Confirmed with Link: Staal back on one year deal

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
One guy. And now he's working the persecution complex, playing the victim, accusing people of trying to silence him :biglaugh:

Anyway, getting back on track.... the Staal contract is still not a big deal. Literally.

The worst thing is when you break it down he is a positive value player. He is signed to vet 3rd pairing D wages. But he routinely is deployed by us as the defensively responsible #4 of the second pairing. So you are at a net positive of +2-3 million this year in savings instead of paying a second pairing UFA 4-5.5m per year. It makes no sense. :ha:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Your clown corpse is cartwheeling down the slope at about 90mph at this point; paraphernalia detaching from your body like hilarious little projectiles, striking the rest of us in rapid succession. Lazlo took a bowling pin to the chest. Ricelund a shoe to the shin. Bench a rubber chicken to the throat. And poor Lil Sebastian is in critical condition after your mallet struck him in the face.

In short, your death on your hill is painful for all of us.

tenor.gif

Reactions: SoupNazi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But Detroit doesn't have to overpay in this market.
And if you step back and think about the flat cap and the market we're about to see, you'd realize that.

So much for using the cap space and the flat-cap market to our advantage.
You realize there's roster space for one more LHD and probably close to $20M cap space left over after re-signing the RFAs. If a deal that makes presents itself, Stevie is gonna jump on it. The thing is, the team has so many D prospects now it doesn't make sense to sign anyone to a long term UFA deal other than a legit 1C.

That being said, we'll probably get Brendan Smith at league min, lol.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This entire thread is a lot funnier from my perspective. When you can't see the person that everybody else is arguing with, the conversation looks like a marathon of this:

6ac.jpg

Reactions: mantha39

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It's a shit deal.
And as shit deals go, it's minor.
So it's not upsetting.

I know you like to bully people into shutting up or submission when they go against homer opinion, but it ain't going to work, SoupNazi.
So you're wasting your breath.
I'm not trying to bully anyone.

I'm simply saying that of all the things to get upset over, this is a waste of time. Be upset over the fact that we haven't won a playoff series in the better part of a decade, Newsy. Be upset over the fact that we've had a terrible team for years but haven't had enough luck for a 1OA pick, Newsy. But choosing to get your blood pressure up over Marc f***ing Staal just isn't something I understand.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Can a player even be considered overpaid when they are on their retirement death bed, have zero trade value, are on a one year deal, is taking up 5% of the currently available cap space, and is being paid using someone else's money?

Overpaid would imply that it carries a negative value in some capacity. His salary doesn't affect literally any single hockey-related item under the sun. It does likely take $700,000 out of the pockets of Chris Ilitch, but I'm not super concerned about the finances of a family that owns two sports franchises estimated to be worth north of $2,000,000,000 and a pizza franchise with estimated annual revenue of nearly $4,000,000,000, amongst other financial ventures. I feel the need to type out those numbers just for anyone who needs help understanding how insignificant the overpayment is.

If we are getting nitpicky over such an insignificant player/contract just comes across as being either jealous, or as a gatekeeper for someone else's money. Both of which are some of the more detestable traits that I can think of.

Reactions: jaster and SoupNazi

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Hated the signing at first but he grew on me last year. From my hometown, he's a solid guy to have around the dressing room. Actually good buddies with his cousin and was already jealous before.

Ask him what his plans are for a weekend and it was always Mark is flying me to New York to goto a game and hang with Rags. Now its looks like ill be spending some time in Detroit to hang with Lark and the boys. I hate him lol

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not trying to bully anyone.

I'm simply saying that of all the things to get upset over, this is a waste of time. Be upset over the fact that we haven't won a playoff series in the better part of a decade, Newsy. Be upset over the fact that we've had a terrible team for years but haven't had enough luck for a 1OA pick, Newsy. But choosing to get your blood pressure up over Marc f***ing Staal just isn't something I understand.

I've told you over and over, I'm not upset.
You keep dishonestly building strawmen to argue.

I'm not upset by the Staal signing.
But he's overpaid.
Period.

You can lie and spindoctor all you want.
You can build strawmen and mischaracterize my point - because you have no point of your own, obviously.

He's overpaid.
And I would have just played the market rather overpay Staal.

When you have no counter, you diminish.
So keep diminishing.

"After all this losing, who cares about overpaying Staal?" is not an argument for overpaying Staal.

It's an argument for apathy.
And I get that. Be apathetic.

I'm going to hold the line - in a thread about Marc Staal's signing - on my opinion about Marc Staal's signing.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I've told you over and over, I'm not upset.
You keep dishonestly building strawmen to argue.

I'm not upset by the Staal signing.
But he's overpaid.
Period.

You can lie and spindoctor all you want.
You can build strawmen and mischaracterize my point - because you have no point of your own, obviously.

He's overpaid.
And I would have just played the market rather overpay Staal.

When you have no counter, you diminish.
So keep diminishing.

"After all this losing, who cares about overpaying Staal?" is not an argument for overpaying Staal.

It's an argument for apathy.
And I get that. Be apathetic.

I'm going to hold the line - in a thread about Marc Staal's signing - on my opinion about Marc Staal's signing.

Is this supposed to be written in the form of a poem, Newsy?

If you aren't upset, I'm not sure why you're so adamantly arguing against this signing, Newsy. Overpaying this guy on a one-year deal by $750k isn't going to break the bank. Is the money coming out of your pocket, Newsy? Or out of your Pulitzer Prize money?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Can a player even be considered overpaid when they are on their retirement death bed, have zero trade value, are on a one year deal, is taking up 5% of the currently available cap space, and is being paid using someone else's money?

Overpaid would imply that it carries a negative value in some capacity. His salary doesn't affect literally any single hockey-related item under the sun. It does likely take $700,000 out of the pockets of Chris Ilitch, but I'm not super concerned about the finances of a family that owns two sports franchises estimated to be worth north of $2,000,000,000 and a pizza franchise with estimated annual revenue of nearly $4,000,000,000, amongst other financial ventures. I feel the need to type out those numbers just for anyone who needs help understanding how insignificant the overpayment is.

If we are getting nitpicky over such an insignificant player/contract just comes across as being either jealous, or as a gatekeeper for someone else's money. Both of which are some of the more detestable traits that I can think of.

So being opposed to the contract are examples of detestable traits.
Literally a personal insult against anyone against the contract.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Is this supposed to be written in the form of a poem, Newsy?

If you aren't upset, I'm not sure why you're so adamantly arguing against this signing, Newsy. Overpaying this guy on a one-year deal by $750k isn't going to break the bank. Is the money coming out of your pocket, Newsy? Or out of your Pulitzer Prize money?

You're not going to stop eh? Not a f***ing single point about Staal.
I'm finished with your garbage.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Ask me 3-4 days after free agency starts, when guys of Staal's caliber are taking $800,000 just to stay in in the NHL.
But on day one of free agency, I'd look at Forbort.
I'd take a guy like Koekkok, too. Several guys I'd take over Staal who'd sign for less money.
Or, if I wanted an old guy, I'd look at Golikgoski or Suter or Chara.
There was no need to throw $2M at Staal.

Tell me your best argument for throwing $2M at Staal?
I guarantee you that you didn't even consider playing Staal more than $1,5M to stick around - let alone $2M + a NMC.
You’re assuming that any of those you mentioned want to play here, and will fit into the locker room like Marc Staal has.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You’re assuming that any of those you mentioned want to play here, and will fit into the locker room like Marc Staal has.

NHLers want to play in the NHL, not the AHL and not Europe.
3-4 days into Free Agency - in a year when the cap is rising - there are tons of bargains.
3-4 years into Free Agency - in a year when the cap is flat for a second straight year - it's an even better buyers market.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
You're not going to stop eh? Not a f***ing single point about Staal.
I'm finished with your garbage.
I'm simply trying to understand why you're so adamantly against this signing, Bob.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
3-4 days into Free Agency - in a year when the cap is rising - there are tons of bargains.
3-4 years into Free Agency - in a year when the cap is flat for a second straight year - it's an even better buyers market.

How many want to play for a dumpster fire?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So being opposed to the contract are examples of detestable traits.
Literally a personal insult against anyone against the contract.

No, it’s not an insult. It’s pointing out a characteristic trait that I do not like that is likely tied to the motives to arrive to a conclusion based on nothing other than financial implications that do not effect you or anything hockey related and is immaterial from a business perspective.

Last edited:

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
But you’re hoping they will give you what Marc Staal already gave you. Did the Wings “pay up”? Maybe, but they paid up for a known quantity who fit the locker room and culture. So what?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I mean, for $1,000,000 a year, I'll happily sign four days into FA. Doesn't mean I'll give you any more value than Staal.
I'll sit in the press box for $750k w/SY & co. I can't in good conscience accept any lower than that. :naughty:

If they start the Uber-squad again, I'll go to GR as needed.

Feather in the cap for SY, finding me, an overager, undrafted Gem

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
MBH seems to be under the assumption that older players with families who no longer need the money would line up to take a pittance of money to play here. And not to just play here but to play on the 3rd pairing in a mentoring role, while moving their families here for that one year. While giving you the same production and chemistry that Marc Staal gave. That’s a lot to assume

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
But you’re hoping they will give you what Marc Staal already gave you. Did the Wings “pay up”? Maybe, but they paid up for a known quantity who fit the locker room and culture. So what?

No, I'm actually hoping they'll give us much more than Marc Staal gave us.

Who cares about "fitting" this locker room. The Red Wings should be trying to get people in who shake this locker room up.
Our .429 point percentage was the 2nd worst this team had since the 85-86 season.

We need Staal to preserve the locker room culture?
Come on.

f***ing Zdeno Chara is out there.
Swing for the fences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad