Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Unfortunately, I found not a single chuckle here.

I agree. Except I'd say mediocre is too generous for Joe Rogan. He has the mechanics down for how to structure and tell a joke, his material is just garbage.

But I also feel it is more about the cult of personality and the cross promotion of those in his circle that give them all their careers.

Hats off to them for monetizing this, it's just a shame they are generally awful.
I didn't find it that funny either but just thought it was a good story on humility.

As for Rogan and crew I agree they are not very funny.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Daaaam this Seinfeld special is really good if you're above 50 and haven't watched any standup in the past decade.

Also I watched this, had James Acaster in it

Then ended up watching a bit of the girl's standup

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Seinfeld special was good in a "My parents would like this" sort of way. Nonetheless it was cool to see Jerry up there doing standup.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I watched half of it. I don't think it was awful, but just a lot of jokes he's used before if you've seen his act.
It was the same with Dave Chappelle a few years ago. I went to see him at just for laughs in Montreal around 5 years ago, then a year or so later he released his 2 Netflix specials and they were both mainly comprised of his material from Montreal. Some of his references were pretty outdated too. His 3rd special was totally new stuff though. He even said in an interview that the bits he used were old for his first 2 netflix specials.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
I sat thru that Bryan Callen post and I want my 9 minutes back. Did he go to the Dane Cook school of comedy?
He is the John Stockton of comedy. His podcast 10 Minute Podcast with Will Sasso and Chris Delia was comedic gold due to him setting up bits of adding to a bit to keep it going. Also, the hate for Dane Cook is based on nothing but hate. If he had the respect of Patrice O'Neal, that is more than enough for me.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Sorry if these have been posted, but three of my favourite comedians have released their specials to YouTube within the last year.

Mark Normand, one of Seinfeld's favourite comedians:

Andrew Schulz:

Sam Morril:

Reactions: Roman Fell

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Watched Tom Segura and Bert Krischer's Netflix specials yesterday. They were not that great. Tom's punchlines had more to do with saying shocking things for laughs which were not very funny. Bert on the other hands opening joke was pretty funny about Starbucks but his punchline at the end fell flat. The the rest of routine was largely about his family and made his daughters out to be dumb. It was pretty cringe worthy the way he joked about them. The fact that they are young teenagers seemed more mean than funny. Bert learned from Rogan the louder you are makes up for the lack of crowd response.

I think Netflix is doing a disservice to comedy giving out so many specials for purposes of having content over the quality.

A network deal is no longer the beacon of success for comedians; Netflix is now that mountain comedians feel they need before they can think of themselves as successful; however, Netflix has completely oversaturated the market.

Comedians are now catching on the route to a successful career might be from hosting podcasts.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've stepped away from listening to much stand-up comedy recently, but I really like Chad Daniels a lot. Seems like he doesn't get the credit he really deserves for his delivery and content. Doesn't seem that many people are aware of him.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's because I was introduced to him mainly through Pandora and Spotify, but I feel like his voice doesn't really match his body.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
It was the same with Dave Chappelle a few years ago. I went to see him at just for laughs in Montreal around 5 years ago, then a year or so later he released his 2 Netflix specials and they were both mainly comprised of his material from Montreal. Some of his references were pretty outdated too. His 3rd special was totally new stuff though. He even said in an interview that the bits he used were old for his first 2 netflix specials.

That's generally the way stand-up works. A comedian will write material, work on it while touring, then record a special. Once they record it for mass consumption, they can't perform that material live anymore since everyone's heard it and they have to come up with new stuff. I've heard some comedians are leery of recording specials because it means they have to stop using good jokes on the road.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Actually comedians work on their material in the comedy clubs. When they figured it out then they go on tour. No one goes to Just For Laughs to work on material. No one pays 60$ to sit in an arena and watch a comedian work on his jokes. Specials are always filmed at the end of their tours.

Chappelle's Netflix specials came out long after he did that tour, like 3-4 years. It was labelled his come back tour at the time.

It's every comics dream to get a special so I doubt any of them are leery about using jokes. Specials are what your are remembered for. used to be comedy albums.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Anybody remember they tried to bring Chappelle down after his last Netflix special that joked about transgender people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad