Stalberg

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Stalberg with Wilson looked fantastic last night. Stalberg definitely has the wheels. Had a goal, hit a post, and had a breakaway but didn't score. He's playing better lately no doubt. Hopefully he keeps it up. He is not a grinder and shouldn't be played as one.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Stalberg with Wilson looked fantastic last night. Stalberg definitely has the wheels. Had a goal, hit a post, and had a breakaway but didn't score. He's playing better lately no doubt. Hopefully he keeps it up. He is not a grinder and shouldn't be played as one.

Had his stick not broken he may have scored on the breakaway. His stick had to have a crack in it before that because he didn't wind up for a hard shot. It just broke in two.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Simple question: did the off-season injury affect him this much, or is there something in Nashville's system he does not fit into? Or does he simply suck?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Simple question: did the off-season injury affect him this much, or is there something in Nashville's system he does not fit into? Or does he simply suck?

I really think it is a system issue more than anything. His speed is amazing but he lacks finish. He could turn it around I guess but I honestly see him being moved eventually.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
I honestly believe Stalberg has the talent to be an exceptional player in the NHL. I would love to see him actually get a REAL chance to see if he can realize that talent. As long as he plays in Trotz's system he will never get the chance to succeed. I can only hope that someday soon the organization will get a head coach with a different outlook and start to put lines together (and keep them together) that make offensive sense. My big fear is that we will keep Trotz and his system and ruin some of the potential fine young offensive talent we have coming up. It sickens me every time I see us playing some team with a 19 or 20 year old rookie with 15 plus goals already.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I honestly believe Stalberg has the talent to be an exceptional player in the NHL. I would love to see him actually get a REAL chance to see if he can realize that talent. As long as he plays in Trotz's system he will never get the chance to succeed. I can only hope that someday soon the organization will get a head coach with a different outlook and start to put lines together (and keep them together) that make offensive sense. My big fear is that we will keep Trotz and his system and ruin some of the potential fine young offensive talent we have coming up. It sickens me every time I see us playing some team with a 19 or 20 year old rookie with 15 plus goals already.

THIS! :handclap:

I don't think it will do us any good to get a top 6 or two and then put them in Trotz's system of Defense first, second and then D&C offense.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
i completely agree with the two previous posts. i was such an advocate for getting stalberg because his offensive potential seems endless. he does need to work on the finish. his speed breaks him away from almost anyone in the league and a line of stalberg-cullen-smith could be very devastating speed wise to other defenses in the league.

the problem seems to me that anytime it seems stalberg is getting close to being comfortable or "fitting in" with the system trotz switches up lines again. Stalberg is a guy that needs consistency and consitent line mates. Developing chemistry. He is one of those players that focuses and strides on the offensive side and that only. He's got good size but he's simply not a defensive player. you'd think with the entire rest of the team focusing on defense or being thrown into trotz's dog house if they don't, he'd let one guy focus on being offensively productive, but such isn't the case.

As sad as it is for me to say this, i want stalberg to succeed and reach his ceiling, he isn't going to do it here, atleast, not with trotz behind the bench. it was a good signing in hindsight, i'm sure they thought, ok best offensive guy available maybe he can plug the scoring woe problem until we figure out another move for another offensive minded guy but that has not been the case bcuz he has been limited by the system. i don't want to entirely blame the system or trotz for the upsetting numbers stalberg has posted thus far, as his finishing ability if improved could have potted him probably5-7 more goals so far this year but to me he's not getting a fair shake of opportunities. When you consistenly play him with goose, clune, hendricks, and nystrom it's just not going to work. he needs to be with FF9, Smith, Cullen, Fisher, and Wilson. And whatever line is chosen, needs to stick for a number of games, not just one and then changed because it didn't produce in the given sample size. This is what's most frustrating about the Stalberg situation to me.

and on the topic of other rookies with 10+ goals on the season already, it is frustrating as well. not only could we have had some of that talent (no knock on Jones, as he has been brilliant thus far) but it's extra goal scoring that could have been helping our offensive performances. Hertl, Nischukin, Monahan, even Olli Maata (though i believe jones is far better at this point). Just saying, those are some of the guys we could have had at 4. Other side of it though is the question, how do you pass up Jones and foresee any of those guys taken behind us having double digit goal totals thus far, with the exclusion of Maata.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Seems if a guy hasn't gotten a chance to prove he's a talented player by the time he's 28, it's probably not going to happen for him. If Stalberg wants it, whether it's in Nashville or elsewhere, he's going to need to go out of his way to justify that opportunity. Haven't seen anything in his game to change my impression of him as a glorified 3rd liner with brief flashes of being something more, unfortunately.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Seems if a guy hasn't gotten a chance to prove he's a talented player by the time he's 28, it's probably not going to happen for him. If Stalberg wants it, whether it's in Nashville or elsewhere, he's going to need to go out of his way to justify that opportunity.

true, but the majority of his time in CHI he was stuck behind sharp, toews, kane, hossa and others. here he's with our gritty grinders....

do agree though, he's gotta go get it.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

Go back to the comments from Blackhawk fans when he was benched during the playoffs. I guess it's Trotz's fault that he struggled in Chicago too. I think it's time for a coaching change in Nashville, but blaming every player's shortcomings on Trotz is ridiculous.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
true, but the majority of his time in CHI he was stuck behind sharp, toews, kane, hossa and others. here he's with our gritty grinders....

do agree though, he's gotta go get it.

Yeah. Their depth was part of the reason I felt he was as successful with the Hawks as he was. Was getting scratched during the playoffs though...I don't know, if you can't get geeked up to put in a 100% work level and game for a team like that... :shakehead

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
The reason Stalberg isn't doing well is because he sometimes plays with two guys that have scored more goals than him? :huh:

It's all Trotz's fault. Even Rinne's hip infection. Under another system, Pekka wouldn't have contracted the hip infection by straining himself time and time again making saves he wouldn't have had to make.

Thanks Trotz for ruining Stalberg's career AND Pekka's hip socket!!!!

TROTZ
TROTZ
TROTZ...

YOU SUCK!!

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
When he has scored points this month, he's been on the ice with some combination of Cullen, Legwand, Fisher, Bourque, or Wilson ... with one additional secondary assist on Gaustad's goal vs Anaheim. For all of his speed, it isn't translating to points for him.

Where he's been invisible from a scoring perspective is when skating on a truly 4th line. He's getting no PP time ... less than ten minutes of PP TOI for the season. It's a catch-22 for him, he needs to start generating to move up a couple lines but he needs to move up a couple lines to generate ... although he didn't when given chances earlier in the season.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
The reason Stalberg isn't doing well is because he sometimes plays with two guys that have scored more goals than him? :huh:

Yeah those deflections and rebound tip in goals are fabulous. I will be shocked if they don't make the all star roster in the West.

Hell if we ever get Stamkos i hope Trotz puts him with them. It will be a great fit and i am sure Stamkos career will explode.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
the "player X can't score because Trotz has him on a line with crappy players" is the lamest, weakest, most specious argument put forth on these boards

While having less talented line mates may statistically reduce a players time in the offensive zone, and may offer a few less chances than if he happened to be on a line with a real star, the fact is that a player who can finish will find a way to score some goals. I could see it being an excuse if Stalberg was on pace to score 15-18 instead of 20-22 goals… that is the kind of difference you can blame on line mates… But Stalberg is going to have to get his butt in gear if he wants to crack double digits in goals this season…. right now we are looking at half a million dollars per goal..

Stalberg has speed and has used that speed to get himself chances to score. It appears to me he is just not much of a finisher. Maybe, like Smith, with time he will learn how to put pucks past NHL goalies on a more regular basis. If so, he will undoubtedly get more time on a higher line.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Line Chemistry, line combinations, and being put into a position to improve and succeed are a big part of hockey. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.
You cannot play a team sport like hockey and do it all on your own and just make something happen.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Line Chemistry, line combinations, and being put into a position to improve and succeed are a big part of hockey. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.
You cannot play a team sport like hockey and do it all on your own and just make something happen.
You also can't play a team sport and expect to be placed into your ideal perfect situation for any length of time. Lines and linemates are constantly shuffled, and production is expected regardless of who you are paired with. Guys like Spaling, Nystrom, and Goose have been putting up goals regardless of their situation, while the more-talented Stalberg, Wilson, Bourque, and Cullen have all failed to. Sure, you can dismiss their production as ugly, grinding, garbage goals, yet they have had enough success with it to make you wonder why the hell the latter four aren't sticking their ***** in front of the net and doing the same.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

Matt Halischuk scored 15 goals playing with our then version of Goose and Clune, or perhaps it was more like Goose and Hendricks. When he got opportunities to fill on the 3rd line he took advantage of them. Stalberg simply isn't doing anything except skating fast around people.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
the "player X can't score because Trotz has him on a line with crappy players" is the lamest, weakest, most specious argument put forth on these boards

While having less talented line mates may statistically reduce a players time in the offensive zone, and may offer a few less chances than if he happened to be on a line with a real star, the fact is that a player who can finish will find a way to score some goals. I could see it being an excuse if Stalberg was on pace to score 15-18 instead of 20-22 goals… that is the kind of difference you can blame on line mates… But Stalberg is going to have to get his butt in gear if he wants to crack double digits in goals this season…. right now we are looking at half a million dollars per goal..

Stalberg has speed and has used that speed to get himself chances to score. It appears to me he is just not much of a finisher. Maybe, like Smith, with time he will learn how to put pucks past NHL goalies on a more regular basis. If so, he will undoubtedly get more time on a higher line.

Doubt it. Stalberg has been in the NHL for quite a while. He has wheels but doesn't have the sniper mentality. Smith puts himself in positions to score and can bury the puck. His shot on Luongo last week was a perfect shot, not powerful but perfect placement. You can't teach that, it's an instinct more than anything. While Stalberg has the best wheels on the team, a lot of his chances are coming off the wing and he has nothing to shoot at once he gets by the defenseman because he's taken himself out of any good shooting option and he's not enough of a bull to take the puck to the net and bury it. He also doesn't possess a great release or shot for that matter and that doesn't help matters.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Doubt it. Stalberg has been in the NHL for quite a while. He has wheels but doesn't have the sniper mentality. Smith puts himself in positions to score and can bury the puck. His shot on Luongo last week was a perfect shot, not powerful but perfect placement. You can't teach that, it's an instinct more than anything. While Stalberg has the best wheels on the team, a lot of his chances are coming off the wing and he has nothing to shoot at once he gets by the defenseman because he's taken himself out of any good shooting option and he's not enough of a bull to take the puck to the net and bury it. He also doesn't possess a great release or shot for that matter and that doesn't help matters.
Yes, and he doesn't have a sniper's shot either. He will occasionally fire off a wicked wrister that will take a goalie by surprise, but he's not consistent enough with it to be a reliable threat. He's also a whopping 8.7% shooter for his career... :(

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
i completely agree with the two previous posts. i was such an advocate for getting stalberg because his offensive potential seems endless. he does need to work on the finish. his speed breaks him away from almost anyone in the league and a line of stalberg-cullen-smith could be very devastating speed wise to other defenses in the league.

the problem seems to me that anytime it seems stalberg is getting close to being comfortable or "fitting in" with the system trotz switches up lines again. Stalberg is a guy that needs consistency and consitent line mates. Developing chemistry. He is one of those players that focuses and strides on the offensive side and that only. He's got good size but he's simply not a defensive player. you'd think with the entire rest of the team focusing on defense or being thrown into trotz's dog house if they don't, he'd let one guy focus on being offensively productive, but such isn't the case.

As sad as it is for me to say this, i want stalberg to succeed and reach his ceiling, he isn't going to do it here, atleast, not with trotz behind the bench. it was a good signing in hindsight, i'm sure they thought, ok best offensive guy available maybe he can plug the scoring woe problem until we figure out another move for another offensive minded guy but that has not been the case bcuz he has been limited by the system. i don't want to entirely blame the system or trotz for the upsetting numbers stalberg has posted thus far, as his finishing ability if improved could have potted him probably5-7 more goals so far this year but to me he's not getting a fair shake of opportunities. When you consistenly play him with goose, clune, hendricks, and nystrom it's just not going to work. he needs to be with FF9, Smith, Cullen, Fisher, and Wilson. And whatever line is chosen, needs to stick for a number of games, not just one and then changed because it didn't produce in the given sample size. This is what's most frustrating about the Stalberg situation to me.

and on the topic of other rookies with 10+ goals on the season already, it is frustrating as well. not only could we have had some of that talent (no knock on Jones, as he has been brilliant thus far) but it's extra goal scoring that could have been helping our offensive performances. Hertl, Nischukin, Monahan, even Olli Maata (though i believe jones is far better at this point). Just saying, those are some of the guys we could have had at 4. Other side of it though is the question, how do you pass up Jones and foresee any of those guys taken behind us having double digit goal totals thus far, with the exclusion of Maata.
This times 10. And as frustrating as it is for us to see that, imagine how frustrating it has to be for him. Much less the fact that he left one of the best-run teams in the league and now is playing for a coach that changes lines more frequently than he uses the restroom.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
This times 10. And as frustrating as it is for us to see that, imagine how frustrating it has to be for him. Much less the fact that he left one of the best-run teams in the league and now is playing for a coach that changes lines more frequently than he uses the restroom.

Hey it doesn't matter Matt Halischuck who was so good he is no longer with the Predators could score with anyone no matter the line. Spaling is getting it done as well. I mean both of those guys are just like Stalberg and are good at playing the exact same game it's just puzzling how a guy coming from Chicago system cannot get it done switching lines and playing with overpaid grinders and tipers under Trotz system and dog house tactics. I mean why does Trotz tactic not work with everyone? It should right? because every player is just like Stalberg and should just get it done with limited minutes and a being put into a grinder role.

I am sure that would work out well with every FA in the NHL and it is just Stalberg who cannot produce with limited minutes, constant line shakeups, and playing with guys who compliment him as much as Miley Cyrus latest bear outfit complimented her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad