Speculation: Stammergeddon: Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
There are really only two possibilities here on his end.

1. He doesn't want to play in Tampa anymore.

Or

2. He wants a lot of money.

This is why I have come to the conclusion that he has played his last game in a Lightning sweater.

It's probably a bit of both. I wonder if there were a few things that led to this. The rumor that he was offered to the Sabres for Eichel. Him playing wing when he likes to play Center. Also possible that Yzermans offer was insulting to him or at least to his agent.

I'm personally interested in seeing what his attitude is if we make it to the SCF again. Maybe he would really think hard about what he would be walking away from. Great weather, great organization and fans, and on a contender. Or are the Lightning simply walking away from him?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
First - we can't afford a raise.

Second - what has he done to deserve a raise?

His output has gone down. He hasn't shown much in 3 playoffs with the Lightning. He doesn't excel at any facet of the game (No, not even scoring. Not anymore.)

Why SHOULD we pay him more than his last contract?

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
I mean, he does have games where he kills momentum any time he touches the puck. Not what you want from your top paid player.

And Kucherov was very lucky the other night he was bailed out after he pulled a "Kovalev". Everybody has their moments but surely god you don't believe the the TBL are better with Paquette than Stamkos

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
If you aren't taking contracts into account than sure give me Stamkos. But this is reality and he isn't worth his contract, Paquette is playing at the level he gets paid.

If Stamkos was healthy and it was game 7 of the SCF and you could only play one, would you play Paquette or Stamkos?

Better yet, if it was game 7 of the SCF, who would Cooper play?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think I am.

In a game 7 of the SCF who would you take?

Everyone is taking about contracts and worth to the team. Do you re-sign one guy for 9 or 10 million a year or do you use that money to re-sign multiple guys who have been carrying this team in these playoffs.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Everyone is taking about contracts and worth to the team. Do you re-sign one guy for 9 or 10 million a year or do you use that money to re-sign multiple guys who have been carrying this team in these playoffs.[/QUOTE

Contract has never been brought up once. At no point did he say this team is better without Stamkos at 9 or 10 million.

He said "I think we're a better team without him".

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Contract has never been brought up once. At no point did he say this team is better without Stamkos at 9 or 10 million.

This team could survive without Stamkos, that might be the better way to put it. When it comes to the amount of the contract then you have to look at the options. Is this team better with Stamkos, well would hope so. But when weighing the contract, giving him 9 or 10 million could actually make things worse for the team overall, and I think that is where people are getting at.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
This team could survive without Stamkos, that might be the better way to put it. When it comes to the amount of the contract then you have to look at the options. Is this team better with Stamkos, well would hope so. But when weighing the contract, giving him 9 or 10 million could actually make things worse for the team overall, and I think that is where people are getting at.

All valid points if we're talking contract inclusion but I took it as a straight up "this current team which is one win away from the SCF is better with Stamkos on the sidelines".

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Everyone is taking about contracts and worth to the team. Do you re-sign one guy for 9 or 10 million a year or do you use that money to re-sign multiple guys who have been carrying this team in these playoffs.[/QUOTE

We're a better team spending 7.5 million elsewhere (not even talking about more than that).

Moreover - this team is playing like more than the sum of its parts. And I think a large part of that is Cooper, Kucherov, Killorn, et. al. aren't sacrificing their own games to try and prop Stamkos up.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
And Kucherov was very lucky the other night he was bailed out after he pulled a "Kovalev". Everybody has their moments but surely god you don't believe the the TBL are better with Paquette than Stamkos

See, that is the issue. Other players have "moments" while stamkos has 5 games at a time of being a black hole.

I never once said anything about paquette versus stamkos. But, when stamkos is off, the team is better without him. When he is feeling it, we are better with him. Problem is, he is off more than not.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Steven Stamkos game 7 history

2011 vs Pittsburgh 0 points
2011 vs Boston 0 points
2015 vs Detroit 0 points
2015 vs New York 0 points

Don't think I want him in the game to be honest

Let me rephrase. If Stamkos is cleared between now and the end of the cup run, does Cooper put him in the lineup or does he say "Thanks Stammer, but we're good".

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think I am.

In a game 7 of the SCF who would you take?

The choice isn't between Stamkos and Paquette. It's more likely between Stamkos and Johnson, or Stamkos and Bishop, or Stamkos and Kucherov.

Are we a better team with Stamkos? Sure, if there's no cap. But probably not in a cap world.

Our PP might be better without him regardless of the cap. It's looked markedly better, even when we're not scoring, without him. At least now we're not killing our own momentum.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Stop changing the narrative when you get called out on your argument.

But I feel I have to because you're obviously struggling with the question. You're obviously smarter than this so I can only assume you're trying to play Devil's Advocate.

Let me answer for you.

100 times out of 100, Cooper inserts Stamkos back into the lineup for game 7 if he's healthy, and he doesn't bat an eye. Why? Because he's paid to win games and Stamkos in the lineup gives this team a better chance of winning those games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But I feel I have to because you're obviously struggling with the question. You're obviously smarter than this so I can only assume you're trying to play Devil's Advocate.

Let me answer for you.

100 times out of 100, Cooper inserts Stamkos back into the lineup for game 7 if he's healthy, and he doesn't bat an eye. Why? Because he's paid to win games and Stamkos in the lineup gives this team a better chance of winning those games.

Ok I agree if Stamkos is healthy he is in the game.

But to suggest Stamkos will be the reason we win is wrong and to suggest he gets paid to win is also wrong. He has 0 points in 4 previous game 7's. The Lightning have missed the playoffs the same amount as they've made it in his career. They've been to the ECF 3 times but he wasn't the reason they have in any of those cases. Stamkos is a good player but not a game changer anymore.

If it was between Stamkos or Paquette/Namestnikov I go Stamkos other than those two I keep the other 9 forwards over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad