TSN: Stamkos meeting with leafs, Toronto mayor, and CEO of Canadian tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
It's sketchy as hell, and if big market clubs make a habit of coordinating FA signings with outside sponsors (and doing so so publicly), there'll be some pissed off small market owners and some clear language against this in the next CBA. Although the language is already pretty clear:

However, nothing in this Section 26.3(e) is intended to prohibit a Player
from entering into a sponsorship, endorsement or other commercial
arrangement with a local sponsor or entity with which his Club does
business but which is not a Club Affiliated Entity, in which the Player
receives something of value, provided the thing of value received is
commensurate with (i.e., not clearly in excess of) the fair market value of
the services rendered by the Player on behalf of the sponsor or entity.
With respect to any sponsorship or endorsement arrangement between a
Player and a national sponsor, any thing of value provided to a Player
under such arrangement shall be presumptively acceptable (i.e., such thing
of value need not meet the "fair market value" test set forth in the
preceding sentence), provided that such arrangement was not made at the
behest of the Player's Club or any other Club Actor. However, the NHL
shall have the right to challenge before the System Arbitrator, through an
expedited arbitration proceeding pursuant to the third sentence of Section
26.13(a) below, the bona fides of any such national sponsorship or
endorsement arrangement on the grounds that it was actually provided for
the benefit of a particular Club.

Quite silly that a CEO cannot speak the truth that Stamkos would be of more value to them in Toronto than he would in Buffalo, Tampa Bay or Detroit.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
It's Simmons, who's arguably the biggest hack in the Toronto media (which is saying a lot). I'd reserve judgement until someone else reports this.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Do you not think that the MLSE lawyers have gone over any deals with a fine tooth comb?

what do lawyers have anything to do with it? If the BOG vote that you violated the CBA and circumnavigated the cap, you get penalized. Big time!

It's hockey, ruled by Bettman, Daley & the BOG not the supreme court of Canada. MLSE can sue the NHL but they'll probably lose another 1st round pick.

More hack reporting. I highly doubt Shanny would be doing something so brazen and stupid.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's a shame there's not a better Toronto native to throw all this **** at. Stamkos is a good player but not worth the pomp and circumstance.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
then how does simmons know?

Valid question. I don't know. I can't stand Steve Simmonds but I'm sure he knows someone. If it's true or not I don't know I wasn't there either but I was commenting more on the general idea of it. It's really not a crazy though process to have those 2 people there. It's not like they had the Queen.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
what kind of business relationship is there between MLSE and Canadian tire? Are they related parties somehow?

I would have to assume the CBA has something prohibiting related parties of the organization from paying the player outside of the salary cap.

I'm telling you. If this goes through.. its going to be bad for the direction the league is trying to go in.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
so to summarize:

simmons: stamkos is here
dreger: nothing
mckenzie: nothing
mirtle: nothing
every other reporter: nothing

something is weird here

Dreger: MLSE employee
McKenize: MLSE employee
Simmons: Not technically MLSE employee
Mirtle: Not really an insider

Seems like if you're trying to avoid tampering allegations, you should get your employees to not perpetuate the storyline of Stamkos heading to Toronto

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
What people aren't understanding here is Can Tire and others aren't just gonna pay Stamkos millions out of the goodness of their hearts. Stamkos in Toronto will make THEM money. That's why this sort of thing likely wont happen elsewhere. Stamkos signing here would be a HUGE deal, and having his face with a Leafs jersey on representing your business is ideal for these huge corporations.

That's why Canadian Tire, and others, will want Stamkos to sign with the Leafs. That's also why they are going to pay him millions in endorsements that he won't get anywhere else. Because there are more people that care about hockey here then anywhere else. And that's a fact.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So this will be the new back loaded contracts. IF Toronto does successfully do this.. you can bet other will follow and the league will end up in another lock out.
Which other market has massive access to corporate sponsors that have an interest in making a hockey player the face of their brand. Ya, NYC guys will get good deals, same with LA and Chicago, possibly also the Habs, but no where else can really create these deals. Stamkos ain't getting a 2 million dollar deal to sponsor Anchor Bar.

Lets put it this way, if Stamkos signs with Toronto at a decent cap hit, and Canadian Tire is viewed as a primary actor in it, then they just bought a lot of good will and customer support.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This whole sponsor thing doesn't smell right... They basically saying sign for less and make up the money else where. Seems like cap circumventing to me
It's not liek they'd sign him less than market value, at $5M

it'd be like $10M vs a team going balls-to-the-wall with $12M
And endorsements wouldn't be to cover a lowball salary but as added incentive on Toronto's best offer.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
what do lawyers have anything to do with it? If the BOG vote that you violated the CBA and circumnavigated the cap, you get penalized. Big time!

It's hockey, ruled by Bettman, Daley & the BOG not the supreme court of Canada.

I believe that they would eventually go to the courts actually if the NHL tried to reprimand them

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
what kind of business relationship is there between MLSE and Canadian tire? Are they related parties somehow?

I would have to assume the CBA has something prohibiting related parties of the organization from paying the player outside of the salary cap.

I'm telling you. If this goes through.. its going to be bad for the direction the league is trying to go in.

It's been mentioned like 10 times that Stamkos is sponsored by Sportchek, which is essentially owned by Canadian Tire.

So Leafs brass met Stamkos, the CEO of one of his sponsors and the mayor of Toronto.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
What people aren't understanding here is Can Tire and others aren't just gonna pay Stamkos millions out of the goodness of their hearts. Stamkos in Toronto will make THEM money. That's why this sort of thing likely wont happen elsewhere. Stamkos signing here would be a HUGE deal, and having his face with a Leafs jersey on representing your business is ideal for these huge corporations.

That's why Canadian Tire, and others, will want Stamkos to sign with the Leafs. That's also why they are going to pay him millions in endorsements that he won't get anywhere else. Because there are more people that care about hockey here then anywhere else. And that's a fact.

:shakehead

I would be shocked if there's anyone who doesn't understand that.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC

Yeah...sponsors paying a player more to sign with a certain team which in turns helps out a city while may have good intentions at heart, it's still circumvention.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
seems like some shady dealings going on. Why bring the CEO of a major company to a meeting? Smells like cap circumvention.

Quite frankly the way that TSN fawns over Stamkos to the leafs doesn't seem right to me either, they are part owners of the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad