Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final G5: Caps Win! - Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Once again, if not for the BS no call on the Reaves cross check on Carlson and subsequent goal in game one, Caps would have swept the Knights in 4.

Gallant will win the Adams, but have to question his decision making in putting Reaves out as the 6th man I believe on two separate occasions when they had pulled MAF, and then he scratches him for game 5, so much for valuing Reaves.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
"Fight for ol' DC?"

= a travesty. Caps have not done anything to be associated with the racist GPMarshall / ahole DSnyder franchise.

Hey now, I have the Fight for Old DC shirt and it's amazing. There's even the helmet that Wilson punched off in the picture. I have gotten more comments and compliments about that shirt than any other I own!

Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This has to be the most productive and dangerous any top line has ever been in Caps playoff history. I may sound like a Wilson fanboy when I say this but I credit him for a lot of that.

Chemistry is real.

He is a bigger, stronger, faster version of Knuble. Kuznetsov is a faster, more dynamic Backstrom. Ovechkin now is a slower and more limited but better defensive player than he used to be. Yeah, I'd agree with you. They fit really well together. Kuznetov's speed and vision + the size of Ovechkin and Wilson make them a matchup nightmare.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This has to be the most productive and dangerous any top line has ever been in Caps playoff history. I may sound like a Wilson fanboy when I say this but I credit him for a lot of that.

Chemistry is real.

Not at all.

Wilson, Kuz, and Ovie all have vastly different strengths. Put them together, and they have all the bases covered. Wilson is the best of the three along the boards and on defense. It's a great fit.

I will not be surpeised in the least if Wilson has 45 ES points next season.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Haven't posted in this thread since they won the cup as I wanted a week or so to let the feelings settle in.

Hard to articulate the weight off the shoulders and the scar tissue broken up. From the heart wrenching Habs series to the utter disappointment and sadness of the previous two presidents trophy seasons and even worse the sinking realization that the Capitals might not ever win a cup in your life time and squandered a generational talent.

Really happy for the OG hfboard posters here (you know who you are) and all the newer regulars as well.

Will be curious to see the impact to the Capitals fan base as well as NHL hockey in general in the DC metro area moving forward. Probably need more rinks considering I can't seem to find any friday or saturday night adult pickups these days without driving way out (this might help with two sheets: The List of Everything Planned for NoVa's MASSIVE New Sports Complex Will Blow Your Mind edit: just realized this is like 5 minutes from where I live, hah.)

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
NoVa has Fairfax, the aforementioned St. James (x2), Kettler (x2), Mount Vernon, Ashburn (x2), Reston (x2), Haymarket and Sterling (sorta). Is that it?

DC just Fort Dupont?

No idea about MD.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
NoVa has Fairfax, the aforementioned St. James (x2), Kettler (x2), Mount Vernon, Ashburn (x2), Reston (x2), Haymarket and Sterling (sorta). Is that it?

DC just Fort Dupont?

No idea about MD.

Prince William as well for VA. For MD Cabin John, Wheaton, the one at Calvert, and the one in Laurel. Oh and Frederick where I played in an adult league there for a few years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wow, small world. I came up with the name for that while we were planning it on the old boards (or maybe the bumper boards, can't remember which).
I think it was the old Caps' officials. Yeah, I think you and I talked about it before, that at one point Sparrow had that ICQ or whatever it was. And then Smiley set up the Network45 boards. Can't remember who got me the invite on those. I had a different handle back then tho.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think it was the old Caps' officials. Yeah, I think you and I talked about it before, that at one point Sparrow had that ICQ or whatever it was. And then Smiley set up the Network45 boards. Can't remember who got me the invite on those. I had a different handle back then tho.

We probably did talk. I'm old and forgetting things.

Did I mention I'm old and forgetting things?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Guys, just wanted to mention a few things. Most of you will remember me as my other handle, ForzaItalia. I forgot my password to that account after this site got revamped so I created this account. I've been a Leafs/Caps fan since 1982.

I remember as a kid being at church in 1987 on that Saturday night when Lafontaine broke my heart. I called my friend Danny (God rest his soul) from church and that little prick lied to me.:laugh: He told me that the Caps had lost. He was a Flyers fan. I came home with my family and turned on the TV set to find the Caps playing. At first I thought it was a replay of the game. I stayed up and watched the game and I remember the next morning my dad's friend could see how upset I was. I don't remember what he told me but I know now that he was trying to make me feel better.

There were more heart breaks to come with the Net Defective and Nedved. Then the Habs series and then the Pens losses after that. I always said as a kid:

"As long as I live, I will never see the Caps or Leafs win the Cup."

At least I was half right.

Feels good guys and gals. Congrats to you all!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

DC just Fort Dupont?

No idea about MD.

Tangential to @usiel comments about growing hockey in the area and your comments about rinks, I think it was telling that Baltimore and Richmond had such high ratings during the Cup run. I detest Caps fans screaming “O” during the national anthem but it’s another nod to the regional draw of this team.

I grew up playing travel hockey in this area in what used to be called the Chesapeake Bay Hockey League for a team called the Chesapeake Bay Chiefs. (We wore Chicago Blackhawks uniforms and they were amazing.) We played out of Odenton at Piney when it was the Caps practice rink. In MD, there were rinks all over and we played teams in Bowie, Frederick, Columbia, Ft DuPont, Oxon Hill, Chevy Chase, Annapolis, Baltimore City, Laurel, Hagerstown, Rockville, Wheaton, and a few others I’m sure I’m forgetting. Some of those rinks had multiple teams. In VA we played in Fredericksburg, Reston, Richmond, Mt Vernon, and Arlington, among others.

All that is to say the area has infrastructure and I think this run will help accelerate the growth of the sport in this area. The growth in youth league numbers since Ovechkin entered the league are astounding. And, typing that all out, my parents were nuts to let me play travel hockey my whole life.

Last edited:

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Another thing that this Stanley Cup win has re-sparked a pondering that I have had the last few years is getting a AHL franchise in NOVA with a multi purpose facility. Maybe its the trips up to see the Bears up in Hershey but its hard not to think it would be a success. I'm partial (and probably biased) for Tysons Corner since its right on the silver line.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Richmond had great minor league teams in the ECHL, AHL, and others before city mismanagement (lack of arena maintenance, terrible lease-terms, and other stuff) drove them away.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
you know what?

Its good to see Brooks Orpik finally smile. Now I dont think he totally still hates us and is a secret pens spy.

I completely understood why the Caps signed Orpik four years ago, leadership, winner, etc., but the moment I fell in love in with him was when he said this:

“It’s surreal, especially with the teams we had the last couple years and not getting it done with those groups,” said veteran defenseman Brooks Orpik, who played despite a finger he said was “falling off” after taking a slash early in the Final. “I won it in Pittsburgh nine years ago and it was a great group of guys, but I don’t say this lightly, but this is the best group of guys I’ve played with in my career.”

Last edited:

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Just came back from my holidays in Morocco. 7 days of non stop drinking. There's probably no white wine in Marrakech right now (and beer too, cause I had to drink like 15 per day, it was so weak compared to polish ones). My Caps really won the Stanley Cup, right? Or it was something like alcohol poisoning?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Haven't posted in this thread since they won the cup as I wanted a week or so to let the feelings settle in.

Hard to articulate the weight off the shoulders and the scar tissue broken up. From the heart wrenching Habs series to the utter disappointment and sadness of the previous two presidents trophy seasons and even worse the sinking realization that the Capitals might not ever win a cup in your life time and squandered a generational talent.

Really happy for the OG hfboard posters here (you know who you are) and all the newer regulars as well.

Will be curious to see the impact to the Capitals fan base as well as NHL hockey in general in the DC metro area moving forward. Probably need more rinks considering I can't seem to find any friday or saturday night adult pickups these days without driving way out (this might help with two sheets: The List of Everything Planned for NoVa's MASSIVE New Sports Complex Will Blow Your Mind edit: just realized this is like 5 minutes from where I live, hah.)

This point really can't be emphasized enough. After last season there was that sinking feeling that maybe (probably?) it wasn't going to happen during the Ovechkin era. All we'd have to show for lucking into the best goal scorer of all time would be three President's Trophies and a decade's worth of bitter disappointments. And then after that realization starts to sink in you start to wonder how winning a Cup could possibly ever happen if a team this dominant over the past decade couldn't get it done, combined with the other 40 years of disappointments. I tried my best to suppress those thoughts but I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind. Now? The future looks bright and even if this team falls off a cliff some day we can rest easy knowing we saw Ovechkin and company raise Lord Stanley's Cup and parade it down Constitution Avenue. Feels damn good, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad