GDT: St. Louis Blues @ Ugly Yellow Helmetsville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
But why though? I hate it when "guys are due".

I'd advocate HARD for Ryan O'Reilly for the Hart or Selke.

As for Barkov drawing so many penalties and taking 2....give him the Lady Bing.

I dont watch Panther games so I'm going by the numbers I see. Barkov is a tier below the other 2 in what they are doing.

It's a shame Orielly wont sniff the Hart given how rediculous Kucherov is, but without O'Reilly, the Blues would not be where they are. He wont get it scoring less then 90pts
Barkov plays 4 minutes more per game than Bergeron who also missed 15 games. That plays into it too. But ignoring age or any future value, if you asked me who I would want for rest of this year and into playoffs it would absolutely be Bergeron.

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I love Barkov as a player, but Bergie is the man. Bergeron is one of my all time favorites. Not sure I'd rate any center higher over the past decade save Crosby and McDavid.

Reactions: Bendak

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
What was weird about it? The ref pointed down to the ice and 2 seconds later he dropped the puck. Maybe RyJo should have been paying attention and playing the game instead of standing like an idiot on the dot.
It was weird that Johansson didn’t even challenge for it. I’m not making excuses for the guy, but it isn’t like he started playing in the nhl yesterday.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Isn't Binnington the same age now that Allen was when he got the starting job?
Binnington was 25 and almost 6 months when he finally got to start an NHL game and started to take control. Allen was 24 yrs, 8 mos when he got tabbed to be the #1 in the 2015 playoffs and was 26 and 2 months when he started the '16-17 season as the de facto #1, but he made his first NHL start at 22 years, 6 months.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I dunno. That's as much a statement of Pietrangelo's recent play than anything else. When both are on their games, and having 'career' seasons I think there's a very good argument to be made for Pietrangelo being the superior player. Josi may be good for a few more points, but I've seen him beaten badly in the playoffs, multiple times, enough times to prefer #27's all around game; especially considering Pietrangelo is routinely amongst the Blues best playoff performers. Josi's defensive zone play simply doesn't compare to 'typical' Pietrangelo.
Talk to the folks in Nashville and they will tell you Petro wouldn’t break their top 4. They have said that for years. I don’t necessarily agree, but three of them I would have a hard time disagreeing.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It seems like DA prefers to go the route of "get the contract off the books completely" rather than have dead cap space on the books because the latter means there's less room to put toward the current roster. A contract that counts on the cap is theoretically movable in a deal; a buyout incurs dead cap space and it's not movable under any circumstance. You look at the couple deals where we moved significant contracts in full. Philadelphia, that cost us a 1st to unload Lehtera. Buffalo, that cost us writing the check for ROR's signing bonus and maybe something else that went back [Thompson or the 2nd round pick]. Both of those were apparently more palpable than having Lehtera counting ~$1.65 million on the cap for 4 years or say Sobotka counting ~$1.05 million on the cap for 4 years.

I don't necessarily agree with that approach, I'm just saying I think that's the mindset behind it.

I vehemently disagree that the value/cost for moving Lehtera was a 1st. There is absolutely no way that the draft-time value of of Brayden Schenn (with 3 years remaining at $5.125 mil AAV) was just a single mid-late 1st round pick. At the time of that trade, Schenn was (conservatively) a 25 years old, 50+ point winger who was good for 175 hits a year and well known for being able to stay healthy. That type of player fetches a 1st as a pure rental at the deadline, not over the summer with 3 years left of team control at a reasonable cap hit. Without including Lehtera, Schenn costs a 1st and some other mid-value asset. The cost to shed Lehtera's deal was the difference between that asset and a 1st round pick. Honestly, I'd wager that Philly shopped Schenn alone for two 1sts (or a 1st and a good-but-not elite prospect) and the Blues said we'll match that price, but you need to take Lehtera's contract to make the money work.

As for Sobotka/Bergie, I really disagree that we added value for them to take those contracts. ROR was getting traded by the end of the day, that's pretty clear. There were numerous reports that Buffalo didn't want to pay that bonus and July 1 is one of the busiest days of the year for an NHL GM. The fact that ROR was traded that evening makes it clear that Buffalo's front office was allocating a good chunk of their time/resources to getting a deal done before having to pay a bonus. Paying that bonus was the cost of acquiring ROR. I don't believe for a 2nd that waiting a day and trading a 1st, 2nd and Thompson without those contracts included was ever an option. The vast majority of non-rental-trades for a $7+ mil player involve money going back the other way, as that is just the reality of a cap league. I doubt Buffalo had any offers that didn't include taking salary back and I don't think ROR's value (a clear cut 1C with 5 years of team control) was much less than a 1st, 2nd and Thompson.

As a whole, I think most fans overestimate the negative value of bad contracts that are limited in remaining term and aren't for borderline star player money. Contracts like Lucic, Seabrook, Backes, Eriksson, etc are incredibly difficult to move. But $3-4 mil deals with a couple years of remaining term for serviceable middle 6 or bottom 4 guys are pretty easy to include in a trade or shed for a low-mid value asset.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
3-4 million per year is the going rate of a 3rd liner who can fill in as a second. Biggest gripe about Berglund contact wasn’t the $$, but the fact it was a 5 year deal.

As for the ROR bonus, that is essentially paying ROR up front for the year. I believe Buffolo didn’t want to pay 90% of the salary for the year for a guy they intended on moving.

I also think Term plays a lot into it. If Lehterä had 3-4 years remaining, I don’t think Phili makes the deal. Sobi was a pretty short term deal and so was Jori both had two years left at time of trade.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Binnington was 25 and almost 6 months when he finally got to start an NHL game and started to take control. Allen was 24 yrs, 8 mos when he got tabbed to be the #1 in the 2015 playoffs and was 26 and 2 months when he started the '16-17 season as the de facto #1, but he made his first NHL start at 22 years, 6 months.

I'm good with every goalie prospect the organization controls playing in the AHL until they're 25, as a general policy. Spending a 1st round pick on one is asinine, so rushing anyone to the NHL seems foolhardy. There is no shortage of available goaltenders between the ages of 27 and 37 waiting in the AHL for their chance to get recalled.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Okay, I just thought most goalies didn't become starters in the NHL until 24-26 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad