Staples Twitter: Staple Column Plus Stape Chat Today!

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Am I the only one who thinks Lee doesn’t deserve $7 million per? Yes, he’s a great goal scorer. But that’s literally all he does. He sits in front of the net and pounds home rebounds and deflects pucks. Definitely useful and he’s one of the best at it, but that doesn’t make you a $7 million player. He doesn’t create offense, he’s not a great playmaker, he can play physical at times but he’s not an overly physical player, and while he has a good shot he doesn’t use it a ton. He’s a pretty one dimensional player and I just don’t feel comfortable giving a player like that a ton of money.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Staple is somewhat bullish on Ladd....I'm not quite sure I'm the same level but I've been saying/thinking that if he can have somewhat of a bounce back year and be effective, our team balance is SO much better. Who knows what the story with him is (health, not gelling here, etc.) but if he starts contributing (along with Nelson who at least has motivation in a contract year), we can roll 4 lines, which would be nice.

That is somewhat surprising but encouraging. Ladd was essentially sold to us as a Okposo replacement that year (though he is a LW), we all penciled him in as Tavares winger, he played his way down to the bottom of the forward group but now that Tavares is gone i'm curious to see if he is given opportunity to play with more finesse players and get his production back up.

He fell off big time since he signed here. I just don't see him replacing Lee or Beauvillier, so it's tough to figure out how to get him going, aside from putting him on a line with Filpulla and Ho-Sang who can get him the puck.

Reactions: bioman22

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Lou has said a few times, when you have time on your side, use it. Anders does not have to be signed right now, they should see how he performs in the new system and without Tavares. Before the deadline, evaluate where he's at and offer him a fair contract accordingly. If he doesn't accept by the deadline, you've got to get as much as you can for him in trade. Same goes for Eberle and any other pending UFA from here on out.

Reactions: PWJunior

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think Lee deserves in the neighborhood of $7m. A a hometown discount, I'm guessing he'll settle on something a bit under. Where the issue lies is what the term will be. The dude is a physical specimen but he takes a beating. He probably won't settle for a 5 year deal but I'm sure an 8 year deal is a non-starter. So what do we give him? 6 years....7? 7 year deal seems like a long time for Lee and the game he plays.
Better to play big and be big than play big and be small (see eg., Peca). Lee is kinda like a Tim Kerr (shortened career) and Dave Andreychuk (effective at 40). If he signs for 8 years we're talking about 36-37 years old at the end of the contract. Of course, by then $7 million might be 3rd line money. :laugh:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lou has said a few times, when you have time on your side, use it. Anders does not have to be signed right now, they should see how he performs in the new system and without Tavares. Before the deadline, evaluate where he's at and offer him a fair contract accordingly. If he doesn't accept by the deadline, you've got to get as much as you can for him in trade. Same goes for Eberle and any other pending UFA from here on out.
You realize the value of a UFA to be is greater when you have him for the full season rather than 2 months right? Give them the best offer now and if a deal can't be reached shop them. This is the lesson that should've been learned from having to trade Vanek for a used jock strap at the deadline.

Reactions: dano16

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You realize the value of a UFA to be is greater when you have him for the full season rather than 2 months right? Give them the best offer now and if a deal can't be reached shop them. This is the lesson that should've been learned from having to trade Vanek for a used jock strap at the deadline.

I do understand he would fetch more now with a full season left under contract. But, I'd be very happy with a return similar to what the Rangers got for Rick Nash at the deadline.... and considering Lee is better, and makes less money, there's a good chance more teams would be in on him at the deadline.

Nash returned
1st rounder
7th rounder
Ryan Spooner (good 3rd line C)
Matt Beleskey (decent bottom 6 LW)
Ryan Lindgren (Two way defense prospect)

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Lee could return
1st
3rd
3rd line C (needed)

Best case is he signs a team friendly contract for 5-6 years, but this isn't a bad outcome if Lou doens't get him signed. The reason Vanek returned so little was because everyone knew he was bolting for Minny and had (at the time) a history of being somewhat of a difficult sign unless you're tossing big money at him.

But even use Vanek as an example... Buff traded him a month into the season and he brought them a 1st, 2nd and Moulson.

Reactions: PWJunior

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The problem with "wait and see" is what are you waiting to see? If you're waiting to see what the opening roster looks like....fine. We can re-sign him in October, no problem. But if you want to wait until the TDL or the end of the season, you may be poisoning the well and causing real problems. The time to get the hometown discount is now. Sign him now and you probably get Lee for 6 or 7 years for slightly under $7m AAV. Wait til the end of the year and its fully Market rate.

I'm not sure what LL wants to see....at least when it comes to Anders Lee. We fully know the strengths and limitations of the player. If you want to see how he produces without Tavares, that's a long wait. Can't really judge a veteran on one month of play. So if that's his plan, we are basically in to January and we are letting one of our core pieces dangle in the wind. Not a real smart move.

He may just want to wait and see how Lee performs without JT? Or if Lee fits the style they want to play? Or just get a general feel for his game? Spitballing here.

By Dec if Lee is playing well and LL likes his game, they talk long term.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Am I the only one who thinks Lee doesn’t deserve $7 million per? Yes, he’s a great goal scorer. But that’s literally all he does. He sits in front of the net and pounds home rebounds and deflects pucks. Definitely useful and he’s one of the best at it, but that doesn’t make you a $7 million player. He doesn’t create offense, he’s not a great playmaker, he can play physical at times but he’s not an overly physical player, and while he has a good shot he doesn’t use it a ton. He’s a pretty one dimensional player and I just don’t feel comfortable giving a player like that a ton of money.

I agree with you and those players don't tend to age well either. I have no problems giving him $5-6million on a multi-year deal or even $7milion if the term is short.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Good point you make about systems. Still, I don't see any system rendering Lee obsolete. He still gives defensemen big time headaches and is a beast on rebounds, we still need a net front presence of some sort.

Also, Lee's skillset is very hard to replace - there is no one in the farm that brings what he does.

Eberle on the other hand is skilled, but can be replaced relatively easily, either internally by Wahlstrom or Beauvillier (who can play RW and has a wicked shot) or perhaps via trade down the line.

Eventually I think we do see the killer B's Line of Bellows-Barzal-Beauvillier

Eberle is a 60 point player. Wahlstrom and Beauvillier might be one day, or they might not. Eberle is. There is nobody in the prospect pool who can easily replace Eberle's production.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lowballing guys on contract offers has worked out so well for this organization so I see no reason not to continue to do so. This is a real terrible trend for this organization: nickle and dime the talented guys and shower total 4th line garbage in money.

This 100%. I mean we get guys like Tavares, Bailey, Okposo, etc. to sign fairly team friendly deals and save a few million...then turn it around and give it to 4th liners. It doesn't make any sense that we get reasonable contracts for key players, but significantly overpay our 4th liners.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Don't be nervous. Because worst case is they are traded and the team gets assets back.

I fully expect Lee to be re-signed. Eberle I'm not so sure of because of guys like Ho-Sang, Bellows, Walhstrom( I expect him to push for a roster spot in 19/20).

Who knows maybe MDC flips the switch.

I'm expecting the exact opposite. I think Eberle will be signed and Lee is a goner. Guy like Lee knows that his career is on a Mark Parrish type trajectory and his play style will eventually wither him away. He'll be looking for a pay day. Eberle is going to be okay with a cost of living increase and he's going to love playing with Barzal. That's my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Frankie41987

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
There is no way, no chance I go near 8 million for Anders Lee. With him, I would "wait and see." We all disagree about this several times already, but Eberle to me is the safer bet for the foreseeable future. I think you could get him signed long term for like 6 million per year and I think his production will be the same this year, if not even better. If I had to bet, I would double down on Anders Lee not even sniffing 30 goals this year, let alone 40 (unless another real 2C is brought in). Anders Lee is the type of player who relies on the players getting him the puck, Eberle can create his own offense. When is the last time you have ever seen Anders Lee go end to end and put the puck in the net? Has it ever happened? He stands in front of the crease or picks up rebounds in the slot. No doubt he has great hands and is willing to take a beating, all great traits in a power forward, but even Bailey can create his own offense at times. Lee in my opinion will be by far the most impacted by Tavares leaving. Time will tell if I am right, but I would not be surprised to see Lee settle in as a 20-25 goal scorer consistently moving forward. Still useful if we can keep everybody, but I see Eberle and his chemistry with Barzal and see a 30-35 goal scorer potential for the next 5-6 years with his style of play.

I don't always agree with you, but when I do it's 100%. I need a dos equis meme for this one!

Reactions: Frankie41987

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm expecting the exact opposite. I think Eberle will be signed and Lee is a goner. Guy like Lee knows that his career is on a Mark Parrish type trajectory and his play style will eventually wither him away. He'll be looking for a pay day. Eberle is going to be okay with a cost of living increase and he's going to love playing with Barzal. That's my opinion anyway.

I'm leaning the same way... if only one of them are retained, it will likely be Eberle. 60+ point top six RW's are just harder to replace.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Lowballing guys on contract offers has worked out so well for this organization so I see no reason not to continue to do so. This is a real terrible trend for this organization: nickle and dime the talented guys and shower total 4th line garbage in money.
honestly thought 6.75 x 6 for Lee was fair for both sides ; that takes him up to 35 .

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Definitely useful and he’s one of the best at it, but that doesn’t make you a $7 million player. He doesn’t create offense, he’s not a great playmaker, he can play physical at times but he’s not an overly physical player, and while he has a good shot he doesn’t use it a ton. He’s a pretty one dimensional player and I just don’t feel comfortable giving a player like that a ton of money.

Conversely, guys that take abuse in front of the net and can score are rare. And, you can't overlook the positive tangential effect on other players' scoring because he is in front of the goalie wreaking havoc.

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
you score goals in this league you are going to get paid. if it was so easy to just stand it front and bang in rebounds then there would be a lot more 40 goal scorers.
he may be one dimensional but is a dimension you NEED!

he may take less to stay here with term but once he hits the open market he's going to get paid a lot.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Don't be nervous. Because worst case is they are traded and the team gets assets back.

I fully expect Lee to be re-signed. Eberle I'm not so sure of because of guys like Ho-Sang, Bellows, Walhstrom( I expect him to push for a roster spot in 19/20).

Who knows maybe MDC flips the switch.

I'd normally agree, but with Evander Kane getting that MONSTER contract, gotta think that guys like Lee enter a whole sphere of demands on the open market.

His agent will definitely let him know what he should be demanding. And then Lou will have a tough decision to make.

But first: What can Lee do without Tavares as his center? Is he still popping in 30-35 goals if one of Kovar, Filppula or Nelson is manning his line?

If he does get that many for us this season, I'm gonna bet right now that half of them are on the PP.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
honestly thought 6.75 x 6 for Lee was fair for both sides ; that takes him up to 35 .
I don't think that deal is unreasonable. But I do think he'd insist on that 7th year. And I think the Islanders would have to give it to him. If they want to lock him up easily.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Johnson's contract almost seems like Lou wants to insure he can send Ross down and nobody will pick him up on waivers

I think that his one-way contract only means that he gets his NHL salary, regardless of where he plays.

I don't believe it means that he has to go through waivers to play for BPort. He'll just get the same salary if/when he's there.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If he does get that many for us this season, I'm gonna bet right now that half of them are on the PP.

It's going to be interesting to see how Lee functions at ES on a line that's going to have to dump and chase much more than he had to with Nervous Breakdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad