Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final G5: Caps Win! - Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Richmond had great minor league teams in the ECHL, AHL, and others before city mismanagement (lack of arena maintenance, terrible lease-terms, and other stuff) drove them away.

I live in Richmond and have played hockey here for quite a while. There still a pretty good amount of hockey players/interest. But I just don’t see us getting a team back (ECHL or better).

In regards to local hockey we have two rinks and like 40 adult league teams that play on both rinks.

Our south side rink is falling apart. The west end rink is a bit nicer but does not really focus on hockey as much as it should. For example: at neither rink can you show up for a game and expect to get your skates sharpened. They don’t keep people on staff that know how most of the time. Just seems lazy. But I pay to play on two teams and have done so for almost a decade, so I guess I’m a sucker.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan

Feb 18, 2018
Skatenation at short-pump was great when they had two rinks. Too bad they went for lazer tag and other stuff.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This point really can't be emphasized enough. After last season there was that sinking feeling that maybe (probably?) it wasn't going to happen during the Ovechkin era. All we'd have to show for lucking into the best goal scorer of all time would be three President's Trophies and a decade's worth of bitter disappointments. And then after that realization starts to sink in you start to wonder how winning a Cup could possibly ever happen if a team this dominant over the past decade couldn't get it done, combined with the other 40 years of disappointments. I tried my best to suppress those thoughts but I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind. Now? The future looks bright and even if this team falls off a cliff some day we can rest easy knowing we saw Ovechkin and company raise Lord Stanley's Cup and parade it down Constitution Avenue. Feels damn good, man.

Well said and absolutely. Nothing in sports can top this for me, even another SC. It feels good to drive down a Pittsburgh dominated roadway with Caps plates and stickers. My SC sticker arrived for my truck today. In the past I received honks of ridicule, today it is of hatred for being SC champs :).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It took months to get over 2010, after 2016 I was just pissed off. 2016 was the first year I didn't go to Dev Camp or training camp in ten years.

This season, when you just hope and pray they can get by the Pens, just once goddamnit, they go ahead and win the whole damn thing! Sports are funny. Easy to say now but I guess all the previous heartbreak is what's making this so special for all of us.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
It took months to get over 2010, after 2016 I was just pissed off. 2016 was the first year I didn't go to Dev Camp or training camp in ten years.

This season, when you just hope and pray they can get by the Pens, just once goddamnit, they go ahead and win the whole damn thing! Sports are funny. Easy to say now but I guess all the previous heartbreak is what's making this so special for all of us.

I am still not seeing that much being made of the fact that they were 4-0 in series-clinching games this time. A poor record in series-clinching games was probably the most frustrating part of that previous heartbreak.

And 4-0 against four good/great teams on the road. That's what keeps getting to me. It's not just any old redemption story. By going 4-0 in series-clinching games, all under adverse conditions, in my mind, they not only ripped that page out of the history book, but just completely shredded it and then incinerated it.

Considering they were all on the road, and the teams they played, and the key injuries/suspension, I am pretty sure that was one of the clutchiest killer-instinctiest playoff runs in NHL history we just witnessed.

DC is really very excited they finally won one, period, as am I. But how exactly that they did it is breathtaking and utterly awe-inspiring, to me.

I am just like, holy crap, every day now. Holy crap. What the hell just happened?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Also, I found a pretty good use for these Alexa things I have in the house now. A few days ago, I said: "Alexa, remind me every day at 7 pm the Capitals won the Stanley Cup." It always makes me happy to hear Alexa remind me about that. I wonder if I will ever tell her to stop.

Speaking of Alexa, during the long break between the TB series and the SCF, I asked her "Who's going to win the Stanley Cup?" (Apparently 10,000 other people have asked her that same question)

Her response: " “I’m going all-in on the Golden Knights. Call it fate, luck or karma. This team of misfit players has stepped up to become the best inaugural team in sports history. Alex Ovechkin and Braden Holtby will give the Knights “H-E-double hockey sticks. But when it comes to Vegas, you never bet against the house.”

I told her: "You're wrong about the Stanley Cup"

She answered: (paraphrasing) "Maybe, but I think Vegas will win."

At that point I just began cussing at her and she didn't like that one bit.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I am still not seeing that much being made of the fact that they were 4-0 in series-clinching games this time. A poor record in series-clinching games was probably the most frustrating part of that previous heartbreak.

And 4-0 against four good/great teams on the road. That's what keeps getting to me. It's not just any old redemption story. By going 4-0 in series-clinching games, all under adverse conditions, in my mind, they not only ripped that page out of the history book, but just completely shredded it and then incinerated it.

Oh make no mistake I think about this all the time!! This killer instinct was the most amazing thing, I'm glad you posted it though.

I also think about being down a goal and not giving up a lot as well. Game three against the Pens, game five against the Pens (the first times all season the Pens had blown a third period), and finally game five against Vegas.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Speaking of Alexa, during the long break between the TB series and the SCF, I asked her "Who's going to win the Stanley Cup?" (Apparently 10,000 other people have asked her that same question)

Her response: " “I’m going all-in on the Golden Knights. Call it fate, luck or karma. This team of misfit players has stepped up to become the best inaugural team in sports history. Alex Ovechkin and Braden Holtby will give the Knights “H-E-double hockey sticks. But when it comes to Vegas, you never bet against the house.”

I told her: "You're wrong about the Stanley Cup"

She answered: (paraphrasing) "Maybe, but I think Vegas will win."

At that point I just began cussing at her and she didn't like that one bit.

I asked the magic 8ball before the playoffs if the Caps were winning the Cup and it said "It is decidedly so". Suck it Alexa.

p.s. I didn't believe it, but just sayin'. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I know Vegas fans are new to the game but they do know it wasn't a best of one right?

The only hope is it's not permanent but I don't know........

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
Just finished watching chunks of G7 v TBL on NHLN. With a little over 6 min left in the 3rd, Caps up 3-0, Doc observes (my best recollection), "Not since the 1988 Edmonton Oilers has a team won the Stanley Cup by playing 20 games or less. Gerard Gallant's team has played 15 games." Why bring that up before the Finals have even begun? VGK media darlings?

Obviously, he was forshadowing that the Vegas team would play 20 games or less. But without winning the Cup. Sad!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I still think we took our foot off the gas against tampa. Never should have gone 7.

I think TB was the best team they faced and the one that mirrored the Caps in style and tempo. We were all shocked that they were up 2-0, not surprised at all the Bolts came back. But yeah I agree, slayed the game seven as well.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Game 6 vs Pitt was on NHL network several days ago and I randomly caught it so recorded it(because wife was barking at me to do something else). Watched tonight. That first goal by Chiasson was SOFT. No clue how it got past Murray but we needed it. We were playing total defensive game up to that point, and doing a great job, but they were periodically getting good chances and it seemed like a matter of time. After that it was a game. Vrana got a breakaway a few minutes later which he didn't finish but almost did. Both goalies were huge. Rewatching that makes me look forward to Wash vs Pitt next postseason(well not really)

P.S. afterwards I rewatched the end of game 5 vs Vegas. Still a tearjerker!

Reactions: Devil Dancer

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Decided to rewatch the parade I recorded(since I was there), because I have nothing else to do. Within 10 minutes Doug Kammerer says "Tim Wilson..uhh Tom Wilson". Doug...:(

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Am I the only one who feels completely different now. Like as a human...I'm a different person. Was there for game 5 watching on the big screen and celebrated until 6AM until random 24hr pizza place delivered me food. :D Best pizza I've ever eaten in my life at the hotel. I just legit give 0 f's anymore about anything. XD

Yes, I have a feeling that I am a completely different person. That is how I know that I have a mental illness. I am obsessed. The Capitals are part of me.

As long as it doesn't really harm anyone I think it's OK though.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Pretty cool behind the scenes stuff from SN production truck:

p.s. This is my life now, just looking for stuff about the Stanley Cup playoffs, history of the Cup, players days with the Cup, what other teams Cup rings look like, and on and on. Stuff I could and would never look at before. This summer is gonna be so much fun!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->