Staples Twitter: Staple Column Plus Stape Chat Today!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
You know nothing Arthur Staple.

But in fairness, nothing is leaking from Lou.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Ugh. Lou is making me nervous. Let’s see what all our skill guys can do in their UFA years. Meanwhile Ross the Boss they saw enough of.

I obviously give Lou the benefit of the doubt and we will see how this all pans out but the wait and see approach doesn’t work well for the isles. Guys leave. The good ones. And we end trying to plug the ‘intangible’ guys into holes they can’t fill.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Ugh. Lou is making me nervous. Let’s see what all our skill guys can do in their UFA years. Meanwhile Ross the Boss they saw enough of.

I obviously give Lou the benefit of the doubt and we will see how this all pans out but the wait and see approach doesn’t work well for the isles. Guys leave. The good ones. And we end trying to plug the ‘intangible’ guys into holes they can’t fill.

Don't be nervous. Because worst case is they are traded and the team gets assets back.

I fully expect Lee to be re-signed. Eberle I'm not so sure of because of guys like Ho-Sang, Bellows, Walhstrom( I expect him to push for a roster spot in 19/20).

Who knows maybe MDC flips the switch.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

light-switch-gif-8.gif

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Never really thought about that. That is weird.

However, I guess they want to wait and see if Lee and Eberle are guys to commit long term to? Stape said in the article that Lee could get 7x8 on the open market, and that scares the life out of me. To me, I think he's worth giving 8 years to, but not at $8M. The 40 goal season, and other UFA contracts probably has him looking that way, however.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Never really thought about that. That is weird.

However, I guess they want to wait and see if Lee and Eberle are guys to commit long term to? Stape said in the article that Lee could get 7x8 on the open market, and that scares the life out of me. To me, I think he's worth giving 8 years to, but not at $8M. The 40 goal season, and other UFA contracts probably has him looking that way, however.

The problem with "wait and see" is what are you waiting to see? If you're waiting to see what the opening roster looks like....fine. We can re-sign him in October, no problem. But if you want to wait until the TDL or the end of the season, you may be poisoning the well and causing real problems. The time to get the hometown discount is now. Sign him now and you probably get Lee for 6 or 7 years for slightly under $7m AAV. Wait til the end of the year and its fully Market rate.

I'm not sure what LL wants to see....at least when it comes to Anders Lee. We fully know the strengths and limitations of the player. If you want to see how he produces without Tavares, that's a long wait. Can't really judge a veteran on one month of play. So if that's his plan, we are basically in to January and we are letting one of our core pieces dangle in the wind. Not a real smart move.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013

They're not related. Ross is just being paid as insurance and a guy to protect the young guns down in Bridgeport.

Reactions: dood

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's very interesting that NYI is not dealing with Lee's contract right now. One has to imagine that as time goes on, Lee's asking price has to go up (because he's sacrificing security as time passes).

It seems to me that Lee's value to a team will depend on their PP system. Lee really only can play around and behind the net on the PP, so he doesn't really facilitate puck movement. Systems that are based around getting the goalie moving (as opposed to limiting the goalie's vision) don't play to Lee's strengths. I wonder if this is the worry/thinking about Lee going forward. In that circumstance, NYI probably want to resign Eberle.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Someone ask him the percentages and odds on Lee being re-signed. 80/20
80/20. Those are the same odds that Tavares would give you that he will order a hot dog for lunch when he is next in line at a hot dog stand (gotta check with Aryne first).

Reactions: SI90

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Don't be nervous. Because worst case is they are traded and the team gets assets back.

I fully expect Lee to be re-signed. Eberle I'm not so sure of because of guys like Ho-Sang, Bellows, Walhstrom( I expect him to push for a roster spot in 19/20).

But they don’t. Okposo, Nielsen, Tavares, de Haan, etc. All gone for nothing. All replaced with unproven talent.

Maybe it changes with Lou. I would not be surprised if the TDL comes and the isles are chotically trying to trade/sign the Eberle, Lee.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
They're not related. Ross is just being paid as insurance and a guy to protect the young guns down in Bridgeport.

Ya. Not sure I buy that. People seem to be assuming he is just going to be waived and play out his days for BPT. I’m pretty sure he is here to play for the Isles for 4 more years. He might spend some time with BPT but he is definately spending time with the isles. You don’t sign someone for 4 years on a one way deal to just bury him for 4 years. Ross is gong to be on the roster for Belmont.

Reactions: dood

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
80/20. Those are the same odds that Tavares would give you that he will order a hot dog for lunch when he is next in line at a hot dog stand (gotta check with Aryne first).
And when the guy asks him what he wants on the hot dog, he can't decide and just stands there with a dumbfounded look on his face.

Reactions: Stercrazy

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ya. Not sure I buy that. People seem to be assuming he is just going to be waived and play out his days for BPT. I’m pretty sure he is here to play for the Isles for 4 more years. He might spend some time with BPT but he is definately spending time with the isles. You don’t sign someone for 4 years on a one way deal to just bury him for 4 years. Ross is gong to be on the roster for Belmont.

Yes that is exactly what will happen. However, the point is that if the cap space becomes dire... he can absolutely be put in Bridgeport if required.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I think bwing a little cautious with Lee is the right thing at the moment. See how he does without Tavares and then make a choice. No point in locking him up to a huge deal until a little into the season

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe TO has trouble finding linemates that work with Tavares and we extract some assets from them for Lee (but have a secret deal that he re-signs with us next summer). :sarcasm:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Yes that is exactly what will happen. However, the point is that if the cap space becomes dire... he can absolutely be put in Bridgeport if required.

The cap space is irrelevant right now. They would have to be a cap strapped team for it to impact anything. I’m more concerned about the 4 years to play hockey for the isles.

If a contract is so bad that no one will pick the player up when they go though waivers, that isn’t a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->