Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Solid post, yeah Robbin Williams was funny , forgot about him.

As someone that views stand up alot from what you say.What are your thoughts on Gilbert Gottfried? Idk why but he just makes me laugh.

I also like Louie CK

Not sure I've ever watched any Gilbert stand up outside of roasts. But he's hysterical on podcasts. Him and artie lang together in particular are really entertaining just sitting there talking ****.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I agree with you on both Robin Williams and Bill Burr (although Burr's last special was awful)

Robin is performing to the audience, Burr's stand up feels more like a conversation with the audience

It was weird how disappointing Burr's last special was. I saw him live on the tour where he was working on that material...maybe 6-9 months before it was taped/released, and it was ****ing hilarious. But then the special comes out...bits I found extremely funny were dropped out, others that weren't so funny were extended longer (that stupid gorilla story), and it just fell flat.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
It was weird how disappointing Burr's last special was. I saw him live on the tour where he was working on that material...maybe 6-9 months before it was taped/released, and it was ****ing hilarious. But then the special comes out...bits I found extremely funny were dropped out, others that weren't so funny were extended longer (that stupid gorilla story), and it just fell flat.

I thought the special was mostly great until the gorilla story. Not terrible by any means, but it's Bill Burr so the bar's set high.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Anyone listen to the Bonfire here? Jay Oakerson and Dan Soder? Sometimes leaves me crying on my drive home. One thing that listening to comedians on radio does. When you see them in person or in video you can't help but take time to adjust. Other than those mentioned I like Jesse Popp, Greg Giraldo, Matt Braunger off the top of my head. I've seen Dave Atell, Michael Ian Black, Dave Chappelle and a few "ensemble" whatever shows with sketch grops like Kids in the Hall.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Anyone listen to the Bonfire here? Jay Oakerson and Dan Soder? Sometimes leaves me crying on my drive home. One thing that listening to comedians on radio does. When you see them in person or in video you can't help but take time to adjust. Other than those mentioned I like Jesse Popp, Greg Giraldo, Matt Braunger off the top of my head. I've seen Dave Atell, Michael Ian Black, Dave Chappelle and a few "ensemble" whatever shows with sketch grops like Kids in the Hall.

I'm not subscribed to Sirius but am generally aware of The Bonfire and Big Jay in general. Dan Soder is pretty funny too. It used to be weekly but they put it out more often now.

Lot of good guys on the NYC Scene now (Dave Smith, Joe List, Robert Kelly, Ari Shaffir, Norton, Normand, etc)

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Besides Louis CK, some hilarious guys are

John Pinnette
Kevin Hart - he keeps getting better and better every time hear I see his material.
Katt Williams (before he went crazy)
Tom Segura
Bill Burr- I like him in small doses. He is too angry and loud to listen for more than 30 minutes.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Katt Williams was great before completely - I don't think he ever fully had it - losing the plot. I didn't agree a with a lot of what he said but he had a manic energy and physical charisma and delivery that was off the charts. He was a blast.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

John Pinnette
Kevin Hart - he keeps getting better and better every time hear I see his material.
Tom Segura
Bill Burr- I like him in small doses. He is too angry and loud to listen for more than 30 minutes.

Agreed when it comes to his podcast

I don't really find his stand up to be "angry" though

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Agreed when it comes to podcast

I don't really find his stand up to be "angry" though

He's kind of been stuck on the same note for a bit. I thought his last two specials were well below his previously ones standards. It's not that its too angry, it's that it's too much of the same sort of take from him, IMO.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
yea, i listen to the bonfire, it is on 4 days a week now.

at least now they often have guests in to serve as sounding boards or break up the Big Jay show.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

John Pinnette
Tom Segura

I might be one the few people who don't find Kevin Hart funny at all be it stand up or in movies.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I think in 10-20 years Louis CK will be considered the best stand up comic of all time. I think he already is but longevity seems to elevate celebrities.

Pryor, Carlin, and Williams are the best to me and Louis CK has awhile until he reaches their level.

As far as comedians I enjoy listening to:

-Bill Burr
-Joey Diaz (possibly the funniest dude no one listens to right now)
-Joe Rogan
-Bill Hicks
-Dave Chapelle
-Lewis Black (his skit on water is one the best bits I've ever heard)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like me some Doug Stanhope.

Rogan is an awful comedian but good Podcast host, IMO. He's a smart guy, but it's almost like his IQ plummets when he gets in front of a crowd (maybe to reach a wider audience? Dunno)

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Mulaney is funny in a wholesome, church-esque sort of way. Impressive how funny he comes off despite having mostly clean and proper material.

He's not...that clean. He swears a fair amount, has talked about drinking heavily, there was the story of the girl who told him "eat ***, suck a ****, and sell drugs"

He just manages to come off clean like you said but he's gotten into plenty of inappropriate topics. His delivery is just pretty innocent sounding.

But I'm a fan of his. He's in the Bill Burr tier of I can just put it on in the background and listen to him whenever.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pryor, Carlin, and Williams are the best to me and Louis CK has awhile until he reaches their level.

As far as comedians I enjoy listening to:

-Bill Burr
-Joey Diaz (possibly the funniest dude no one listens to right now)
-Joe Rogan
-Bill Hicks
-Dave Chapelle
-Lewis Black (his skit on water is one the best bits I've ever heard)

I been lovin Madflavor since the Rogan podcast on the couch. I think the prison story he told Eddie Bravo is one of the funniest things.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Rogan is an awful comedian but good Podcast host, IMO. He's a smart guy, but it's almost like his IQ plummets when he gets in front of a crowd (maybe to reach a wider audience? Dunno)

Joe seems like the kinda guy who had to "work" on being funny instead of being naturally funny. His stand up comes across that way to me. Hes got the fundamentals down but something about his stand up just doesn't feel natural. Guys like Chappelle, Rock, Carlin, etc. seem to have this been funny from birth vibe if that makes sense.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Joe seems like the kinda guy who had to "work" on being funny instead of being naturally funny. His stand up comes across that way to me. Hes got the fundamentals down but something about his stand up just doesn't feel natural. Guys like Chappelle, Rock, Carlin, etc. seem to have this been funny from birth vibe if that makes sense.

Rogan is an actor with a sense of humour

His stand up comes across as a performance, whereas the greats make it seem like a conversation

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I know he's interested in some heavy topics, but I'm not sure Rogan is all that bright

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My go-to's tend to be

Bill Burr (his first three Netflix specials are guaranteed easy listens for me)

Eddie Murphy (Raw and Delirious)

Dave Chappelle

John Caparulo (he sounds dumb but his delivery is just fun to listen to)

Tom Segura (Mostly Stories only, the other Netflix special isn't bad. I just never feel like listening to it)

John Mulaney

Dana Carvey (if only for his impressions, his standup is fun to listen to)

I've enjoyed but don't often go back to

Anthony Jeselnik

Tom Papa

Ari Schaffer

Russell Peters (it's pretty simple comedy overall...kinda like dad or uncle humor. but his racial impressions are amusing)

Patton Oswalt

Louis CK (the show is better but even that, I'm not too keen on rewatching. I thought his most recent special sucked)

Jim Gaffigan

Jimmy Carr (his netflix special was amusing the first time with the crowd work but it's too one linery to go back to)

Ron White (the only actually funny one of the "Blue Collar Comedy" guys. I actually think he's quite funny but his droning voice is too much to be commonly rewatchable for me)

George Carlin (obviously he was a very smart and funny comedian but I can't handle that much cynicism on repeated viewings)

Bo Burnham (he does come off as pretentious at times and though he pokes fun at himself for it, it can be kind of grating)

Stand up comedians who I either don't understand why they're popular or I don't find them particularly funny when others do

Kevin Hart (one of his specials was mildly amusing but he's mostly just an energetic story teller. It's not good stand up)

Jim Jeffries (I know he's quite popular but I could never get into him. He just says dirty things loudly for the most part. I never found him particularly witty)

Hannibal Burress (he was amusing in Spiderman Homecoming but outside of that I really can't understand why he's so popular)

Amy Schumer (this one really should be obvious)

I don't know. Rogan's recent standup special WAS quite dumb but it was entertaining to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad