TSN: Stamkos meeting with leafs, Toronto mayor, and CEO of Canadian tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Which other market has massive access to corporate sponsors that have an interest in making a hockey player the face of their brand. Ya, NYC guys will get good deals, same with LA and Chicago, possibly also the Habs, but no where else can really create these deals. Stamkos ain't getting a 2 million dollar deal to sponsor Anchor Bar.

Lets put it this way, if Stamkos signs with Toronto at a decent cap hit, and Canadian Tire is viewed as a primary actor in it, then they just bought a lot of good will and customer support.

Does Crosby not have major endorsements in Canada? Most of what you say is true to a point, though overstated. The last sentence is pretty laughable though.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Just feels wrong, so likely it is, however I am not so sure I feel that the owners pocketing expansion fees outside of hockey related revenue feels right either... Or sponsorship on jerseys, the boards, the ice, the holographs on the glass seems right to me at least,

I guess that is either progress or just a total selling out of the game.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
What people aren't understanding here is Can Tire and others aren't just gonna pay Stamkos millions out of the goodness of their hearts. Stamkos in Toronto will make THEM money. That's why this sort of thing likely wont happen elsewhere. Stamkos signing here would be a HUGE deal, and having his face with a Leafs jersey on representing your business is ideal for these huge corporations.

That's why Canadian Tire, and others, will want Stamkos to sign with the Leafs. That's also why they are going to pay him millions in endorsements that he won't get anywhere else. Because there are more people that care about hockey here then anywhere else. And that's a fact.

Pretty much this. Any business paying an athlete millions in endorsements will do their due diligence and have their bean counters crunch the numbers on how much Stamkos's name is worth to them in each of the 30 jerseys. If Stamkos in Toronto ends up making them 5mil a year more than anywhere else, naturally they'd pay him more if he wound up in that market. Passing along a chart that shows how much he's worth to them in each city isn't circumvention, he's still free to make the choice to go somewhere else, earn less money from Sportchek, but save more money on lower tax rates or cost of living.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Why? They're mutually exclusive.

If there is any whiff of a "you come here we'll give him a new endorsement deal" then it's clear circumvention and the rest of the league should throw a brick through Gary's window.

No it's not...

You don't think Nike offers basketball players more if they go to NY or LA?

Canadian Tire has nothing to do with MLSE.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Which other market has massive access to corporate sponsors that have an interest in making a hockey player the face of their brand. Ya, NYC guys will get good deals, same with LA and Chicago, possibly also the Habs, but no where else can really create these deals. Stamkos ain't getting a 2 million dollar deal to sponsor Anchor Bar.

Lets put it this way, if Stamkos signs with Toronto at a decent cap hit, and Canadian Tire is viewed as a primary actor in it, then they just bought a lot of good will and customer support.

I'd say there is a good chance all the big market teams can find some 'boosters' in their cities willing to chip in on paying a big named player to come to their town.

It might not be as profitable to them as this potential deal. but it can def. happen in a 5-10 cities throughout the league.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Boom.....

Where's the boom on that? What company offers an endorsement deal to benefit the team. They, if offering, are doing it because they believe it's in their best interests and would seem they believe a Toronto Maple Leaf Stamkos is worth more than a Stamkos playing for another team.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company expressing their desires. That rule seems more to apply of the team going out and recruiting a team to endorse a player and I highly doubt Stamkos needs their help at it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll be booing him loudly if he gets an endorsement that means the end of Gary.

"Umm Steve, there is one thing about your salary....."

OB-SX680_CANTIR_G_20120510160825.jpg

Waiting on Stamkos to do push ups using Canadian Tire money. :sarcasm:

1297637163933_ORIGINAL.jpg

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I love how all the fans are claiming cap circumvention when every city that he could sign with would be able to offer him endorsement deals. Just not as much/many as in TO. If making a player aware of what endorsement deals could potentially be had without discussing actual numbers then every team to meet with Stamkos(I don't think anyone has yet) would get hit with a cap circumvention charge.

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
The real story out of this is that Toronto Maple Leafs sponsor has been leaked for future Jersey logo and it's Canadian Tire. That red with the blue I don't think i am feeling it maybe I need to see a sample.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No it's not...

You don't think Nike offers basketball players more if they go to NY or LA?

Canadian Tire has nothing to do with MLSE.

They probably do, but it doesn't come with the idea of lowering their caphit.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If this type of thing happens and it's accepted, what's stopping for example the Ilitches from saying "sign in Detroit and Little Ceasars will give you an X million dollar sponsorship"?

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
The Canadian Tire CEO is not a team actor though, which is perhaps why he's there.

By the Leafs bringing him to the meeting he might be considered a team actor. Tricky legal situation with that. Bringing him to the meeting seems nonsensical, you know that there will be an issue with the league, Stamkos knows he will get sponsorship deals if he's in Toronto, why take the chance that it might be offside?

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
They probably do, but it doesn't come with the idea of lowering their caphit.

Who says anything about a reduced cap hit? Maybe they are covering up for the fact that they would have to pay him an extra $1.4m per year to keep parity with Tampa's offer.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Canadian tire and sportchek have their own business with stamkos. It's nothing new. Just because they're discussing it while stamkos is visiting Canada doesn't mean the leafs are tampering. :naughty:

Why bring him into the meeting. Stamkos and his agent can meet with the CT CEO at any time, by him being at the meeting it opens up a can of worms.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If this type of thing happens and it's accepted, what's stopping for example the Ilitches from saying "sign in Detroit and Little Ceasars will give you an X million dollar sponsorship"?

This. This is a bad trend for the NHL to allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille