GDT: St. Louis Blues @ Ugly Yellow Helmetsville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2002
I think it’s ownership. They aren’t going to pay people not to play.
The only two guys I can remember us buying out were Dallas Drake and Jay McKee; both of those were when Pleau was the GM and both guys only had a year left on their contracts. [CapFriendly shows us as having 0 buyouts ever and that's demonstrably incorrect. Pretty sure it's missing a handful of others from prior years, too - but that's a rant for another time.]

Yeah, it was also different ownership but Armstrong hasn't shown an inclination to do buyouts in his tenure. He's shown more of a willingness to package assets with crappy contracts to get other teams to take them [i.e., Lehtera, Sobotka/Berglund] to get mistakes to go away. I would expect Allen will be the same kind of move.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Bold prediction: Nashville will be trading their first and either Tolvanen & Fabbro, or both, by Weds AM.

Depends who they go for. Panarin is going to cost 1st and both of those prospects for sure. If you go for a Simmonds, one and 1st probably.

Reactions: Bendak

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Yeah, it was also different ownership but Armstrong hasn't shown an inclination to do buyouts in his tenure. He's shown more of a willingness to package assets with crappy contracts to get other teams to take them [i.e., Lehtera, Sobotka/Berglund] to get mistakes to go away. I would expect Allen will be the same kind of move.
Why do you think he hasn’t shown an inclination to buy people out? I’ll give you a hint: This is a traditionally poor franchise. Ownership has never tossed money around except the Lauries.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I could see them retaining some salary if another team thought they could turn him around with a change of scenery. Maybe the Blues keep him as the back-up and hope he gets taken in the expansion draft.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The team chemistry that seemed so awful before seems pretty great right now. Doing nothing is often doing something.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
What a great turn-around this club has executed. I'd love to see the next 28 games getting the 2nd and 3rd lines rolling.
If Army can dump Allen before the deadline, all the better. If he can add a guy like Stone or Duchene, that would be amazing.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Even great players get beaten on occasion. I'd take Josi on this team in a heartbeat, he'd step in and be the #1 guy on our defense and I think there's very little debate about it.

I dunno. That's as much a statement of Pietrangelo's recent play than anything else. When both are on their games, and having 'career' seasons I think there's a very good argument to be made for Pietrangelo being the superior player. Josi may be good for a few more points, but I've seen him beaten badly in the playoffs, multiple times, enough times to prefer #27's all around game; especially considering Pietrangelo is routinely amongst the Blues best playoff performers. Josi's defensive zone play simply doesn't compare to 'typical' Pietrangelo.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What a great turn-around this club has executed. I'd love to see the next 28 games getting the 2nd and 3rd lines rolling.
If Army can dump Allen before the deadline, all the better. If he can add a guy like Stone or Duchene, that would be amazing.

Only if he can do that WITHOUT OVERPAYING. Getting one of those 2 is not going to guarantee The Blues to win more series' than they can without him. The Blues have enough forward depth now. Schwartz should start scoring any time now, and Perron will return in 1 or 2 games. Giving up future young players on low-cost contracts for several years to get one additional veteran forward, with a high salary, may not help this team enough to warrant giving up those assets. However, if they could get something for Steen or Allen in such a trade, cutting down what they'd have to give up in future player assets, I'd be all for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad