Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Good thing we have the criticism police to decide what is valid criticism and not valid criticism. Purely coincidentally, the criticism police's stance on what is valid criticism lines up with their politics, but that's purely coincidental and you should ignore that hypocracy because LOOK AT THOSE CELEBRITIES FLYING THEIR PRIVATE JETS AROUND (probably maybe).
I'm just saying he's a liberal, and criticizing the substance of what he did is always better than criticizing the motivation. I don't care what their politics are.

People leave out how he included pedo jokes on the Catholic Church, which I don't think any of us would say is a liberal institution.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I'm just saying he's a liberal, and criticizing the substance of what he did is always better than criticizing the motivation. I don't care what their politics are.

People leave out how he included pedo jokes on the Catholic Church, which I don't think any of us would say is a liberal institution.
Stale material is stale material. Did he do a bit about airline food after that?

Award show host/comedy sets are universally panned, yet one side of the political spectrum keeps telling me that this one is hilarious and makes good points. To that, I absolutely call BS.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Roman Fell said:
Comic ari shaffir is receiving harsh blowback following negative comments about Kobe

Tweeting it was a "great day" when Kobe died was probably not a wise decision, even if it is part of a bit he does on celebrity deaths.

It's hack comedy.

Ari Shaffir said:
“I’ve been doing it for years now. I like destroying gods. And right when a famous person dies they’re at their most worshipped. So as a response to all the outpouring of sympathy on social media, I post something vile. it’s just a joke. I don’t really hate any of the people,” he added.

It's a good way to try and generate attention for yourself on the backs of someone else's accomplishments at the most opportunistic time.

It's not about quality or creativity, but just about shock value and bad timing. Lame.

You can joke about anything but only if you do it well. This falls pretty damned short.

The "joke":

"Kobe Bryant died 23 years too late today. He got away with rape because all the Hollywood liberals who attack comedy enjoy rooting for the Lakers more than they dislike rape. Big ups to the hero who forgot to gas up his chopper. I hate the Lakers. What a great day."

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I just don't see the comedic point to what he was doing. I guess it's a bash Hollywood liberal joke, but there are plenty of ways to bash them and not having to be an a-hole. Maybe we worship celebrities too much when they pass, but that doesn't mean other people should go to the other end of the spectrum and be an ass to people that are mourning.

Ari is also a pretty sketchy dude. He spiked Bert Kreischer's drink with Molly, at Bert's house. Bert's family was home at the time. If anyone did that to me, I'd be completely done with that person. And he didn't regret doing it. **** that guy.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Anthony jeselnik is usually pretty edgy too and he didn't go that far. He just said it was a bad week and referenced comedy central airing more episodes of James cordens show

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anthony jeselnik is usually pretty edgy too and he didn't go that far. He just said it was a bad week and referenced comedy central airing more episodes of James cordens show

The difference is that Jeselnik is a joke crafter.

His jokes are carefully and deliberately engineered to generate a response. You can hear it in the delivery, in the timing, and in how they are phrased.

He inserts comments about how great he is, or how funny his jokes are, and how bad the audience is, in between his jokes, both as pauses, but also to remind everyone that it's part of a show.

His subject matter is difficult, and therein lies his skill as a comedian.

Nothing about what Ari did seems remotely intelligent, challenging or difficult. Just an unhinged guy spouting off on Twitter.

I think Jeselnik could probably make a joke about Kobe that would actually work. But if it doesn't, he's not going to do it just for attention.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Going off on a bit of a tangent, but on that Gillis/Yang note a while back, holy crap has Andrew Yang been pulling in some really cool endorsements from all the right comedic voices.

Norm MacDonald, Dave Chappelle, Doug Stanhope, Donald Glover. A lot of guys who normally would never be caught dead endorsing anybody.

I'm not American or even all that politically interested (other than maybe the social side of it), but his campaign's been pretty fascinating to follow.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Going off on a bit of a tangent, but on that Gillis/Yang note a while back, holy crap has Andrew Yang been pulling in some really cool endorsements from all the right comedic voices.

Norm MacDonald, Dave Chappelle, Doug Stanhope, Donald Glover. A lot of guys who normally would never be caught dead endorsing anybody.

I'm not American or even all that politically interested (other than maybe the social side of it), but his campaign's been pretty fascinating to follow.
Yeah, not to get too political on it, I'll just say it's been fascinating to see him in the process and the people that have backed him. Whether you agree with him or not, I think it's good that the establishment gets shaken up a bit.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, not to get too political on it, I'll just say it's been fascinating to see him in the process and the people that have backed him. Whether you agree with him or not, I think it's good that the establishment gets shaken up a bit.
I just find the cleverness/ingenuity/big-picture pragmatism of his approach to be pretty admirable and impressive, regardless of my own personal political leanings. It's almost like he figured out how to make the massive divide between the left and the right somehow compatible with each other without necessarily compromising the primary concerns/sensitivities of either side the way a centrist typically would. Didn't think that was possible, really.

Reactions: bleedblue1223
Sep 19, 2008
He was right about Gillis and he's right about most things. Yang is pretty clever and funny too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I disagree that he was right about the specific Gillis thing (although I think that general attitude is right, is worth getting behind, and is a smart on-brand political move for "most" cases where comedians offend people-- I think Gillis' case just happened to charitably get lumped in with them even though it didn't really deserve to be), but agree that he's pretty sensible, spot-on, and humorous on most topics.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's hack comedy.

It's a good way to try and generate attention for yourself on the backs of someone else's accomplishments at the most opportunistic time.

It's not about quality or creativity, but just about shock value and bad timing. Lame.

You can joke about anything but only if you do it well. This falls pretty damned short.

The "joke":
Wow...what a prick. I wonder how the families of the other people who lost their lives feel about that tweet. Hopefully they never read it. He must be a miserable PoS.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Tweeting it was a "great day" when Kobe died was probably not a wise decision, even if it is part of a bit he does on celebrity deaths.

I thought he was serious when I saw the video, but if it's a bit he's been doing for a while, then it's pretty clear he's joking, so I don't have a problem with it

member 51464

I thought he was serious when I saw the video, but if it's a bit he's been doing for a while, then it's pretty clear he's joking, so I don't have a problem with it
Except he claimed his account was hacked after he got blowback this time. So really he's just a coward who doesn't have the conviction to stand behind his "edgy" "comedy"

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It's just terrible comedy and unfunny.

I can't think of a worse insult to hurl at a comedian.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I find YMH hit or miss. Too much dirty sex references that makes it not so funny.
True but I enjoy their clip reactions and interviews generally. Christina can be a bit annoying when she over gushes about a guest. I guess the hook for me is how much I enjoy listening to Segura in any medium even if some of the jokes are juvenile.

Reactions: Stylizer1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad