TSN: Stamkos meeting with leafs, Toronto mayor, and CEO of Canadian tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
This. This is a bad trend for the NHL to allow.

There not even the same thing. Ilitch owns the the Wings, and he owns Little Ceasers.
Canadian Tire has nothing to do with the Leafs.

The Leafs hired Brandon Pridham from the NHL office's specifically for salary cap analysis AND CBA interpretation. This kind of thing is quite literally in his job description. While it may appear to be cap circumvention to fans, the Leafs have smarter people then me, and most likely you, working for them.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
There not even the same thing. Ilitch owns the the Wings, and he owns Little Ceasers.

The Leafs hired Brandon Pridham from the NHL office's specifically for salary cap analysis AND CBA interpretation. This kind of thing is quite literally in his job description. While it may appear to be cap circumvention to fans, the Leafs have smarter people then me, and most likely you, working for them.

Are they technically considered smarter if they don't have anything to show for it?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

So why is the Canadian Tire CEO involved in this meeting if it's not to signal to Stamkos that there's more money coming his way than the actual offer?

And yes, it's a bad trend to allow if the NHL cares about parity. This opens the door for larger market teams to offer money beyond the cap to players, which is cap circumvention.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
With all the bad contracts that have been signed with Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc I don't give two ****s!

Florida has zero income tax, Ontario has 53%.

Teams are still trading Pronger and Savards contracts around so go suck on sour grapes somewhere else.

It's about time MLSE management got smart and found a way even up the odds!!!

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Ah yes because having more money than every other team is definitely not even. You guys would be able to pay the coyotes cap

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

But, if its true, 29 of the leagues owners, Gary Bettman's bosses, will raise hell.

It gives big market teams a clear advantage over other markets. You don't think NYR couldn't line up 15 sponsors for him? What about the LA teams?

It creates a competitive imbalance when it comes to recruiting players beyond just rich teams vs poor teams.

So, if he ends up signing in Toronto and then gets a sponsorship deal with Canadian tire later this summer, I guarantee you the owners will be lighting up Gary's phone.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If an offer of a sponsorship was part of their pitch to come to Toronto, it absolutely does.

"Hey, here's our contract offer. Now go talk to this fella from Canadian Tire"

"Oh hey Steve, if you sign in Toronto, we will also give you this bag of money"

Yeah, that's cap circumvention.

Not when he already has a deal with them. They could simply be explaining how they would market him further based on his existing deal.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
seems like some shady dealings going on. Why bring the CEO of a major company to a meeting? Smells like cap circumvention.

Quite frankly the way that TSN fawns over Stamkos to the leafs doesn't seem right to me either, they are part owners of the Leafs.

Smells like someone who hasn't read the thread.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Lol all you guys complaining about ethics need to take a breath. There is nothing illegal about this and it about time this organization flexed its financial big market muscle to attract FAs. Sure other teams may hate us and this loophole may be closed, but we are not in the wrong for trying this.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I figured Toronto would try this. If the Leafs are allowed to do this, there will be no salary cap. Bettman may want to prop up the Toronto franchise but he should see the danger of this to his cherished hard cap. It will no longer exist.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Dreger: MLSE employee
McKenize: MLSE employee
Simmons: Not technically MLSE employee
Mirtle: Not really an insider

Seems like if you're trying to avoid tampering allegations, you should get your employees to not perpetuate the storyline of Stamkos heading to Toronto

Since when do those guys work for MLSE? They work for completely different entities that are owned by MSLE ownership but they do not take direction from MLSE nor does MLSE compensate them in any way.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
So why is the Canadian Tire CEO involved in this meeting if it's not to signal to Stamkos that there's more money coming his way than the actual offer?

And yes, it's a bad trend to allow if the NHL cares about parity. This opens the door for larger market teams to offer money beyond the cap to players, which is cap circumvention.

Yeah!!! This kind of crap is exactly why the Leafs have been so dominant for decades.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I highly doubt they were in the same meeting. All the post said was he was meeting with MLSE and the Mayor and he also had a meeting with the CEO of Canadian Tire. Separate meetings.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
But, if its true, 29 of the leagues owners, Gary Bettman's bosses, will raise hell.

It gives big market teams a clear advantage over other markets. You don't think NYR couldn't line up 15 sponsors for him? What about the LA teams?

It creates a competitive imbalance when it comes to recruiting players beyond just rich teams vs poor teams.

So, if he ends up signing in Toronto and then gets a sponsorship deal with Canadian tire later this summer, I guarantee you the owners will be lighting up Gary's phone.

It's not a question of rich vs. poor owners, it's a question of the amount of exposure a market will give a player. If you're paying a guy millions of dollars to promote your brand, you'd want him to be on TV and in the public eye as much as realistically possible no?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lol all you guys complaining about ethics need to take a breath. There is nothing illegal about this and it about time this organization flexed its financial big market muscle to attract FAs. Sure other teams may hate us and this loophole may be closed, but we are not in the wrong for trying this.

It's not a loophole. It's just a violation that the league may or may not choose to overlook.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Lucic in Edmonton walking the shiny new arena, and we're talking cap circumvention with a player meeting his sponsors in TO. Game on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->