Confirmed with Link: Staal back on one year deal

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Yes, they will take a discount.
What part of flat-cap do you not understand?

It's take a discount or go to Europe.

Sam Gagner signed here for $850,000 after making $3,15M the year before.
Wat?

There being a flat cap is wholly irrelevant to this type of signing. It is for one year and even with a full roster we’re likely 8 digits away from needing space.

>”it’s take a discount or go to Europe”

This is just demonstrably untrue, seeing as Staal didn’t do either.

Again, I’m sure players and agents as a whole are smart enough to understand context. It’s not like this sets a precedence for our future stars when they start getting their non elc contracts in 2-4 years.

Staal being slightly overpaid hurts no one except a billionaire’s checkbook slightly. There is a very real possibility Yzerman thinks/knows that he won’t be able to get the quality of UFA he wants without overpaying. It’s why he traded an asset for Leddy; he wasn’t sure he could get a UFA on a contract good enough to fill the role he wants Leddy to this year.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
You do?
My thought was, if we had cap room and space for a UFA LD, I would have preferred trying for someone good - better than Staal.

THere's no reason to sign afterthoughts above market value before free agency begins.

I just don't see what's so newsyworthy about signing this guy that it should cause you so much stress.

$1.25M was where I had him. $1.5M was on the top end.
750,000 of $1.25M is 60 percent.

Marc Staal has been overpaid by millions of dollars a year for 3-4 years now.
It's crazy to me that Yzerman overpaid this guy.

f*** that.
Jason Spezza - a guy who actually produced - is playing for $800,000 in Toronto. And Marc Staal - a guy who should probably be looking for a job (hint - nobody cared about Staal at the trade deadline even if we ate 1/2 his salary), gets $2M and an NMC.

No f***ing shit he's glad to be back.
He just got paid.

Staal, or somebody better, would have been there in a week, willing to sign a sweetheart deal.

Spezza is playing for his hometown team for that price. He's older. He's a forward. I fail to see the newsyworthy comparison here.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You do?
My thought was, if we had cap room and space for a UFA LD, I would have preferred trying for someone good - better than Staal.

THere's no reason to sign afterthoughts above market value before free agency begins.

Oleksiak and Martinez are already signed.

What UFA LD are we going to use that cap space on??

Reactions: SoupNazi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
One. Not upset. Don't mistake sticking to your guns as "upset."
Two. Glendening is actually a valuable player who has demonstrated that value, over and over and over again for the Red Wings.
Evolving hockey pegs Glendening @ 4x$2.7M and Staal at 1x$1.27M

I think they're probably high on Glendening and right on the money on Staal..
Ok but when you say things like "f*** that" and "no f***ing shit" it comes off as upset.

Staal was one of our better Dmen last year (that's a sentence I never thought I'd type when we signed him). He's on a 1 year deal. And Evolving Hockey is a website making educated guesses. It is not the market. The market is often not rational.

The Wings have to spend $16 million more just to get to the cap floor. Who cares about an extra 500k? It's not our money. This in no way impacts their cap flexibility or ability to sign players.

As I said, I don't understand why this is a hill to die on.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
In light of the bubbling toxicity around the Cray-Cray time of year & all the "scawy" changes to our roster/mgmt. decisions...

I'm putting this here for anyone who may need it. Your mental health/well-being & discretion is our priority. Use is optional, but may be addictive, use at your own risk, ages 18+.

Capture1.PNG

Reactions: waltdetroit

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Oleksiak and Martinez are already signed.

What UFA LD are we going to use that cap space on??

Ask me 3-4 days after free agency starts, when guys of Staal's caliber are taking $800,000 just to stay in in the NHL.
But on day one of free agency, I'd look at Forbort.
I'd take a guy like Koekkok, too. Several guys I'd take over Staal who'd sign for less money.
Or, if I wanted an old guy, I'd look at Golikgoski or Suter or Chara.
There was no need to throw $2M at Staal.

Tell me your best argument for throwing $2M at Staal?
I guarantee you that you didn't even consider playing Staal more than $1,5M to stick around - let alone $2M + a NMC.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ok but when you say things like "f*** that" and "no f***ing shit" it comes off as upset.

Staal was one of our better Dmen last year (that's a sentence I never thought I'd type when we signed him). He's on a 1 year deal. And Evolving Hockey is a website making educated guesses. It is not the market. The market is often not rational.

The Wings have to spend $16 million more just to get to the cap floor. Who cares about an extra 500k? It's not our money. This in no way impacts their cap flexibility or ability to sign players.

As I said, I don't understand why this is a hill to die on.

Being emphatic is not being upset man.
This is not a hill. And I'm not dying.

I think it was a shitty signing.
And there's nothing anyone of you have said that even comes close to showing me how he;s worth the money,

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

And there's nothing anyone of you have said that even comes close to showing me how he;s worth the money,
Could it possibly be b/c you can't put a price on:

Org. fit & Mentorship for Mo, Filip "Don't Call Me JR" Hronek & Gus "Don't Call Me Nik" Lindstrom

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

He's an experienced defenseman who played well for the team last year and seemed to fit in well with the coaching system and environment. He's a known quantity on a 1-year deal. Bird in hand and whatnot. 500k overpayment. big deal.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Your clown corpse is cartwheeling down the slope at about 90mph at this point; paraphernalia detaching from your body like hilarious little projectiles, striking the rest of us in rapid succession. Lazlo took a bowling pin to the chest. Ricelund a shoe to the shin. Bench a rubber chicken to the throat. And poor Lil Sebastian is in critical condition after your mallet struck him in the face.

In short, your death on your hill is painful for all of us.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Your clown corpse is cartwheeling down the slope at about 90mph at this point; paraphernalia detaching from your body like hilarious little projectiles, striking the rest of us in rapid succession. Lazlo took a bowling pin to the chest. Ricelund a shoe to the shin. Bench a rubber chicken to the throat. And poor Lil Sebastian is in critical condition after your mallet struck him in the face.

"a rubber chicken to the throat" ...good one. :laugh:

Reactions: SoupNazi and Bench

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Half mast is too damn high. Show some god damn respect.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

Shh...careful, jaster, or he'll start calling you "jaster the disaster" again.

Regards,

SoupNasty

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's an experienced defenseman who played well for the team last year and seemed to fit in well with the coaching system and environment. He's a known quantity on a 1-year deal. Bird in hand and whatnot. 500k overpayment. big deal.

He played better than I thought - mostly.
But he didn't play well, IMO.
He just beat the expectations that came from all the Rangers' fans hate.
Regardless - I like the way he battles.
He's just not physically up to being an NHL defenseman some games. Too slow. And sometimes, just seems worn out.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Why do you want to go this far off topic? Just for more lying?

This thread is about the Staal signing. You're upset about it. Why? What move is the $750k you're whining about going to prevent us from making????

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This thread is about the Staal signing. You're upset about it. Why? What move is the $750k you're whining about going to prevent us from making????

He probably thinks it sets some bad precedent, the effect will snowball, and we'll be overpaying free agents into the next millennium because of it. Whatever explanation he can get his hands on.

Then again, I may just be lying :sarcasm:

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
He probably thinks it sets some bad precedent, the effect will snowball, and we'll be overpaying free agents into the next millennium because of it. Whatever explanation he can get his hands on.

Then again, I may just be lying :sarcasm:

Well, you've always been known for your dishonesty. :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, I just can't wrap my head around how this signing could be so upsetting to some people. Everything in the world to get upset about today, and this is the hill he chooses to die on.

Reactions: Bench and jaster

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

It's a shit deal.
And as shit deals go, it's minor.
So it's not upsetting.

I know you like to bully people into shutting up or submission when they go against homer opinion, but it ain't going to work, SoupNazi.
So you're wasting your breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad