Speculation: Stammergeddon: Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Kucherov's getting closer to 7 than 6. Possibly over 7. As good as Barkov looks, he's still more potential than actual results. Kucherov is results city. His playoff goal-per-game ratio ranks right there with there with the best in the NHL. I'm not even sure how you can seriously compare him to Barkov.

Everyone on this board (I think) recognizes Kucherov as not only our best foward, but one of the best forwards in the league. And yet a lot of us, somehow, feel like we're going to wiggle our way out of paying for him for that. This guy's getting PAID. And he deserves it.

You can't - drastically different players. Ones a shooting winger, one is a defensive minded center with offensive talent. Barkov does help drive down the cost a little, but not much.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
The Lightning have draft picks. Some teams have cap space. Why not use those to get rid of Carle & Callahan. You might not even have to pay much to get rid of Cally. He's only 1 year removed from a 54 point season. Just do what you gotta do. Dead weight should move first, if it can.

-From a Sens Fan

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The Lightning have draft picks. Some teams have cap space. Why not use those to get rid of Carle & Callahan. You might not even have to pay much to get rid of Cally. He's only 1 year removed from a 54 point season. Just do what you gotta do. Dead weight should move first, if it can.

-From a Sens Fan

Callahan has a NMC that changes to limited NTC in 2018-19 and 2019-20. So we'd have to hope he waives it to go somewhere. Buffalo maybe?

Carle we should just buy out if no one will take him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan has a NMC that changes to limited NTC in 2018-19 and 2019-20. So we'd have to hope he waives it to go somewhere. Buffalo maybe?

Carle we should just buy out if no one will take him.

He worked hard to get that NMC doubt he waives. To buy out Callahan before his NMC expires would give a cap hit of around 2 million till 2024 and it would be around 3 million for the last 2 years of his contract. So doubt Yzerman is going to do that to save 2 or so million in cap while also having to replace a roster spot.

Just have to hope he bounces back next season since he is not going anywhere till at least 2018. Hopefully by then he bounces back and no one will give a **** about his cap hit.

*disclaimer*

Not defending Callahan here. Another bad season I will drive him to the airport myself.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He worked hard to get that NMC doubt he waives. To buy out Callahan before his NMC expires would give a cap hit of around 2 million till 2024 and it would be around 3 million for the last 2 years of his contract. So doubt Yzerman is going to do that to save 2 or so million in cap while also having to replace a roster spot.

Just have to hope he bounces back next season since he is not going anywhere till at least 2018. Hopefully by then he bounces back and no one will give a **** about his cap hit.

*disclaimer*

Not defending Callahan here. Another bad season I will drive him to the airport myself.

;)

Callahan's safe for a while yet, I think. If he gets overtaken by younger guys to the point that his playing time drastically decreases, then I think a move will be more feasible to both sides. For right now though, he still has a role, even if it's not one you normally spend close to 6m on.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I would use Saad, Barkov, and Tarasenko as comparables which would put his cap hit in the $6.5million range. Give or take(most likely give) a few hundred K

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would use Saad, Barkov, and Tarasenko as comparables which would put his cap hit in the $6.5million range. Give or take(most likely give) a few hundred K

I think he's closer to Tarasenko than either of those two though. I do think those three players provide a sort of bracket that allows us to place him though. I'm still thinking roughly 7, which slips him in just under Tarasenko.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I think he's closer to Tarasenko than either of those two though. I do think those three players provide a sort of bracket that allows us to place him though. I'm still thinking roughly 7, which slips him in just under Tarasenko.

I think he's closer as well but this is a business and Saad and Barkov have lower contracts so they're there as "Young players who have proven they belong" when bringing up contract numbers.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he's closer as well but this is a business and Saad and Barkov have lower contracts so they're there as "Young players who have proven they belong" when bringing up contract numbers.

Yeah, but neither of them have the kind of numbers Kucherov has. And, the bigger you weigh the playoffs, the further Kucherov distances himself from those two, and the closer he gets to Tarasenko territory.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Kucherov is getting Tarasenko money, but he's not going to be in an entirely different ballpark either. Tarasenko's getting 7.5, so I would put Kucherov closer to that than Barkov's 6.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, but neither of them have the kind of numbers Kucherov has. And, the bigger you weigh the playoffs, the further Kucherov distances himself from those two, and the closer he gets to Tarasenko territory.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Kucherov is getting Tarasenko money, but he's not going to be in an entirely different ballpark either. Tarasenko's getting 7.5, so I would put Kucherov closer to that than Barkov's 6.

59 in 66 is better than 66 in 77. Barkov is also an elite shutdown center already, Florida got a steal with that contract. Hopefully we can too.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa

Kuch will get between 6.5 - 7 max term.

Gotta agree with these.

With that said, we can still keep everyone in the core AND Stamkos. We've all said it before, but what it really comes down to is about 1.5 to 2 million (plus some change).

If he comes back and dominates in the latter half of these playoffs, I don't think we can afford to push signing him.

This playoffs push essentially proves we have the "Blackhawks 2.0" dynasty if we keep everything together for another 3-5 years.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
59 in 66 is better than 66 in 77. Barkov is also an elite shutdown center already, Florida got a steal with that contract. Hopefully we can too.

Ya I don't get it kucherov is going to get the same as Barkov maybe a little more but not much more.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The sad part about Stammergeddon is that it will probably end before reaching 10.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It might be over. We've proven too much without him for anyone to reasonably believe he's our best player.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It might be over. We've proven too much without him for anyone to reasonably believe he's our best player.

Agreed. You can't pay your team's not best player "best player in the league" money.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
If Stamkos is gone, who wears the 'C'?

Can you really give it to Hedman? Killorn? Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad