Staples Twitter: Staple Column Plus Stape Chat Today!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
But they don’t. Okposo, Nielsen, Tavares, de Haan, etc. All gone for nothing. All replaced with unproven talent.

Very good point - and my MAIN problem with Snow: asset management!

Unless you have a very doggone good reason to believe that you're current club is going on a long and competitive playoff run, then any upcoming UFAs (of value) you can't or don't want to re-sign before the trade deadline needs to be moved. An asset cannot simply be allowed to walk and become a non-asset.

I know some don't like that point of view. I know some don't agree with it.

But it leaves your club in a position of strength from a business standpoint at just about all times.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Did Art saying anything about Nelson and his upcoming arbitration hearing?

He was back and forth about him. Says its a big year for him. Not sure whether Trotz thinks he's a C or W. Interested to see what the middle six looks like - specifically as to whether Kovar or Nelson centers the remaining line (thinks Filppula is slotted in as the #3C).

All barring a trade of course.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Very good point - and my MAIN problem with Snow: asset management!

Unless you have a very doggone good reason to believe that you're current club is going on a long and competitive playoff run, then any upcoming UFAs (of value) you can't or don't want to re-sign before the trade deadline needs to be moved. An asset cannot simply be allowed to walk and become a non-asset.

I know some don't like that point of view. I know some don't agree with it.

But it leaves your club in a position of strength from a business standpoint at just about all times.

Hindsight is 20/20 for sure and looking back, the team was absolutely naive and mistaken for not moving Tavares. During the moment though, I was convinced that he was re-signing (as were they apparently) so I was of the opinion that we shouldn't move him. The team would have absolutely taken crap for trading/marketing him, but we would probably have 2 more 1st round picks coming up. It may have even been Ottawa's as they clearly would have preferred Tavares over Duchene. And telling him that he was going to be put on the market would probably have gotten him to sign - given his school boy ass a wake up call.

This debacle will probably change the way they do business going forward. Other teams as well. If you don't get that absolute commitment from a player (meaning the extension signed), you need to explore moving him. It worked out for the TBL with Stamkos but obviously we got screwed.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think that his one-way contract only means that he gets his NHL salary, regardless of where he plays.

I don't believe it means that he has to go through waivers to play for BPort. He'll just get the same salary if/when he's there.

If Johnson gets send down to Bport he goes on waivers. My point about Lou making him almost waiver proof means that I don't see a team picking him up due to term on contract if that happens, so Lou can spend the entire season calling him up and down and not worry a team will pick him off waivers

Reactions: PWJunior

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did Art saying anything about Nelson and his upcoming arbitration hearing?

Since Lamoriello is evaluating everyone, he's not in a rush to give out multi-year deals to guys like Nelson, Lee, and Eberle right now. Nelson will probably take the one year arbitration deal and management will evaluate after the season if he isn't traded before then.

Reactions: PWJunior

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Since Lamoriello is evaluating everyone, he's not in a rush to give out multi-year deals to guys like Nelson, Lee, and Eberle right now. Nelson will probably take the one year arbitration deal and management will evaluate after the season if he isn't traded before then.

Just saw his arbitration hearing is far in the future. I saw Trouba's is tomorrow.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If Johnson gets send down to Bport he goes on waivers. My point about Lou making him almost waiver proof means that I don't see a team picking him up due to term on contract if that happens, so Lou can spend the entire season calling him up and down and not worry a team will pick him off waivers
Exactly. And remember, Lou hired cap/contractual guru Pelligrini to advise on such matters. They know what they are doing.

Reactions: dood

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
When it comes to Anders Lee, I'm more concerned with how much longer he can continue doing what he does without completely wearing down. It's much more likely someone like Eberle continues to produce at the same level into his early/mid 30's because he's not taking a beating every night.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
When it comes to Anders Lee, I'm more concerned with how much longer he can continue doing what he does without completely wearing down. It's much more likely someone like Eberle continues to produce at the same level into his early/mid 30's because he's not taking a beating every night.
as much as I admire Anders Lee for everything he brings on and off the ice I have to agree here. Hopefully both parties can agree what's fair or unfortunately it's trade deadline stuff coming up....

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Lowballing guys on contract offers has worked out so well for this organization so I see no reason not to continue to do so. This is a real terrible trend for this organization: nickle and dime the talented guys and shower total 4th line garbage in money.

I've complained about this for years in the Snow regime. He made a practice of taking a favorable deal from talented, loyal, homegrown players and then not paying them fair market value when they leverage went to the players side. In this regard, he deserved to lose tavares.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I like hearing this. When a new GM/President comes in. Best to evaluate and then make moves. The Sabres this year are making much more many moves I notice since Botterill has taken over. The more I look at it, the more I think Lou is setting the table for the 19-20 season. Another high pick, added to Wahlstrom and Dobson. Things are looking plenty bright for the Isles in 1 to 2 years time. This may be a year where I just watch Barzal and see if he can hit the 80 pt mark again. Which is not a bad thing knowing the end goal is to win a cup, and not just sneak into the playoffs only to be ousted in the 1st rd.

Reactions: dood and xECK29x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad