GDT: Stanley Cup Qualifier Game 3: Leafs @ CBJ - Aug. 6th, 8:00 PM ET - NBCSN - SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Something tells me we go 7 D. Double shifts for Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander down with Clifford & Spezza. Helps fill Jake's void by committee on the back end. Different style guys for different situations. Also if one is really struggling, he can just sit him and go with the other. Flip side is it'll give our top 4 a little extra ice and maybe some uneven matchups. Definitely think it'll be 7 D tonight
For different situations, you can rotate betwen Sandin and Marincin. I wouldn't mind it.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Marincin is tall and has a good wing span with his stick, but man he is just so uncoordinated and trips over himself which is why I never could understand Babcock always putting him in the line up. If he plays heres hoping for a miracle of play from him.

Reactions: fahad203

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Marincin is tall and has a good wing span with his stick, but man he is just so uncoordinated and trips over himself which is why I never could understand Babcock always putting him in the line up. If he plays heres hoping for a miracle of play from him.

He’s a cheap 6/7 D. It was better to have him in the press box then the other guys we we were trying to develop in the AHL.

Unfortunately our defence core is allergic to being healthy.

Reactions: Cobra777

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Confirmed that it'll be 6 D. Marincin and not Sandin to which Bieksa said "thank god"? I don't get it. What's Bieksa have against 7D or Sandin?

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Am I missing something? I get that Marincin has a good stick and can PK decent but why would anybody ever put him in over Sandin.

Reactions: Ratboy

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He can walk if he chooses when the deal is up.
I'm as negative about this contract as anybody in terms of him being able to walk when it runs out, but I try to look at it positively:
  1. If he continues his progression as a dominant player the Leafs should make a run or two at the cup within that time frame
  2. If they make a final or two, or win a cup or two, he's not going anywhere. He'll retire here playing every game of his career in the Leafs jersey
  3. If the team doesn't succeed within that time frame, it's probably time to move on anyway. There are a number of excellent UFA's that same summer, shown below. (Definitely no Matthews but some cheaper options if he wants to leave)
Screenshot_20200806-193554.png

If he's hell-bent on testing the UFA market you thank him for his time here and you use that cap room to improve the team depth and re-tool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200806-193554.png
    Screenshot_20200806-193554.png
    535.6 KB · Views: 0

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
No not marincin nooooo. He's gotta be the worst 7 D in the league.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Habs fan coming in peace.

Goodluck to the Leafs tonight.
Lets get some canadian teams in the real playoffs. Especially even more after seeing the Oilers choke.
Always love when you guys come in peace. Appreciate it.
BUT.. always puzzled by how you can want any success for the Leafs as a Habs fan though lol
I apologize, but I'll never wish well for the Habs or Bruins :mad:

Reactions: Ratboy and Holystik

Theron

#beauty
Jul 19, 2007
Burlington, Ontario
WooOooooOo let's go babyboys... It been a long time since I've kicked it hfboards companions but let's get it on I've missed you ... S hit just looked at my avatar lol it's been a few. Let's go

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Would really like to see how Sandin has progressed in the 4 months the league has been on hold. That's almost like going into his second season if you think about it, even though he's still technically in his rookie year.

Is he any faster? (His biggest weakness imo) is he any stronger? With all the scrimmages playing against the big boys, has his decision making playing against forecheckers gotten better?

I really want to see him play

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
FREEDY!! FREEDY!! FREEDY!!! FREEDY!!! :clap:

Mayne that zerogame sucka hard! Our NUMBER ONE!! RICH like RICHIE!! Mayne he one tough denmarker, get the paper FREEDY FREEDY!!! We gon win again cause tort's can't even get no scoring chances fools

Reactions: Ratboy

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Always love when you guys come in peace. Appreciate it.
BUT.. always puzzled by how you can want any success for the Leafs as a Habs fan though lol
I apologize, but I'll never wish well for the Habs or Bruins :mad:
Reasons:

1- Bring the cup to Canada and proud of my country. Trust me though, during the regular season I love to see you guys lose. ;)

2- Altough I live In Quebec city, I have been commuting to work every other week to Toronto, for the past 18 years. I work for Air Canada and my base is at Pearson airport. So I am somehow connected to your city.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
You don't bring a young D who you believe has high potiential into the lineup without a proper partner to mentor them and a proper role to strive towards. The same goes for Liljegren. This isn't supposed to be some future bottom pairing D. The Leafs' knew as much last summer when Dubas said that Sandin and Liljegren were not going to play and therefore they had acquired: Schmaltz, Gravel, Harpur etc, on top of already having Marincin to fill in for injuries. If you find you need more during the season those type of replacement level Ds are easy to acquire. That was the correct plan.

In Sandin's first 6 game stint he had 5 shots and 11 shot attempts.
In his second stint over the first 11 games he had 13 shots and 28 shot attempts.
In his second stint over the subsequent 11 games he had 4 shots and 9 shot attempts.

By comparison Marincin played fewer minutes this season, and played those minutes in a more defensive role, but had more shots and shot attempts than Sandin. (71 shot attempts vs 48).

And this sticks out like a sore thumb if you go back and watch all the games. Sandin completely loses his confidence to create offensively and stops playing anything that might resemble his game.

When you bring in a young D with a lot of potential you get him a proper partner. Think of Barrie and then look for the exact opposite D in basically every respect. You want him to have the confidence in his partner that he can take chances offensively and see where his limits are. You get him playing in as many situations as possible. You build him up to play against better competition. You get him on the 2nd PP unit even if means playing 2 D.

John Carlson who had near identical AHL production, WJC results, and played about the same amount of games and minutes in the NHL in his first season as Sandin did, at the same age. Was playing 20 minutes a game come the playoffs that year, and was a first pairing D the next season, and played on the Caps 1st PK unit for his first 5 full seasons in the NHL. Rapid development and massive gains in confidence which should be happening with all young D that age. Not the opposite as has been the case with Sandin, or the 3 years of ridiculously sheltered third pairing stagnation with Dermott until they finally gave him a shot at more when they had no other choice.

Look at what the Bruins have done with McAvoy and Carlo, the Avs have done with Girard and Makar, the Canucks have done with Hughes, the Hawks have done with Boqvist, etc.

*I was unaware of Kyle's comment that Sandin and Liljegren were not going to play. I agree that replacement level players can be easily acquired. I mentor is a great thing to have.
*I can't really comment on 'Sandin's game'. My knowledge of him prior to playing with the Leafs is only based on what I read. I don't follow the Marlies from where I live. That said, would I be correct in saying that those you listed, Schmaltz, Gravel, Harpur etc, did not have successful seasons with the Marlies and that given the dogfight the Leafs were in to make the playoffs, Sandin (2nd stint) was the obvious choice to call up? If memory serves, Sandin was used after both Rielly and Muzzin were on the shelf. A high danger move, to be sure, if you are looking to put the kid into a safe position for success.
*While a D partner the opposite of Barrie would be ideal (thinking Van with Hughes and Tanev) we haven't had that type of mentor since Hainsey for Rielly, Mo of course having far more experience than Rasmus. It's the most glaring hole in the Leafs arsenal and neither Lou nor Kyle adequately addressed this need.
*I appreciate the comparisons to Carlson and the others, I'm not sure I have the confidence you do in seeing them as comparable. In Carlo and Carlson you have two D who have much larger frames to help insulate them from the demands of the game as well as being integrated with far more mature D corps. In Hughes and Makar you're asking to compare Sandin with two of the more dynamic young D to enter the game in many a year, a large ask. Boqvist, I've not seen play, but he and Girard might be the closest?
*Like you, I would like to have seen Dermott moved up.

You've put forward a persuasive case. I'd earlier suggested seeing Sandin put in before Marincin. You've changed my mind. I don't wish to see his confidence blown, and that is a worry, as you've outlined. However, I'm hopeful that you're initial comment about 'ruining?' (my memory here may be faulty) his development may be a touch premature. Sandin and Liljegren both deserve stable partners to work with if they are going to join the Leafs next year. How that shakes out, time will tell. Enjoy the game tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad