Speculation: Staios no longer with Oilers, rumoured to join Sens org

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
All of you who are expecting Audlauer to fire Dorion will be disappointed, he's not gonna fire the GM two weeks from the start of the training camp. Now if the Sens have a poor start of the season again then the coach and GM should be replaced but right now is not the right time.

Reactions: guyzeur

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
There you go again putting words in my mouth, that I never posted….
Show anything in my post that remotely resembles the claims you’ve made….

Just because someone does not blindly share your negative and hate filled opinion on PD, then they must me a 100% complete supporter of PD.

PD has made his fair share of good decisions, bad decisions and gambles… some worked out better that others… he is not the Best GM in the NHL, nor Is he the absolute worst… be is somewhere in the mushy middle.

My point was, the point you completely missed or did not comprehend, was that Andlauer has not shown to make impulsive snap decisions in the past, and doubt he is going to once he takes control of the Senators as majority owner.
I agree with you, Dorion has done a pretty job rebuilding the Sens, he's made some mistake but all GMs make mistakes, some posters here just can't give the man credit for anything, and I agree the new owner is not going to fire every one on his first day as owner of the franchise this is not a video game!!!

Reactions: swiftwin

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I look forward to this organization looking outside for a GM for the first time in over two decades.

We only ever got two internal promotions during Melnyk's entire tenure, the second of which studied under the first.

Either way, at least whoever is in that seat, Dorion or otherwise, won't be dealing with a raging lunatic for an owner. Pretty clear Dorion isn't operating a team that's constantly handicapped anymore.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Firing the GM now when most of his job is done might not be the best time as there aren't many good candidate out there.

Maybe Staois comes in as a green GM And they hire a vet as the POHO to guide the way. Seems like what a lot of teams do no a days

That’s what the Habs did when Andlauer was an owner there - also hired Bergenvon who was green without a POHO so not unprecedented

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Again, I will correct you, Andlauer did not lay out 1 Billion dollars for the franchise, he will own at least 51% as the Majority owner, with the rest divided up between the minority owners.

Nothing in his past indicates he will be the type of owner that on day one, as the poster suggested, will start firing and replacing personal. Also, he will be the type of majority owner that will consult the minority owners, to have them all on the same page, whenever a big managerial move is made.

I am of the belief he already knows what management structure and personal he would like to have in place, at the appropriate time…. And will get to know the current management personal before making any drastic moves, as was suggested by the poster I responded to.

Just to correct your post here, he could own 50.000000001% and he’d still be the majority owner.

Reactions: bert

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Just to correct your post here, he could own 50.000000001% and he’d still be the majority owner.
So you admit that he did NOT “just pay I Billion dollars” for the Sens…
.…………………………..I accept your apology
1692829975355.gif

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Yeah a terrible lesson I hope he learned from…

Under Marc Bergevin, the Habs had a .625 pts% and made the CF and SCF.

In 5 of 9 seasons they finished with (or played at a pace of) more than 100 pts.

Not that terrible...

For reference, this franchise hasn't finished a season with 100+ pts since 2006/07. That's 16 years ago. John Muckler was the GM.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

In 5 of 9 seasons they finished with (or played at a pace of) more than 100 pts.

Not that terrible...

For reference, this franchise hasn't finished a season with 100+ pts since 2006/07. That's 16 years ago. John Muckler was the GM.
I’m less concerned with mediocre points percentages and a couple of improbably runs. I’m much more concerned with the massive blunders at he draft and trade table when the team needed a boost most.

Just a classic example of a guy who just couldn’t capitalize on his good moves due a subsequent terrible move.

No thank you. I’d prefer something different. We have an awesome core and the wins and win percentage will come no matter who is at the helm, unless they are known to make some pretty brutal moves.

Bergy has some Milbury in him in my opinion. I’m cool if you’re cool with him though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Firing the GM now when most of his job is done might not be the best time as there aren't many good candidate out there.

Maybe Staois comes in as a green GM And they hire a vet as the POHO to guide the way. Seems like what a lot of teams do no a days
Maybe Alfredsson becomes GM with a older retired former GM becoming the special advisor to the GM.

Or vice versa to ease and develop Alfredsson into the GM role.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Not that terrible...

That's pretty shocking.

For the record I think Bergevin wasn't a top tier GM by any means but definitely wasn't as bad as Habs fans made him out to be.

He was really let down by Trevor Timmins and his scouting staff, but his trades/signings weren't all that bad.

Reactions: Bileur

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Your point was Pierre Dorion doesn’t deserved to be fired because “he’s done nothing wrong” but show me what he’s done right because that’s what keep you working
Poster never said anything like that, you made that up.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There you go again putting words in my mouth, that I never posted….
Show anything in my post that remotely resembles the claims you’ve made….

Just because someone does not blindly share your negative and hate filled opinion on PD, then they must me a 100% complete supporter of PD.

PD has made his fair share of good decisions, bad decisions and gambles… some worked out better that others… he is not the Best GM in the NHL, nor Is he the absolute worst… be is somewhere in the mushy middle.

My point was, the point you completely missed or did not comprehend, was that Andlauer has not shown to make impulsive snap decisions in the past, and doubt he is going to once he takes control of the Senators as majority owner.

He absolutely is the worst GM in the league now. Not because he's been the worst GM in the league over the last 7 years but because other teams actually have accountability and the guys objectively worse at the job than him (Benning, Chiarelli, Bowman, Fletcher, etc...) have all been fired.

Saying he's made some good and bad moves is the laziest analysis there is. Of course he's done some good and some bad - even the best GMs in this league make mistakes and even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion. If you analyze his tenure and his moves as a whole, which I and several others have done, there's no question he's done far more harm to this franchise than good.

The article you posted makes this abundantly clear. The 3rd best trade listed for Dorion is the DeBrincat trade, which was a shortsighted gamble that ended up blowing up in his face. The 4th best trade is the Dzingel return, which was good but the assets (Duclair, 2nd, 2nd) were eventually pissed away by letting Duclair walk and trading the 2nds for Murray and Stepan. The 5th best trade is Dorion simply getting fair market value for Brassard, which wouldn't normally be considered a top 5 trade by a GM who's been in the job for as long as he has. That's an embarrassing list of "best trades" and says all you need to know about his tenure.

Reactions: Bileur and Xspyrit

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Not that terrible...

How much credit should Bergevin get for that though? Did he draft Price, Subban, Gallagher?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Do you think that was Andlauer and not Molson?

Molson took ownership of it but Andlauer has seen a franchise twice as big as Ottawa run by 1 man - Molson brought in Gordon and a new GM because he said the position is to big for one man, but going with the idea Andlauer has seen a massive franchise run by a new GM/President and run well. Habs we’re massively profitable under Bergevin, they just didn’t win enoguh

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He absolutely is the worst GM in the league now. Not because he's been the worst GM in the league over the last 7 years but because other teams actually have accountability and the guys objectively worse at the job than him (Benning, Chiarelli, Bowman, Fletcher, etc...) have all been fired.

Saying he's made some good and bad moves is the laziest analysis there is. Of course he's done some good and some bad - even the best GMs in this league make mistakes and even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion. If you analyze his tenure and his moves as a whole, which I and several others have done, there's no question he's done far more harm to this franchise than good.

The article you posted makes this abundantly clear. The 3rd best trade listed for Dorion is the DeBrincat trade, which was a shortsighted gamble that ended up blowing up in his face. The 4th best trade is the Dzingel return, which was good but the assets (Duclair, 2nd, 2nd) were eventually pissed away by letting Duclair walk and trading the 2nds for Murray and Stepan. The 5th best trade is Dorion simply getting fair market value for Brassard, which wouldn't normally be considered a top 5 trade by a GM who's been in the job for as long as he has. That's an embarrassing list of "best trades" and says all you need to know about his tenure.
How do you evaluate a GM, by individual moves in a vacuum, or by the end results of their labour? Most people evaluate trades based on the assets exchanged, but ignore the constraints that led to them. How many of Dorion's trades were constrained by the teams payroll? How many were constrained by players wanting out and choosing their destination? How many moves were constrained by NTC blocking a target? I think his biggest fault has been having too much players would integrate into the team, Duchene and DeBrincat trades weren't bad value, and both could have become long term core pieces. With the constraints he had in place, the oppportunity to land guys of that caliber wasn't something he could count on later down the road, so he took the risk.

If the team assembled, with Stu, Tkachuk, Sanderson, Norris, Chychrun and Chabot as the core, ends up succeeding and becomes a contender, or better yet wins the cup, what does that mean to the legacy of Dorion?

I haven't been a huge fan of the moves Dorion made over the years, but I think the place he's gotten us to right now is pretty promising. He's certainly done better in that regard than a lot of other GMs over the years.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If Dorion was going to be fired on day 1, he probably wouldn’t be here right now, no? I don’t think the board would put their foot down on that…

Dorion is a dead man walking but I can’t see it happening right away.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
you’re crazy…….doubt very much that the first thing the new owner is going to do, once he is handed the keys to the franchise, is to kick the GM to the curb, without cause. ….. It’s not his style, and would not make a good, first impression

He may very well bring in “his guy” Staois, in some capacity… and he will be the the GM in waiting, if he isn’t named POHO.

Yes the clock is running on both DJS and PD, and doubt very much if either is offered a contract extension anytime soon.

View attachment 737817
No. Been a part of many M&A's.

There are three things you do with existing Senior Management.

Keepers: Give them big retention bonuses and bring them onside.

Key people you need to stay but are unlikely to be part of long term plan(their choice): Give them large performance related "earn out" contracts for a set duration.

People you will not be going forward with: Offer them the opportunity to "resign" and give them a handshake - immediately.

There are of course exceptions but Pierre would be in my "don't let the door hit you on the way out" group.

There are people you want and people you need - Pierre is neither and nothing good will come of him staying 5 minutes more than necessary.

you’re crazy…….doubt very much that the first thing the new owner is going to do, once he is handed the keys to the franchise, is to kick the GM to the curb, without cause. ….. It’s not his style, and would not make a good, first impression

He may very well bring in “his guy” Staois, in some capacity… and he will be the the GM in waiting, if he isn’t named POHO.

Yes the clock is running on both DJS and PD, and doubt very much if either is offered a contract extension anytime soon.

View attachment 737817
No. Been a part of many M&A's.

There are three things you do with existing Senior Management.

Keepers: Give them big retention bonuses and bring them onside.

Key people you need to stay but are unlikely to be part of long term plan(their choice): Give them large performance related "earn out" contracts for a set duration.

People you will not be going forward with: Offer them the opportunity to "resign" and give them a handshake - immediately.

There are of course exceptions but Pierre would be in my "don't let the door hit you on the way out" group.

There are people you want and people you need - Pierre is neither and nothing good will come of him staying 5 minutes more than necessary

Reactions: Bileur and NB613

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There are people you want and people you need - Pierre is neither and nothing good will come of him staying 5 minutes more than necessary

So I guess you will start an anti Andlauer ( #AndlauerOut!) thread, 6 minutes after he officially become the Majority owner.

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Not that terrible...

Who did absolutely nothing but blow it from the time he took over. He did not build that team which is another reason I dont want Bergevin anywhere near this organization in that capacity. Marshall Johnston drafted and built that sens team through patience and understanding a small market and how to build a winner.

So I guess you will start an anti Andlauer ( #AndlauerOut!) thread, 6 minutes after he officially become the Majority owner.
This is an absolutely trolling post that should be deleted. We get it you love melnyk but these situations are nothing alike. Dorion is done here long term whether you like to acknowledge it or not. His track record in regards to how he treats others around him, cant work with others and is constantly paranoid is why he wont be around for long. Almost every time a new ownership group comes in they get their own people.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If Dorion was going to be fired on day 1, he probably wouldn’t be here right now, no? I don’t think the board would put their foot down on that…

Dorion is a dead man walking but I can’t see it happening right away.

Fair to say if Dorion was to be fired they would have done it and made someone like Bowness be interim GM during transition . He is definitely getting a shot under Andlauer but his invincibility from ass kissing an owner is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad