Confirmed with Link: Staal back on one year deal

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
This is whatever to me. Staal was not catastrophically bad last season, and we need a body to play on the left side. It beats overpaying for someone else.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Damn, I was really hoping for a guy who could play a minute muncher role with Hronek, IDK if Staal fills that. Maybe Yzerman plans on bringing in another LD and waiving DDK?

Reactions: jkutswings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

I actually like this. He's a good guy for our kids to learn from.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Damn, I was really hoping for a guy who could play a minute muncher role with Hronek, IDK if Staal fills that. Maybe Yzerman plans on bringing in another LD and waiving DDK?
Not worth getting worked up over mind you, but I'd have preferred we didn't sign him

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I guess we know what next year is gonna be now. We have a D likely made up of Stecher, Leddy, Seider, Hronek, Staal, Dekeyser. Better than last year but probably still worst in the NHL. I doubt we'll sign anyone who isn't more than a depth/third pair body.

Fight for Wright!

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Solid move. He and Stetcher make a half-decent third pairing for us.

If his performance drops off a cliff, then you put him in the press box and it's no real harm done.

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Waiving DeKeyser is idiotic belief.

DeKeyser is Hronek's partner. Staal with Seider, Leddy with Stecher.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He could be signed for $5M for one year for all I care. As long as the term is reasonable, I don't think it's a terrible move to bring him back. Dude's a warrior and not as bad as advertised.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

I don't know that we need to get waivers involved, but it wouldn't shock me to see Dekeyser spend most of the year on IR. He did not look up for it last year, and that was a shortened season. I think we probably go out and add another short-term LHD.

Leddy-Seider/Hronek
X - Seider/Hronek
Staal-Stetcher
Dekeyser-Lindstrom

for me.

Reactions: topdawg

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I am fine with this he played surprisingly well for us.

I do wonder if we will be signing Eric Staal as well as the rumor was they wanted to play together again.

Reactions: gbdet

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I know we needed somebody at LD, but I was hoping it wasn’t this somebody.

Still doesn't stop us needing another guy.

Biega and Djoos are gone. Right now, it's basically Leddy, DDK, and Staal on the left side.

If you think DDK is going to be healthy all year, I got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you. I think Staal functions as the 7D this year, so I'm guessing we're still in the market for a D like Martinez.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad