Speculation: Stammergeddon: Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No give it to Callahan. That C is a curse. Don't want it on Hedman.

That is not very nice. :shakehead lol

Anyway, Cally is the most logical choice, he was a captain, wears the permanent "A", and still has 4 years on his contract, and with Stamkos gone, his cap hit becomes less of a concern.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well I also think Callahan is actually captain material. Our best captain, Andreychuk, was not our best player. I'm not actually a fan of just slapping it on the best player. Put it on a heart and soul guy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wouldn't want the C on a guy who very reasonably won't be here long-term. Cally is definitely winning me back, but the reality is his contract might have to be moved within a few years. With such a young core, and with so much turnover with our captains, I think we need to choose a guy we believe will be here for the next decade. Cally doesn't need the C to be a leader.

I feel like it's either Hedman or Palat. Hedman because he's just flat-out the franchise. Palat because Cooper has said he's the guy who sets the example for the team's work ethic off the ice. (This was a while ago. I wish I could remember the exact quote, but it was surprising because he seemed to be implying that Palat was the team's leader.)

Darth Corgi

Dec 23, 2011
Florida
Well I also think Callahan is actually captain material. Our best captain, Andreychuk, was not our best player. I'm not actually a fan of just slapping it on the best player. Put it on a heart and soul guy.

I totally agree. Give it to Cally. The guy is already acting like the captain. Who would of thought Marty leaving would of been this beneficial to us? Let's go Bolts!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What do you think the Lightning offer Stamkos now? I'm thinking $8.5 million x 7 or 8 years and they tell him to take it or leave it.

I think Yzerman will try to work some cap magic at the end of June to make one last run at Stamkos. But I don't think Stamkos has much leverage, at least with us. Can't see us going to much above 9m, and, it's pretty obvious to us now that even that's an overpayment. 8.5 is an overpayment, especially if we're talking about bringing Kuch back for under 7.

This really all went down last year, when Stammer didn't step up in the playoffs. He unfortunately didn't get a chance to make up for that. This is why you throw sample sizes out the window when it comes to the playoffs. Every game is huge. And I think last year might have sealed Stammer's fate. He looked like a passenger, and, this year, the team has kind of proven he was indeed a passenger.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think Yzerman will try to work some cap magic at the end of June to make one last run at Stamkos. But I don't think Stamkos has much leverage, at least with us. Can't see us going to much above 9m, and, it's pretty obvious to us now that even that's an overpayment. 8.5 is an overpayment, especially if we're talking about bringing Kuch back for under 7.

This really all went down last year, when Stammer didn't step up in the playoffs. He unfortunately didn't get a chance to make up for that. This is why you throw sample sizes out the window when it comes to the playoffs. Every game is huge. And I think last year might have sealed Stammer's fate. He looked like a passenger, and, this year, the team has kind of proven he was indeed a passenger.

I agree with all that. I think we see a few moves on draft day made by Yzerman to clear up extra cap space and then some time later on or around July 1st, Stamkos' agents give the Lightning a chance to exceed any previous offers that were made after testing the market. The Lightning will obviously not be in a position to offer him a blank paycheck, but hopefully they can reach a middle ground with Stamkos' agents.

There's nothing wrong to see what the market would give and using that as a barometer for Stamkos' agents and Steve Yzerman to work with. But it's wrong on Stamkos' end to publicly maintain that you wanted to stay all along just walk away for more money elsewhere. It's not exactly an open secret that this team is going to be expensive as hell to maintain and keep together.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006

As much as I agree with the first paragraph, I cannot disagree more with your second (bolded) bit.

Amidst his worst cold streak last season that saw all but a few of his remaining loyal fans jump off his bandwagon his coach, GM, and team mates showed no such doubt in their Captain.

May 3rd 2015 - Stamkos had only 3 goals in his previous 18 games, and those 3 had come in back to back games versus Florida and New Jersey who were already booking tee times and planning summer vacations. No goals in the preceding 8 playoff games and only 3 assists. A reporter in the pregame Q&A sarcastically echoed all the HF doubters in asking Coop the following

Stamkos mentioned he had...you know, he isn't scoring in the first round. So he focused on other parts of his game - the faceoffs and that stuff. How much have you seen him improve or get better at those other parts?

The doubters laugh here believing Stamkos hadn't focused on or improved anything. He's obviously inept at everything but scoring and without even that he sucks and is worthless. Cooper's response?

Well if Stamkos couldn't play the game he wouldn't play. I mean, Stammer, he's not just a goalscorer, he can play 200ft of the ice and I think everybody focuses on his goalscoring and then doesn't really focus on the other aspects of the game. Well- now..you can focus on the other aspects of the game and..uh...scoring is way down, at the playoffs, I think, it's well documented, nobody is really scoring in these playoffs. And so, you just, sometimes you get one or two and thats it and that is all you need to win, and for...Is this a little unusually long for him to go without a goal? Sure it is. But he's had his chances. He's up there leading our team in shots and doing all these things, they just haven't gone in for him yet and eventually they will. But, we don't have him out on the ice because he is a goalscorer. I mean, the kid can play hockey, so, I, uh, we wouldn't have him out there in key situations. and late in the game when we're up if we didn't think he could do the job.And that kid CAN do the job. He just, I mean, the spotlight is on him to score goals and when he doesn't alarms start going off, but, (/shrugs here) not with us.

Stamkos then scored 7 goals and 7 assists in the next 9 games. He was not a passenger. He was a key component helping us get past the second and third rounds. He couldn't get things done against Chicago, but, neither could the rest of the team. Two days after the final, in his exit interview, Yzerman is asked;

Steven played, pretty much, both ends of the ice, led everyone in hits, really kind of changed his game a little bit this year, uh, moved to the right wing..is that what you envision out of him? That style of play, or is he somebody that needs to go back to center?

Yzerman responded

Well, he can, I think he can play anywhere. Rightwing, leftwing, or center. The more he plays in these situations the more comfortable he'll get. I don't think anybody should make a big deal out of where these guys play. Whether on the wing or at center, once the pucks dropped everybody knows their responsibilities each other whether you're the rightwing, leftwing, or centreman it's really more, they use, the coaches use the term F1, F2, and F3 for the forward 1st, 2nd, 3rd you got to read this depending on where you are on the ice, which forward you are, and make decisions at that. I'd just say this about Stammer as our Captain. He did everything that was asked of him. He put the team ahead of himself. He played injured. He played hard. He did everything we asked. He is a tremendous leader and very unselfish guy and a big reason we got to game 6 of the finals is his attitude and willingness to do whatever they asked him to do.

A year later, with him having not contributed to this playoffs yet...I still believe Stamkos is an integral part of our core going forward. More importantly, I think Stamkos himself and his team mates believe he is an integral part of the core. Him signing a fair deal that doesn't break the bank will ultimately just be another leading example of him being unselfish, putting team first, and setting the expectation for all the other talent on the team about to sign new deals.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As much as I agree with the first paragraph, I cannot disagree more with your second (bolded) bit.

Amidst his worst cold streak last season that saw all but a few of his remaining loyal fans jump off his bandwagon his coach, GM, and team mates showed no such doubt in their Captain.

May 3rd 2015 - Stamkos had only 3 goals in his previous 18 games, and those 3 had come in back to back games versus Florida and New Jersey who were already booking tee times and planning summer vacations. No goals in the preceding 8 playoff games and only 3 assists. A reporter in the pregame Q&A sarcastically echoed all the HF doubters in asking Coop the following

The doubters laugh here believing Stamkos hadn't focused on or improved anything. He's obviously inept at everything but scoring and without even that he sucks and is worthless. Cooper's response?

Stamkos then scored 7 goals and 7 assists in the next 9 games. He was not a passenger. He was a key component helping us get past the second and third rounds. He couldn't get things done against Chicago, but, neither could the rest of the team. Two days after the final, in his exit interview, Yzerman is asked;

Yzerman responded

A year later, with him having not contributed to this playoffs yet...I still believe Stamkos is an integral part of our core going forward. More importantly, I think Stamkos himself and his team mates believe he is an integral part of the core. Him signing a fair deal that doesn't break the bank will ultimately just be another leading example of him being unselfish, putting team first, and setting the expectation for all the other talent on the team about to sign new deals.

Sounds like a guy we would have had signed by now. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Stamkos was something like 5th among forwards in icetime in last year's playoffs. He was integral vs. NYR, not against MTL, and that was as a 2C. When he was a 1C again, vs. Chicago, he didn't get it done.

We may or may not have immediately tried to trade him for Jack Eichel.

Yzerman and Cooper also praised Teddy Purcell, whom we traded for cap space.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Sounds like a guy we would have had signed by now. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Stamkos was something like 5th among forwards in icetime in last year's playoffs. He was integral vs. NYR, not against MTL, and that was as a 2C. When he was a 1C again, vs. Chicago, he didn't get it done.

We may or may not have immediately tried to trade him for Jack Eichel.

Yzerman and Cooper also praised Teddy Purcell, whom we traded for cap space.

I'd take Eichel in a heartbeat and anyone who says no is crazy

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What do you think the Lightning offer Stamkos now? I'm thinking $8.5 million x 7 or 8 years and they tell him to take it or leave it.

Can't afford 8.5 million. Definitely not at 8 years.

7.5 x 6 and we're being generous. We have more important players to re-sign.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
There are really only two possibilities here on his end.

1. He doesn't want to play in Tampa anymore.

Or

2. He wants a lot of money.

This is why I have come to the conclusion that he has played his last game in a Lightning sweater.

KuchMeImDreamin

May 11, 2016
I see the logic from everyone and can appreciate both sides, he returns/he doesn't, for whatever reason.
A first pick only comes when your fans have endured a haaard span of seasons dwelling near the abyss of mediocrity. Stammer was our hope for a new era, a dream of being more than an also ran. I think he is a hard worker and a helluva player.
Unfortunately it is one of the consequences of the cap era, we cannot afford everyone. Even a player that has given us so much, and with multiple deep playoff runs, maybe made a few dreams come true.
I hope we can come to terms, but if not, I'll still tip my cap. Thanks Stammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad