TSN: Stamkos meeting with leafs, Toronto mayor, and CEO of Canadian tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Just saw Stamkos in Buffalo with Pegula,Murray and this guy....

r720j7.jpg

buttman*

Canadian tire and sportchek have their own business with stamkos. It's nothing new. Just because they're discussing it while stamkos is visiting Canada doesn't mean the leafs are tampering. :naughty:

This is so true. Just because they are going to double or even triple his endorsement deal doesn't have anything to do with the Leafs. This is just Stamkos covering his bases.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It's sketchy as hell, and if big market clubs make a habit of coordinating FA signings with outside sponsors (and doing so so publicly), there'll be some pissed off small market owners and some clear language against this in the next CBA. Although the language is already pretty clear:

However, nothing in this Section 26.3(e) is intended to prohibit a Player
from entering into a sponsorship, endorsement or other commercial
arrangement with a local sponsor or entity with which his Club does
business but which is not a Club Affiliated Entity, in which the Player
receives something of value, provided the thing of value received is
commensurate with (i.e., not clearly in excess of) the fair market value of
the services rendered by the Player on behalf of the sponsor or entity.
With respect to any sponsorship or endorsement arrangement between a
Player and a national sponsor, any thing of value provided to a Player
under such arrangement shall be presumptively acceptable (i.e., such thing
of value need not meet the "fair market value" test set forth in the
preceding sentence), provided that such arrangement was not made at the
behest of the Player's Club or any other Club Actor. However, the NHL
shall have the right to challenge before the System Arbitrator, through an
expedited arbitration proceeding pursuant to the third sentence of Section
26.13(a) below, the bona fides of any such national sponsorship or
endorsement arrangement on the grounds that it was actually provided for
the benefit of a particular Club.

Do you not think that the MLSE lawyers have gone over any deals with a fine tooth comb?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
The Canadian Tire CEO is not a team actor though, which is perhaps why he's there.

I'm sure he just happened to wander into Toronto's offices today and randomly found himself in the same conference room as Stamkos.

Here is where the Leafs went right though... Stamkos already has a sponsorship with Canadian Tire via Sportchek.

Thats why this is extremely hard to prove. The Leafs didn't go out and find new endorsers but instead went to his current endorsement.

that doesn't matter. the CBA doesn't say anything about current endorsements or what not. regardless, he will almost certainly be signing a new endorsement.. they don't just hand over extra money without a contract.

The NHL learned and gave the Devils their pick back. How do you like those apples?

They were still penalized a 3rd round pick, 1.5M and didn't get their original pick back?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Yeah they really would. But not all of them can come. Those guys are locked up we actally have a good chance with stamkos. As long as the deal is below 10 million I'm really happy.

Oh, I thought you were being facetious so I was playing along.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
why is steve simmons the only one who knows this? how does no one else report this?? i mean this is stamkos in toronto. nobody but him is saying this

BC Lou is the GM. We all know he doesn't leak info.

As for Toronto getting him, it would be great for the city. The perception of stamkos, specifically on Hfboards, fell off a cliff after he liked the Leafs articles online. He's better than most are saying but he's not a 60 goal scorer. He's a 40-45 goal scorer though and a legit #1. The person who oils benefit most from Stamkos is Matthews IMO

As for cap circumvention. I suppose if Canadian Tire called TML and said we want to be in that meeting BC we want to make a pitch also, then that shouldn't be circumvention as CT is initiating that process. Just my 2 cents there

Finally, IMO he stays in Tmapa and is using the Leafs to get more $$

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
The Canadian Tire CEO is not a team actor though, which is perhaps why he's there.

But he's there at the Toronto facility, likely invited by Toronto's brass. They can't even organize something like that or it can qualify as cap circumvention if he signs with Toronto and gets any type of sponsorship deal from CT.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Read this on TSN, ugh... why would you even say these words?

“He’s a player who speaks to Canadian values,” Cooper said. “He’s not a guy you’re going to be reading about having problems with a DUI or domestic battery. And he’s humble. He shows how good he is by playing, not by talking about how good he is.”

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so to summarize:

simmons: stamkos is here
dreger: nothing
mckenzie: nothing
mirtle: nothing
every other reporter: nothing

something is weird here

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014
God I hope Toronto takes him. He will help for sure but the cap and his injury issues will always be looming over the leafs

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
BC Lou is the GM. We all know he doesn't leak info.

As for Toronto getting him, it would be great for the city. The perception of stamkos, specifically on Hfboards, fell off a cliff after he liked the Leafs articles online. He's better than most are saying but he's not a 60 goal scorer. He's a 40-45 goal scorer though and a legit #1. The person who oils benefit most from Stamkos is Matthews IMO

As for cap circumvention. I suppose if Canadian Tire called TML and said we want to be in that meeting BC we want to make a pitch also, then that shouldn't be circumvention as CT is initiating that process. Just my 2 cents there

Finally, IMO he stays in Tmapa and is using the Leafs to get more $$

then how does simmons know?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It will be literally impossible to prove collusion to circumvent without one party spilling the beans. Due to the simple fact that Stamkos has a previous relationship with Sport Chek. Smart move by the Leafs if Simmons isn't just blowing hot air.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'll be booing him loudly if he gets an endorsement that means the end of Gary.

"Umm Steve, there is one thing about your salary....."

OB-SX680_CANTIR_G_20120510160825.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad