Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Woll and Sammy are the same size (6’3”), and similar in terms of ability to make crazy athletic recovery saves (maybe slight edge Sammy, but very close), but IMO Woll is just SO much better positionally. Sammy is frequently swimming in the crease, very often overcommits to the shooter and then is completely f***ed if the shooter passes. Woll is very controlled in his movements, doesn’t overcommit, can adapt very well/quickly as the opposition passes the puck from side to side. This is a huge advantage IMO.

He also seems more calm and consistent, less prone to getting down on himself and falling into cold streaks. I think his angles/stance is a bit better too, takes up more of the net and leaves less space for tips and whatnot to sneak through. And he consistently puts up much higher save percentages than Sammy, behind the same team.

I don’t get why Keefe is so fixated on Sammy being the starter, but hopefully he’s woken up. I like Sammy too, he’s a fine backup, but Woll is the better goalie.

If we could’ve done these 2 things from the start:
1. Start Woll from game 1
2. Made special teams adjustments so we could be roughly even in terms of PP/PK effectiveness to the Bruins, instead of getting dominated

We’d be in the drivers seat in this series. As it is we’re still in a tough position, very much a long shot to move on, but we do still have a chance, due significantly to Woll getting the starting gig IMO. I don’t think we win game 5 with Sammy.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He is a good goalie and played well up until his injury. I don't question his abilities, simply the durability. I am glad I didn't have to see him take the pain of being the losing goalie in game 5 OT of a series again, especially when he didn't deserve it.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Incredible performance in game 5.

Multiple series-saving stops including the massive one in OT. It doesn't matter how good or bad your team is, the goalie needs to make big saves and Woll did it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Said it after game 1 I never wanted to see samsonov in a playoff game again, had enough of seeing that chaotic mess.

You can't win in the playoffs with a goalie that plays like samsonov. Can't believe Keefe wanted to hitch his wagon to him time and time again.

Reactions: Confucius

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Woll can definitely be the Cinderella story of this year’s playoffs… wins on Thursday and Saturday writes the script.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Woll and Sammy are the same size (6’3”), and similar in terms of ability to make crazy athletic recovery saves (maybe slight edge Sammy, but very close), but IMO Woll is just SO much better positionally. Sammy is frequently swimming in the crease, very often overcommits to the shooter and then is completely f***ed if the shooter passes. Woll is very controlled in his movements, doesn’t overcommit, can adapt very well/quickly as the opposition passes the puck from side to side. This is a huge advantage IMO.

He also seems more calm and consistent, less prone to getting down on himself and falling into cold streaks. I think his angles/stance is a bit better too, takes up more of the net and leaves less space for tips and whatnot to sneak through. And he consistently puts up much higher save percentages than Sammy, behind the same team.

I don’t get why Keefe is so fixated on Sammy being the starter, but hopefully he’s woken up. I like Sammy too, he’s a fine backup, but Woll is the better goalie.

2. Made special teams adjustments so we could be roughly even in terms of PP/PK effectiveness to the Bruins, instead of getting dominated

We’d be in the drivers seat in this series. As it is we’re still in a tough position, very much a long shot to move on, but we do still have a chance, due significantly to Woll getting the starting gig IMO. I don’t think we win game 5 with Sammy.
I don't think you can fault Keefe here. Sammy had found his form after early season struggles. Woll hadn't shown anything resembling what we saw last night after he came back from injury. You can argue perhaps he should have gone to Woll for G4, but that's about it. You make these decisions based on how they are playing, and based on that, I don't think you can fault him.

That said, at this point its Woll's net here on out. Hopefully he can keep up his level of play.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
It’s amazing what a difference it makes when the goalie doesn’t give up a soft goal or three in every playoff game.

Now the big question is, will Bozo the Keefe decide to go back to Samsonov for Gane 6?
Keefe should be fired tomorrow afternoon if he chooses to start Sammy.

Reactions: OddyOh

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's easy to say this with the benefit of a single-game level of hindsight, but starting Woll in this series would have been a ridiculous decision - he couldn't stop a beachball down the stretch, it was Samsonov's net, and he's the goalie that won you a series last season + he has game stealing potential, with the goal of being stealing 1 of the first 2 in Boston.

I think strong consideration could have been made for starting Woll in game 4 at home, particularly after the Frederic goal (which will imo, still go down as the turning point of the series). But beyond that goal, Samsonov actually had a really good game 3 I thought and has shown a strong ability to bounce back after tough stretches / moments, so I don't think you can blame Keefe too much on the way he handled goaltending in this series.

You just hope that Woll catches fire now and eventually takes this thing back to Beantown for 7

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Can't believe Keefe wanted to hitch his wagon to him time and time again.
Sad Keefe needed to see that again. Like last year’s playoff meltdown and this year’s time in juniors wasn’t enough clue.

Reactions: OddyOh

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
IMG_8288.jpeg

Sad we rely on a league minimum goalie to save us.

Sadly constructed mess.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Man knew they should have just went to him after game 1. Cost us 3 games of Woll not doing so. Lets hope he has another gem!

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Its also possible the extra time gave him enough rest to play this well. Keefes only mistake was not starting him in game #4 imo.

Reactions: Goose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad