TSN: Stamkos meeting with leafs, Toronto mayor, and CEO of Canadian tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I LOVE HOW ****IN SMART LOU AND SHANAHAN ARE!

bring down the cap hit and give him extra money from other sources.

How smart are these guys? so resourceful. so creative.

lets get it done boys!!!!! :yo::yo::yo:

They're smart? This idea has been suggested by the likes of idiots like Nick Kypreos, even a monkey could have come up with this idea when you're owned by MLSE.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
With all the bad contracts that have been signed with Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc I don't give two ****s!

Florida has zero income tax, Ontario has 53%.

Teams are still trading Pronger and Savards contracts around so go suck on sour grapes somewhere else.

It's about time MLSE management got smart and found a way even up the odds!!!

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Why do you combine the federal taxes with Ontario but don't mention US federal taxes for Florida? A deceptive point, Sir!

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Seems a bit much, but nothing compared to the way the Toronto media have been fawning over him all damn season. :laugh:

I'm just glad it'll all be over in a day or two.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Oh, I thought you were being facetious so I was playing along.

Lol nah just a bit excited that we can finally get a potential stud f/a. It sucked to lose out on richards (though in hindsight it was great for us). As long as the leafs keep building a team that is attractive to f/a I'm pretty happy. I mean if we don't get stamkos bUT are one of the final choices that's a succsess. We got to make players think toronto is a destination they want to play in.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Can you really trust anything from this person after the Phil Kessel hotdog thing?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It will be literally impossible to prove collusion to circumvent without one party spilling the beans. Due to the simple fact that Stamkos has a previous relationship with Sport Chek. Smart move by the Leafs if Simmons isn't just blowing hot air.

You don't need to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt to an arbitrator. It's not a case before a criminal court. In all likelihood the league doesn't give a **** but it's simply wrong to imply it would have to "prove" collusion in order to garner a favorable ruling.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
I don't want the leafs to sign stamkos unless they can get him for a cap hit of 8 million anything more and this rebuild will become a joke really. The leafs need to suck for a couple more years and draft well signing stamkos hinders that.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I dont know what's funnier to me, the shadyness of this situation and the chance of a metro line/station being named after Steve Stamkos, who has done nothing to garnish that or the Toronto fans on here defending it and claiming circumventing the cap is genius not crooked. Will be funny if it works out, good for the Leafs if they can pull a fast one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Read this on TSN, ugh... why would you even say these words?

“He’s a player who speaks to Canadian values,†Cooper said. “He’s not a guy you’re going to be reading about having problems with a DUI or domestic battery. And he’s humble. He shows how good he is by playing, not by talking about how good he is.â€

What does that even mean? Why don't coaches stick to hockey anecdotes and leave identity politics out of pro sports. :rolleyes:

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
So this will be the new back loaded contracts. IF Toronto does successfully do this.. you can bet other will follow and the league will end up in another lock out.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
They were punished for the 17 year contract that never got approved... the one that the devils took the NHL to an arbitrator for, and the arbitrator ruled it was cap circumvention and voided the deal.

They were not punished for th 15 year deal that got approved.

So there goes that argument. The league did say "not a good contract, start over"... the devils said "Screw you we think its good and are taking it to an arbitrator"... the arbitrator said the NHL is right. Essentially the Devils were punished because they were told by the NHL this wouldnt be approved and still fought to try and do it.

Nope. NJD were punished for the 17 year deal and sent back to the drawing board where they came up with the 15 year deal.

Then the NHLPA filed a grievance to an arbitrator on behalf of Kovalchuk, (NJ didn't file it). Arb ruled with NHL and Kovalchuk was left with 15 year deal.
NHL eventually backed on their ruling themselves, compensating NJ with a first round pick (defaulted to 30OA) but NJ still lost a 3rd, as well as were fined, simply for submitting a contract to the "yes/no" NHL approval system.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
This whole sponsor thing doesn't smell right... They basically saying sign for less and make up the money else where. Seems like cap circumventing to me

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I must say, this has been a quick rebuild for Toronto. Hope it works out for you guys.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Some people need to realize that Stamkos already has an endorsement deal with Sport Chek, whose ownership group is owned by Canadian Tire, so it makes perfect sense for him to be at the meeting.

Why? They're mutually exclusive.

If there is any whiff of a "you come here we'll give him a new endorsement deal" then it's clear circumvention and the rest of the league should throw a brick through Gary's window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad