for doing even that. This series at least during the first season just forgot what Starfleet is all about.

We've had a lot of discussion around here about that... but it's worth mentioning that part of the point of the first season was that Starfleet was in the midst of an identity crisis. It was a conscious decision. The advisability of doing that in the first season of the first Star Trek show in more than a decade can definitely be questioned. As can the execution of conveying said concept.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
We've had a lot of discussion around here about that... but it's worth mentioning that part of the point of the first season was that Starfleet was in the midst of an identity crisis. It was a conscious decision. The advisability of doing that in the first season of the first Star Trek show in more than a decade can definitely be questioned. As can the execution of conveying said concept.
I'm thinking about watching this again, would you recommend just watching S3 or watching S2 before?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm thinking about watching this again, would you recommend just watching S3 or watching S2 before?

I liked the second season a fair amount, where I only liked the first season a little. Still not *great* but I think it’s worth checking out.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ehh, I'll consider it. So many bad things I've read about it.

About season 2? I thought the reviews were also a fair amount better than the season 1 reviews were?

Though I could be mistaken, since I barely pay attention to reviews.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm debating whether to even watch season 3. Might check the first episode out, and unless I'm blown away I'll just stop. Show has been pretty terrible overall, and I thought Anson Mount completely carried season 2 and his Pike adaptation was the only real redeeming thing about it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The change you seek is in yourself. :nod:

Seriously though... not that they shouldn't try, but it's awfully hard to come up with "original" science fiction at this point. I mean, after over 700 Star Trek episodes, many with their own self-contained story, however many movies, other TV shows and movies, novel series... it's truly hard to write any good sci-fi that is purely original. It's the reason why the speculative fiction literary landscape has been so dull for the last decade or so. You get the occasional one... NK Jemison's stuff, for example... otherwise nearly everything is derivative in some way at this point. And don't give me The Expanse (books or TV show). It's great, but hardly original.

So mostly what's left is execution. Which is what makes The Expanse (books and TV show) so good.

That excuses coincidental similarities, but not ripping off ideas, IMO. There's a difference between whether it's done unknowingly or knowingly. The Discovery writers might not have any familiarity with Andromeda and the similarities that Ducks mentioned could well just be coincidence, and that would be fine, but this has happened before in this show with the similarities between Season 1 and that Tardigrades game. When it's hard to dismiss one set of similarities as pure coincidence, it's harder to dismiss others as coincidence.

As for The Expanse, I'm certainly not familiar with all of the sci-fi stories out there in movies, TV shows and books, but its basic premise felt original to me. The premise of humans colonizing much of the solar system, but not beyond, and then having those colonies turn on one another was new to me. It has some similarities with other genres--for example, there's merit in calling it "Game of Thrones in space"--but I think that borrowing from other genres and adapting their ideas to sci-fi is perfectly acceptable. That's not ripping off, whereas lifting premises and story ideas from the same genre (other sci-fi in this case) is, IMO.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I might stick with it for a bit to start the season only because I have fun cutting it to pieces with you guys. I'd have gone nuts a long time ago without this community of frustrated shared outrage. :laugh:

Still wish we could just cut bait on Discovery and have a knowingly-contained 3-5 year Pike's Enterprise series instead. God forbid we get fun and interesting characters to follow instead of Mary-Sue Space-Jesus' Power Hour.

Reactions: Osprey

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The one thing I don't like - why does all of this shit need to be a re-tread/tie in to either TNG or ToS? Why can't we have a new show with new characters dealing with new problems?

I say that as someone who likes Discovery - I would have just preferred it being self-contained without all of the forced tie-ins to ToS with Pike and Spock.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
The one thing I don't like - why does all of this **** need to be a re-tread/tie in to either TNG or ToS? Why can't we have a new show with new characters dealing with new problems?

I say that as someone who likes Discovery - I would have just preferred it being self-contained without all of the forced tie-ins to ToS with Pike and Spock.

Should of made a series that takes place after the Dominion war and have stories about the recovery process.

We can then have stories about people dealing with PTSD. Stories involving worlds hit hard from the war and trying to rebuild. Stories about the powers trying to make peace with the Cardassians work. So many good stories could of been made.

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad