Staples Twitter: Staple Column Plus Stape Chat Today!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
But they don’t. Okposo, Nielsen, Tavares, de Haan, etc. All gone for nothing. All replaced with unproven talent.

Maybe it changes with Lou. I would not be surprised if the TDL comes and the isles are chotically trying to trade/sign the Eberle, Lee.

Don't combine the previous regime with this one. It's night and day.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It's very interesting that NYI is not dealing with Lee's contract right now. One has to imagine that as time goes on, Lee's asking price has to go up (because he's sacrificing security as time passes).

It seems to me that Lee's value to a team will depend on their PP system. Lee really only can play around and behind the net on the PP, so he doesn't really facilitate puck movement. Systems that are based around getting the goalie moving (as opposed to limiting the goalie's vision) don't play to Lee's strengths. I wonder if this is the worry/thinking about Lee going forward. In that circumstance, NYI probably want to resign Eberle.

Good point you make about systems. Still, I don't see any system rendering Lee obsolete. He still gives defensemen big time headaches and is a beast on rebounds, we still need a net front presence of some sort.

Also, Lee's skillset is very hard to replace - there is no one in the farm that brings what he does.

Eberle on the other hand is skilled, but can be replaced relatively easily, either internally by Wahlstrom or Beauvillier (who can play RW and has a wicked shot) or perhaps via trade down the line.

Eventually I think we do see the killer B's Line of Bellows-Barzal-Beauvillier

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Some early notes:

- Doesn't see this as a rebuild
- Not sure about Scott Stevens but Trotz prob has the most say in coaches
- Isles are still into analytics and work with a company in Russia (????!??) on stats
- Don't expect the Vegas model, they built their team from the ground up and the Isles already have a base to work with
- Don't expect Barzal as captain right away (I'm guessing it'll be a rotation of A's)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The cap space is irrelevant right now. They would have to be a cap strapped team for it to impact anything. I’m more concerned about the 4 years to play hockey for the isles.

If a contract is so bad that no one will pick the player up when they go though waivers, that isn’t a good thing.

I would absolutely agree with this premise 99% of the time. This is the 1%.

Ross Johnston’s role is so specific... “punching people in the face.” So this deal as structured essentially allows the Isles to create an extra roster spot if/when needed

As the Isles improve and a “Face-Puncher” is too costly a luxury as a (cap hit and or roster spot) he can be moved down and called up only as needed.

And the above is still WORST case scenario. Best case scenario is that he actually continues to improve on the small promise he did display last year and becomes a cheap useful player.

I don’t see how he harms anything but the owners’ wallet.

Last edited:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
On JT leaving: "Been talking to a few players over the last weeks and everyone is excited -- it's certainly some mixed emotions with seeing Tavares leave and the circus surrounding that, but new GM and new coach has everyone pretty pumped, it seems. Such a strange few weeks but they're pros, they want to get started and prove to everyone they can win without Tavares."

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
There is no way, no chance I go near 8 million for Anders Lee. With him, I would "wait and see." We all disagree about this several times already, but Eberle to me is the safer bet for the foreseeable future. I think you could get him signed long term for like 6 million per year and I think his production will be the same this year, if not even better. If I had to bet, I would double down on Anders Lee not even sniffing 30 goals this year, let alone 40 (unless another real 2C is brought in). Anders Lee is the type of player who relies on the players getting him the puck, Eberle can create his own offense. When is the last time you have ever seen Anders Lee go end to end and put the puck in the net? Has it ever happened? He stands in front of the crease or picks up rebounds in the slot. No doubt he has great hands and is willing to take a beating, all great traits in a power forward, but even Bailey can create his own offense at times. Lee in my opinion will be by far the most impacted by Tavares leaving. Time will tell if I am right, but I would not be surprised to see Lee settle in as a 20-25 goal scorer consistently moving forward. Still useful if we can keep everybody, but I see Eberle and his chemistry with Barzal and see a 30-35 goal scorer potential for the next 5-6 years with his style of play.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
At $8 million, Lee would be the 3rd highest paid LW in the league behind Ovi and Benn.

Ovi-Benn-Lee.

Sounds like a Star Wars character....

In the last two seasons here are the guys who've scored more goals then Lee:

Ovechkin
Laine
Kucherov
Malkin

I understand the concern about giving him something like 8 X 8 but Lee is a premier goal scorer in the NHL. Top 5 in fact, if he put's up another 40 goals, he will get that contract, whether from us or someone else.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

Ovechkin
Laine
Kucherov
Malkin

I understand the concern about giving him something like 8 X 8 but Lee is a premier goal scorer in the NHL. Top 5 in fact, if he put's up another 40 goals, he will get that contract, whether from us or someone else.
He has been a premier goal scorer with John Tavares, lets wait and see if he still is without him. I would bet big money he will not be. You cannot give 8 million to a guy who might be a 20-25 goal scorer moving forward. He is the one guy I am on board with the "wait and see" philosophy before signing him to a ridiculous contract.

Reactions: IODCPiper

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Good point you make about systems. Still, I don't see any system rendering Lee obsolete. He still gives defensemen big time headaches and is a beast on rebounds, we still need a net front presence of some sort.

It won't render him obsolete, but it could push him off the 1st PP unit. I mean, look how Washington ran their PP. They want to change shooting lanes and work low to high. They want players cycling through the slot, not standing in front of the net waiting to get their heads taken off by Ovi. It's possible NYI move in that direction with Pulock being the key of the PP.

Also, Lee's skillset is very hard to replace - there is no one in the farm that brings what he does.

I completely agree with all of this. There aren't many guys who have the size/strength/skill combo. Guys like Todd Bertuzzi and John Leclair. Lee isn't as good as Leclair, but he's in that vein and those are few and far between.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
It won't render him obsolete, but it could push him off the 1st PP unit. I mean, look how Washington ran their PP. They want to change shooting lanes and work low to high. They want players cycling through the slot, not standing in front of the net waiting to get their heads taken off by Ovi. It's possible NYI move in that direction with Pulock being the key of the PP.

I completely agree with all of this. There aren't many guys who have the size/strength/skill combo. Guys like Todd Bertuzzi and John Leclair. Lee isn't as good as Leclair, but he's in that vein and those are few and far between.

Regarding the PP, one of the most valuable things Lee does on the PP is take away the goalies eyes and secondly, draws the immediate attention of often both defenders. Performing these two things often never end up on the stat sheet but result in PP goals. He has led this team in PP goals the last two years and that will not change going forward.

The Tavares factor is almost laughable if you actually watch how he scores goals. You could count one hand how many tap in assists 91 has to 27. Does collecting a loose rebound and finishing count as creating his own offense? Its hard to fathom how someone can score 40 goals but yet does not create offense. Lee led the NHL last year in percentage of primary points for any player over 60pts.

Does anyone realize that Lee has more primary assists to the former captain the last two years than 91 to 27. Are Toronto fans asking how 91 will do without 27?

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He has been a premier goal scorer with John Tavares, lets wait and see if he still is without him. I would bet big money he will not be. You cannot give 8 million to a guy who might be a 20-25 goal scorer moving forward. He is the one guy I am on board with the "wait and see" philosophy before signing him to a ridiculous contract.
I would bet the same big money that he will still be a goal scorer. 25 was his first year goal total. Lou and everyone else will discover that he is the real deal.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think it will take a lot to push our leading goal scorer off of PP1. Scratches head.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Regarding the PP, one of the most valuable things Lee does on the PP is take away the goalies eyes and secondly, draws the immediate attention of often both defenders. Performing these two things often never end up on the stat sheet but result in PP goals. He has led this team in PP goals the last two years and that will not change going forward. The Tavares factor is almost laughable if you actually watch how he scores goals. You could count one hand how many tap in assists 91 has to 27. Does collecting a loose rebound and finishing count as creating his own offense?

How is this a response to what I said? I can't disagree with any of it - if clogging up the netfront - chips, screens deflections, rebounds - is how you want to run the PP there's nobody better than Lee. It's a question about whether NYI want to run it that way. Many teams don't, which is all I was saying.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
How is this a response to what I said? I can't disagree with any of it - if clogging up the netfront - chips, screens deflections, rebounds - is how you want to run the PP there's nobody better than Lee. It's a question about whether NYI want to run it that way. Many teams don't, which is all I was saying.

Not disagreeing with you, but it is my guess that those teams do not have that prototypical power forward to perform that role.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Staple is somewhat bullish on Ladd....I'm not quite sure I'm the same level but I've been saying/thinking that if he can have somewhat of a bounce back year and be effective, our team balance is SO much better. Who knows what the story with him is (health, not gelling here, etc.) but if he starts contributing (along with Nelson who at least has motivation in a contract year), we can roll 4 lines, which would be nice.

Reactions: xECK29x

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Ovechkin
Laine
Kucherov
Malkin

I think Lee deserves in the neighborhood of $7m. A a hometown discount, I'm guessing he'll settle on something a bit under. Where the issue lies is what the term will be. The dude is a physical specimen but he takes a beating. He probably won't settle for a 5 year deal but I'm sure an 8 year deal is a non-starter. So what do we give him? 6 years....7? 7 year deal seems like a long time for Lee and the game he plays.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On JT leaving: "Been talking to a few players over the last weeks and everyone is excited -- it's certainly some mixed emotions with seeing Tavares leave and the circus surrounding that, but new GM and new coach has everyone pretty pumped, it seems. Such a strange few weeks but they're pros, they want to get started and prove to everyone they can win without Tavares."

Prove they can be better without Tavares. Sounds like a 2018-19 season rallying cry. Coach Trotz could use this as a unifying motivational coaching technique. Who knows, maybe the Isles do better than expected this year without Judas?

Reactions: bigtim1988

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Prove they can be better without Tavares. Sounds like a 2018-19 season rallying cry. Coach Trotz could use this as a unifying motivational coaching technique. Who knows, maybe the Isles do better than expected this year without Judas?

There are so many question marks for this team that it's so hard to know what to expect. I mean, there are scenarios where some players take off to the next level and the Islanders challenge for a playoff spot. And there are some scenarios where there are disappointments and injuries and the team finishes dead last. So what's expected - about the same in the standings as last year? In that case, I think NYI will probably do as expected.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think Lee deserves in the neighborhood of $7m. A a hometown discount, I'm guessing he'll settle on something a bit under. Where the issue lies is what the term will be. The dude is a physical specimen but he takes a beating. He probably won't settle for a 5 year deal but I'm sure an 8 year deal is a non-starter. So what do we give him? 6 years....7? 7 year deal seems like a long time for Lee and the game he plays.
6 x 6.75

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
There will be lots of bulletin board material.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Ugh. Lou is making me nervous. Let’s see what all our skill guys can do in their UFA years. Meanwhile Ross the Boss they saw enough of.

I obviously give Lou the benefit of the doubt and we will see how this all pans out but the wait and see approach doesn’t work well for the isles. Guys leave. The good ones. And we end trying to plug the ‘intangible’ guys into holes they can’t fill.
If Eberle or Lee was willing to sign a 4 year deal below the maximum bury able amount, I'm sure they'd be signed.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I could handle that. Remember though: Kane just got 7x7. It would be nice if Lee settled for less but he has every right to ask for as much as he can.
Kane is 2 or 3 years younger and plays a different game. I think Lee will probably hold out for 7 years - the Islanders will press for 6. My guess is Lee wins that negotiation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad