Stalberg

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
It's way too soon to make a judgement. I want to see what he does in the Preds system over 20 - 30 games. I hear that everyone on a NHL roster has the skill to produce, but the consistent players separate themselves.

It's been said that Stalberg wasn't consistent in Chicago. But he's playing in a different system with lower thresholds for success. He won't be compared to the likes of Toews, Kane, or Hossa while wearing a Preds jersey.

Ask the question again in November. We'll know what we have by then.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It's way too soon to make a judgement. I want to see what he does in the Preds system over 20 - 30 games. I hear that everyone on a NHL roster has the skill to produce, but the consistent players separate themselves.

It's been said that Stalberg wasn't consistent in Chicago. But he's playing in a different system with lower thresholds for success. He won't be compared to the likes of Toews, Kane, or Hossa while wearing a Preds jersey.

Ask the question again in November. We'll know what we have by then.

I heard the same thing from a few people but I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think he's the type of player that can really bust out of his shell when he doesn't happen to be bogged down behind some of the best forwards in the league. I usually don't get too hyped up for new guys but I have a gut feeling that this could end up being a huge signing for us. His speed is undeniable, and when you think of him and Wilson on a line together going forward.....yeah. I'll take that.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I was a proponent of going after Staalberg. After paying more attention to him during the playoff run, I was less enthused. I feel like good players will find a way to shine, regardless of their line-- we see it almost every year in the playoffs. Sure there is some top-end talent in Chicago but there are a lot of other guys that beat him out of a roster spot when it mattered most.

That being said, given the options in FA and our lack of forward skill, I'd say it's worth the risk for the Predators.

Now all other signing... just terrible. The $$$ and years for 30+ yr old 3rd/4th liners is just ludicrous.

It's disheartening to think that we are near the cap, yet still have quite possible have the worst group of forwards in the NHL. Poile has really screwed the pooch the last 2 years with signings like Cullen, Gill, Gaustad, Hendricks, Nystrom, while still having the same talent-void up front.

I think it's entirely possible that we have the most expensive group of 3rd/4th liners in the history of the NHL.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Dulz, I agree with everything you said except the Cullen signing. If you look at his production his salary and contract were warranted.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Given his career highs are only 22 goals and 43 points, I project similar output for this coming season. I'd be happy with him scoring somewhere between 40-45 points, with hopefully 20 goals. Given the increase in ice time both even strength and on the powerplay, I would not be surprised if he hit 50 points at some point during his 4 year deal. Anything more than that though seems unrealistic at this point.

45 points should be about right. His biggest problems are his lack of finish and unimaginative passing. He'll get more breakaways and develop more odd man rushes than anyone else on your team but rarely score on them or set up a goal.

But, he has improved every year he's been in the league, his 43 point season was when he spent 90% of the year playing with Toews and Kane, so he's probably ready for that kind of production with lesser linemates.

On a side note, what kind of production, minutes, are you expecting out of Kevin Klein?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
he will. He looks a bit better game by game. Last night he had some PP time and played some shifts with teh skilled players rather than the grinders on the Gaustad line. As he gets more accustomed to playing for Trotz and continues to buy into the Predator way, he should find himself in a top 6 role.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Stalberg was getting less TOI then when he was in Chicago. He got more last night but even then he was playing with Nystrom and Spaling. Fisher was skating today so hopefully he'll be back tomorrow or Saturday and put him with Stalberg and Forsberg and maybe Stalberg can actually produce something.

otothsan

Feb 16, 2012
Well aside from your 1 & 2 there's not much there. Liles is actually a decent player and I wish they would play him. This would be a contract swap. Could add a prospect with offensive potential if need be

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Well aside from your 1 & 2 there's not much there. Liles is actually a decent player and I wish they would play him. This would be a contract swap. Could add a prospect with offensive potential if need be

ummm... weber, josi, jones, klein, even ekholm... not much there?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I would take Ekholm over Liles let alone Jones or Klein. He would probably be an upgrade over Bartley but why would we want to pay that much for a 7th or 8th d-man...

agree. I would take out entire top 7 over Liles right now. We give Ellis and Bartley grief, but they are playing well in protected roles and played well in Montreal and Winnipeg on the road.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Cooper retweeted this.

Nick Cole @ncole6 said:
Stalberg says healthy scratch last night was "embarrassing". Said coaching staff is looking for him to play a different way.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If the scratching embarrassed him, there is hope. Sometimes a kick to one's pride gets them moving forward. Now to see how he reacts to the hit. He needs to play a 200 foot game ... or at least a 125 foot game ... he needs to rectify something I noted a couple days ago:

What I'm least impressed with from Stalberg so far is his play in the defensive end. He's floating when pucks are coming loose and our d-men are still tangled along the boards. It looks like he's waiting for a pass from a player in no position to make it rather than collecting the puck and starting the play back up ice himself.

Last edited:

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I would hope Stalberg and the powers to be had a talk about how they would expect him to play before he signed with the Preds. It's comical how Trotz has used him so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad