GDT: St. Louis Blues @ Ugly Yellow Helmetsville

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I wouldn't be mad if they end up in WC1 if that means they play Calgary. I know they have a high flying offense right now, but we all seen how sub standard goaltending in the playoffs can be a gamebreaker.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't be mad if they end up in WC1 if that means they play Calgary. I know they have a high flying offense right now, but we all seen how sub standard goaltending in the playoffs can be a gamebreaker.

The numbers suggest we should want Winnipeg or Nashville over Calgary, but really I think it's all similar. There's not a great first round choice

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Barkov is favorite. ROR may get some votes but likely not a finalist.
The only favorite is Bergeron. At some point it will be renamed after him.

I dont know what all goes into judging, but ROR was in just as dire of a situation as being on a shit team, but maintained a positive +/- and faces top competition. He'd be ahead of Barkov imo. Just as productive and by the numbers doesnt get scored on

Reactions: Bendak

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I dont know what all goes into judging, but ROR was in just as dire of a situation as being on a **** team, but maintained a positive +/- and faces top competition. He'd be ahead of Barkov imo. Just as productive and by the numbers doesnt get scored on
Bergeron and ROR are both fantastic players. Barkov has drawn an ungodly amount of penalties and only taken like 2. He also plays lots of hard minutes. Bergeron missed a good amount of time due to injuries which hurts him. And sense is that since Barkov hasn't won voters think he is due. Really can't go wrong with any of the 3 (or Stone).

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I dont know what all goes into judging, but ROR was in just as dire of a situation as being on a **** team, but maintained a positive +/- and faces top competition. He'd be ahead of Barkov imo. Just as productive and by the numbers doesnt get scored on
And to be clear, I am not advocating for Barkov over Bergeron (or even ROR), just that I think he is considered the most likely to win this year.

Dec 15, 2002
Why do you think he hasn’t shown an inclination to buy people out? I’ll give you a hint: This is a traditionally poor franchise. Ownership has never tossed money around except the Lauries.
Being a "traditionally poor franchise" hasn't stopped us from spending to the cap each of the last few years and didn't stop us from spending well up near the cap in years prior to that. So, I'm not buying any "he doesn't have money from ownership to buy a contract out" line.

I think it really just comes down to philosophy. The act of buying out a player is the ultimate admission that the player's contract is so bad and the player provides so little value relative to that contract and no one else wants the guy at whatever discount, the team is better off cutting a check and sending the player away than keeping him around on the roster. Having to retain salary over some extended period of time is an admission that the contract is overpriced and someone else is only interested at a lower price tag [e.g., if the team holding the contract eats some part of it]. It's also why you've not really seen DA retain salary, with the notable exception of the Stastny deal last season and the Shattekirk deal the year prior - and both of those were "final year, not a whole lot of cost left" moves.

It seems like DA prefers to go the route of "get the contract off the books completely" rather than have dead cap space on the books because the latter means there's less room to put toward the current roster. A contract that counts on the cap is theoretically movable in a deal; a buyout incurs dead cap space and it's not movable under any circumstance. You look at the couple deals where we moved significant contracts in full. Philadelphia, that cost us a 1st to unload Lehtera. Buffalo, that cost us writing the check for ROR's signing bonus and maybe something else that went back [Thompson or the 2nd round pick]. Both of those were apparently more palpable than having Lehtera counting ~$1.65 million on the cap for 4 years or say Sobotka counting ~$1.05 million on the cap for 4 years.

I don't necessarily agree with that approach, I'm just saying I think that's the mindset behind it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Bergeron and ROR are both fantastic players. Barkov has drawn an ungodly amount of penalties and only taken like 2. He also plays lots of hard minutes. Bergeron missed a good amount of time due to injuries which hurts him. And sense is that since Barkov hasn't won voters think he is due. Really can't go wrong with any of the 3 (or Stone).

And to be clear, I am not advocating for Barkov over Bergeron (or even ROR), just that I think he is considered the most likely to win this year.

But why though? I hate it when "guys are due".

I'd advocate HARD for Ryan O'Reilly for the Hart or Selke.

As for Barkov drawing so many penalties and taking 2....give him the Lady Bing.

I dont watch Panther games so I'm going by the numbers I see. Barkov is a tier below the other 2 in what they are doing.

It's a shame Orielly wont sniff the Hart given how rediculous Kucherov is, but without O'Reilly, the Blues would not be where they are. He wont get it scoring less then 90pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad