Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final G5: Caps Win! - Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Damn, and Backie missed, what, 4 games? Kuzy missed most of 1 game? Wonder how those Pens centers health was, because I promise if the Caps centers played every game this Loffs, they have more than 75 total.

unfortunately simmons isnt even close to being right

Kuz

May 11, 2015
So you’re saying fake news??

I tought it was unlikely myselc considering I knew Malkin had 36 points the same year Crosby had 31 and I knew Jordan Staal was the 3rd center and tought he had to have gotten more than 5 points. Checked it up and he had 9 that totals 76 points by the 3 Penguins centers,

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
It's been a little bit of time now that the Caps have won, but I wanted to stop by again, which I did earlier in the series, and just say that I have been overcome with a bit of emotion a few times watching the behind the series stuff on Caps YT and FB, and of course the night of the win.

I have been a Caps fan for years, my second team- sometimes feeling like my main team. Ovechkin is my favorite player since he came into the league. I have wore my older Ovechkin jersey with the A and not the C for 9 years and have always gotten crap about it. I never for a second thought that Ovechkin didn't have heart. I doubted a few other team members along the way, but never him, nor a few other guys like Backs.

I feel incredible with your win, our win, and I just want to say good job you guys. You stuck with the frustration. As a MN sports fan I know what it's like, but the end justifies the longevity.

I saw how DC came together. I have seen the bender since the Caps won. I love that the guys are having basically a public celly 24/7.

So proud. So happy for Ovechkin. But happy for the whole team.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
So what happens to the Stanley Cup Playoffs page with GDTs and series discussions? Does it just disappear forever or is it archived somewhere?

This is a new, fun problem to explore haha.

And yes, I’m still loving this moment...

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
So what happens to the Stanley Cup Playoffs page with GDTs and series discussions? Does it just disappear forever or is it archived somewhere?

This is a new, fun problem to explore haha.

And yes, I’m still loving this moment...
All the threads are moved to the NHL talk section.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Hockey writers released Conn Smythe voting. Not too surprising, but interesting to see the votes and the voters/their affiliations.

18 voters
Ovie with 13 firsts, 5 seconds
Kuzy with 5 firsts, 13 seconds
Holts with 16 thirds
Flower with 2 thirds

conn-smythe-vote-breakdown.jpg

https://www.tsn.ca/phwa-releases-full-conn-smythe-ballots-1.1110331

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Seems like a fair enough vote-breakdown. Kuzy definitely deserved some first place votes but it's hard to argue with the captain and leading goal-scorer in the playoffs getting the nod. Holtby was good also but aside from The Save he was never relied on to win games single-handedly. Flower getting votes is whatever, he was really good up until the SCF.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Seems like a fair enough vote-breakdown. Kuzy definitely deserved some first place votes but it's hard to argue with the captain and leading goal-scorer in the playoffs getting the nod. Holtby was good also but aside from The Save he was never relied on to win games single-handedly. Flower getting votes is whatever, he was really good up until the SCF.
He still got my personal vote (which obviously counts for jack). It's an eternity ago now, but the Caps started out 0-2 in these playoffs. As soon as Holtby took the net partway through game 2 against Columbus, the tides began to turn. The Capitals rallied around him and his play in net. He was remarkably consistent back there all playoffs long, and stellar when he needed to be. He held Tampa without a goal for 150 minutes. We saw Bobrovsky, Vasilevskiy, and Fleury waiver at points, letting the Capitals get goals and wins they probably didn't "deserve." Holtby was a rock throughout. And of course "the save" was quite possibly the defining moment of the Finals, after which the Capitals never looked back as they ran to four straight wins.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
That quote is amazing.:laugh: Pure innocence and sincerity.

I'm not a Caps fan in the slightest, but well done DC. Class organization and class fans. No rioting, violence, just pure collective joy.
My hats off to you.

I second this. The team has gotten some flak over the last few days for the drunken stuff, not being classy, whatever. There's certainly been a lot of drinking, but that perspective on it is utter nonsense.

If these were selfish, classless guys, they could have boarded a plane to Tahiti days ago and kept their party going non-stop. But all these things we're seeing from them are happening in the streets, in restaurants and clubs, at ballgames, local businesses, splashing outside in fountains... They're taking the celebration directly to the fans and sharing that energy and experience with them.

That's classy. And the fans are eating it up without tearing stuff up, celebrating their asses off without the mayhem that seems to follow championship wins in so many other places. And anyone that thinks that's because it's a second-rate sports town easier to keep in check because the team doesn't have the numbers and support, just look at the sea of humanity that showed up today. Hundreds of thousands, possibly coming close in number to the total population of the city.

Very proud of my team, and never prouder to be a DC native.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He still got my personal vote (which obviously counts for jack). It's an eternity ago now, but the Caps started out 0-2 in these playoffs. As soon as Holtby took the net partway through game 2 against Columbus, the tides began to turn. The Capitals rallied around him and his play in net. He was remarkably consistent back there all playoffs long, and stellar when he needed to be. He held Tampa without a goal for 150 minutes. We saw Bobrovsky, Vasilevskiy, and Fleury waiver at points, letting the Capitals get goals and wins they probably didn't "deserve." Holtby was a rock throughout. And of course "the save" was quite possibly the defining moment of the Finals, after which the Capitals never looked back as they ran to four straight wins.

He was consistent throughout and made timely saves when needed, but what’s plagued the team for years in the postseason has been scoring and that was a non-issue this year mostly due to Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. Also I thought the defense did a great job limiting quality opportunities against, which of course was not was I was expecting at all. The shot totals were sometimes a bit lopsided but aside from a few games I thought the Capitals outchanced their opponents.

Holtby stabilizing the ship and playing well was extremely important and I don’t want to take anything away from him. But IMO the thing that truly transformed this team a from second round flameout to a champion was the ability to score seemingly at will (3.58 goals/game) which is why I’d give the nod to the primary driver and threat of offense in Ovechkin.

Edit: It’s fun arguing which great player was the best en route to winning a Cup!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad