Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Pryor was the greatest all time, in my opinion. These days guys like Louis CK, Bill Burr, Bob Kelly, Colin Quinn and Jim Norton are the funniest guys around.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Can't believe I had to go to the third page to see Jimmy Carr's name mentioned. Definitely in my top four.

Louis CK, George Carlin, Demetri Martin and Jimmy Carr are, IMO, a cut above the others I've seen.

That said, some of my other favourite specials have been from Donald Glover, Bo Burnham, Jeremy Hotz (he could narrate March of the Penguins and he'd sound funny doing it) and Daniel Tosh

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I think in 10-20 years Louis CK will be considered the best stand up comic of all time. I think he already is but longevity seems to elevate celebrities.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think in 10-20 years Louis CK will be considered the best stand up comic of all time. I think he already is but longevity seems to elevate celebrities.

It's subjective of course, but I don't even think Louis is top 3 of his generation

I have Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle and Norm Macdonald ahead of him as comics

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I saw this for the first time last week, then proceeded to watch it each of the next 3 days

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Norm is the funniest person of all time, but I wouldn't consider him the best stand-up (although he's still excellent). It's best just watching him in any conversation with someone (doesn't matter who; it can be with the most entertaining person in the world or the least entertaining person in the world) where he plays off of people. He still dominates the conversation anyways so he may as well be doing stand-up at times, but it's just a different dynamic.

Louis CK is easily the best stand-up I've ever seen. He's just consistently hilarious. Must be a generational thing but I've never been a fan of Carlin, Pryor, etc.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Norm is the funniest person of all time, but I wouldn't consider him the best stand-up (although he's still excellent). It's best just watching him in any conversation with someone (doesn't matter who; it can be with the most entertaining person in the world or the least entertaining person in the world) where he plays off of people. He still dominates the conversation anyways so he may as well be doing stand-up at times, but it's just a different dynamic.

Louis CK is easily the best stand-up I've ever seen. He's just consistently hilarious. Must be a generational thing but I've never been a fan of Carlin, Pryor, etc.

Carlin is probably generational. The young George Carlin was really cutting edge for his time. I think Richard Pryor's material holds up a lot more nowadays than George's material does. While Rodney Dangerfield is my all time favorite I would probably rank Pryor & Carlin as the two all time greatest. ITs a toss-up between the two.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Favorite comedian alive

Greatest comedian of all time, this should pass over many heads:

...and boy was he right, with the last 9 years after he died as proof.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I love Carlin, old and young. When a man is that on point, both in content and performance/delivery, you let him be as bitter and ranty as he god-damn pleases.

As much as I love Louis CK in general for everything including his show-running, writing, and public persona, and as much as he's still one of the better and more consistent comedians currently, he's still nowhere remotely close to the timeless greats as far as pure standup comedy goes, IMO. Not as much of a natural/pure comedic genius as Norm MacDonald is, either.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I didn't care for older Carlin. I found him to be more bitter than funny, was just a ranting old man to me.

In calling him "just a ranting old man", given what he was actually ranting about, you just showed why he had great reason to come off as bitter.

I love Carlin, old and young. When a man is that on point, both in content and performance/delivery, you let him be as bitter and ranty as he god-damn pleases

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I've been watching stand ups almost daily for a really long time, I had to buy/rent them before Youtube :laugh:

What an amazing way to watch them now, old and new. Also can't believe how long it took to see Jimmy Carr and Billy Connolly's names. In no order:

The Classics
George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Robin Williams (No mention?)
Andy Kauffman
Billy Connolly
Eddie Murphy

The One Liners
Steven Wright
Milton Jones
Stewart Francis
Mitch Hedberg

The Funniest Men On Earth
John Cleese
Norm MacDonald

The Hard Hitters
Jimmy Carr (huge fan!)
Frankie Boyle (the most offensive I've heard, love him in small doses)
David Cross
Dice Clay
Anthony Jeselnik

The Other Ones I Love
Lewis Black (Can't believe I'm the first to name him, one of my all time favorite)
Jim Jefferies (been a fan for years)
Bill Burr
David Mitchell
Jon Dore
Dave Attell
Tommy Tiernan (love the marathon bit)

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I've been watching stand ups almost daily for a really long time, I had to buy/rent them before Youtube :laugh:

What an amazing way to watch them now, old and new. Also can't believe how long it took to see Jimmy Carr and Billy Connolly's names. In no order:

The Classics
George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Robin Williams (No mention?)
Andy Kauffman
Billy Connolly
Eddie Murphy

The One Liners
Steven Wright
Milton Jones
Stewart Francis
Mitch Hedberg

The Funniest Men On Earth
John Cleese
Norm MacDonald

The Hard Hitters
Jimmy Carr (huge fan!)
Frankie Boyle (the most offensive I've heard, love him in small doses)
David Cross
Dice Clay
Anthony Jeselnik

The Other Ones I Love
Lewis Black (Can't believe I'm the first to name him, one of my all time favorite)
Jim Jefferies (been a fan for years)
Bill Burr
David Mitchell
Jon Dore
Dave Attell
Tommy Tiernan (love the marathon bit)

Solid post, yeah Robbin Williams was funny , forgot about him.

As someone that views stand up alot from what you say.What are your thoughts on Gilbert Gottfried? Idk why but he just makes me laugh.

I also like Louie CK

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Solid post, yeah Robbin Williams was funny , forgot about him.

As someone that views stand up alot from what you say.What are your thoughts on Gilbert Gottfried? Idk why but he just makes me laugh.

I also like Louie CK

Can't believe I forgot Gilbert... Yeah it's hard to know why. Funny because delivery, obviously after writing, is everything in stand up and his is so weird and abrasive, but that's his thing and it's funny because of it (I think). The voice and the genius also help :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
Robin Williams wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I didn't like his speedy delivery, you could barely understand what he was saying. It was like a mishmash of unintelligible words. To me, a bunch of nonsense that "sounds" funny isn't really worthy of putting him up there in the all time comics list. To me, if you're up on that list, you have to have actual content or "Hot takes" so to speak. Everyone knows Carlin because he was unafraid to speak his mind (7 dirty words bit). Williams, people just know him because he spoke really fast.

Patrice was so funny because he was so off the cuff (see Tough Crowd) and he always called you out if you were a hack. There are just so many stories of him and how honest he was. I remember on Robert Kelly's podcast they had this story of he just called out this club owner "Those your real teeth man?" and the club owner got all pissed off and banned him from the club. Patrice was never scared to make his opinion known, that's why he was one of the best.

I saw Louis CK live in person too. His delivery was kind of drab but I still was entertained. Right now I'd say the best is Bill Burr. Go see him live in person. He's way too funny and he also has that Patrice "I'm going to say whatever I want and I don't care about the criticism".

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Robin Williams wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I didn't like his speedy delivery, you could barely understand what he was saying. It was like a mishmash of unintelligible words. To me, a bunch of nonsense that "sounds" funny isn't really worthy of putting him up there in the all time comics list. To me, if you're up on that list, you have to have actual content or "Hot takes" so to speak. Everyone knows Carlin because he was unafraid to speak his mind (7 dirty words bit). Williams, people just know him because he spoke really fast.

Patrice was so funny because he was so off the cuff (see Tough Crowd) and he always called you out if you were a hack. There are just so many stories of him and how honest he was. I remember on Robert Kelly's podcast they had this story of he just called out this club owner "Those your real teeth man?" and the club owner got all pissed off and banned him from the club. Patrice was never scared to make his opinion known, that's why he was one of the best.

I saw Louis CK live in person too. His delivery was kind of drab but I still was entertained. Right now I'd say the best is Bill Burr. Go see him live in person. He's way too funny and he also has that Patrice "I'm going to say whatever I want and I don't care about the criticism".

I agree with you on both Robin Williams and Bill Burr (although Burr's last special was awful)

Robin is performing to the audience, Burr's stand up feels more like a conversation with the audience

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad