Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Did you watch Dave Chappelle's stand up or are you referring to his show? Killin Them Softly might be my favorite stand up special by any comedian.

Richard Pryor was also very funny.

Also let me add that you really need to watch stand up by some female Jewish comedians. I don't know why, but they are all ridiculously funnier. Much funnier than the average comedian who has a special on Comedy Central. Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman, Rachel Feinstein, and even Joan Rivers' specials should be watched.

I'd also recommend Neal Brennan's most recent special and also John Mulaney. Also watch all of Greg Giraldo's specials and every roast he's been a part of. He was the best part of all the roasts on Comedy Central.

Anthony Jeselnik is ****ing amazing. So far he's the only famous comedian I've seen live. Everything he has done is funny.

I've seen a bunch of Chappelle's stand up, and I've seen Killing Them Softly. First time I watched that special, I had it to pause it because I thought I was going to suffocate from laughing so hard.

ragman

Jun 8, 2015
I've always liked Cosby. For obvious reasons, not so much anymore.

Didn't see the name of Gilbert Iglesias mentioned. Like him.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Big fan of stand up, like a lot of different styles. With only the "angry man" style not really working for me. A guy like Dennis Leary just doesn't work for me but I respect him.

There is a radio station Funny 820 AM that plays short bits on stand up that Is great for rush hour drives.

Add a few names I didn't see yet.

Jimmy Carr
Danny Boy
Ellen is probably the best female imho.
Brian Regan

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I've seen a bunch of Chappelle's stand up, and I've seen Killing Them Softly. First time I watched that special, I had it to pause it because I thought I was going to suffocate from laughing so hard.

Definitely watch Neal Brennan's special. They are both very similar. Brennan was one of the co-creators of his show and a writer.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
All time Favorites:
-Rodney Dangerfield is far and away my favorite all time comedian, no one is even close to him as far as my all time favorites go.
-Sam Kineson is my second favorite
-Richard Pryor
-George Carlin. Carlin was so far ahead if his time, didn't like the older George Carlin who just came off as a bitter old man
-Redd Fox was also hysterical.

Among the current batch of comedians I like:
-Chris Rock - he is a throwback to the old days, has a great and unique delivery which seems to be missing among current day comedians
-Brian Posehn - love his metal jokes and song parodies
-Jim Jefferies - His egg routine is one of the funniest stories Ive ever heard
-Patton Oswalt - love the Mad Max/Sad Boy routine
-Artie Lange - Guy is out of control but is funny as hell
-Norm McDonald - when he is on, may be the current funniest guy in the biz

Female comedians:
-Phyllis Diller - All time greatest female comedian
-Ellen DeGeneres- not a big fan of but she is pretty witty and may be 2nd to Phyliss (I am not a fan of Joan Rivers)
-Natasha Leggero - favorite of current crop but neeed to see more of her to fully make up mind on

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Its funny a couple of guys who I have seen their stand up acts on tv and they could not be any less funny are Colin Quinn and Bob Saget. But both of these guys when you see them interviewed and interact with other people they are funny and witty as can be. Its odd how it does not translate to their stand up. Saget's standup is flat out unwatchable but hearing him interviewed by Norm McDonald or Howard Stern and believe it or not, the guy is a riot and pretty likeable which I found surprising.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Dave Chappelle's For What It's Worth and Killin Them Softly are two of the best of all time. Carlin's Jammin in New York is another one of favorites.

Definitely like Stanhope as well. His joke about his mother dying and the statute of limitations is pretty epic.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Its funny a couple of guys who I have seen their stand up acts on tv and they could not be any less funny are Colin Quinn and Bob Saget. But both of these guys when you see them interviewed and interact with other people they are funny and witty as can be. Its odd how it does not translate to their stand up. Saget's standup is flat out unwatchable but hearing him interviewed by Norm McDonald or Howard Stern and believe it or not, the guy is a riot and pretty likeable which I found surprising.

Very true. One of the few shows I just couldn't watch anymore.

I like Mitch Hedberg, Bill Burr, Jim Gaffigan, Louis CK, George Carlin, Ricky Gervais, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Demitri Martin, and probably a bunch of others that I'm not thinking of.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I'm really really surprised no one mentioned Billy Connolly. :huh:

He's one of my all time absolute favourites.

If you haven't seen his work, do your life a solid, and watch his full show 'Was It Something I Said'. You'll have to stream it online, but it's worth the effort I promise you. He's had me in stitches for years.

Warning: saucy language contained therein.

A couple clips from it below:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a7_1279044523

Other routines:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad