St. Louis Blues making a comeback?

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
The Blues style of play is just suffocating opponents right now. They have a relentless fore-check and they're basically camping out in their opponents zone with the way they're cycling and getting shots through from the point. Defensively they're taking away the middle, blocking shots, and boxing out very well. Their 5v5 and shots suppression stats have been ridiculous. Binnington has definitely been a big factor but Berube deserves a TON of credit turning this team around and getting them to buy into this system.
Another thing that has really been noticeable lately are our d-zone exits and transition game. So long as someone doesn't misplay the puck or make a bad turnover, we are up the ice quickly with possession.

Reactions: TheGoldenGod

Backes42

Jul 20, 2017
I also worry about peaking too soon. Most of the teams will be finding another gear once playoffs start.

As far-fetched as it once would have sounded, I'm pulling for the Blues to win the Central. Preds and Jets can duke it out in the 1st round.

This. While I think we can certainly beat either team in a 7 game series, I think the team would be gassed after a first round Nashville matchup. That game last night was playoff hockey and games with them tend to be pretty chippy.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I didn't think we had a shot at making the playoffs when we were at the lowest point, and not it's not unreasonably for us to win the division. Just a really bizarre season.

And people want to believe it's because the West stinks. The truth is the Blues have been beating great teams all year. Maybe we will win the division because Winnipeg is slowing but this Blues team has beaten A LOT of great teams during their resurgence.

We're the only team to shut out Tampa Bay...a team that hasn't lost since then while scoring about 4-5 goals per game.

Since Jan 1: We took down Toronto last week(and at the start of the year). We just beat Boston last weekend. We beat Washington twice and Montreal . We also beat Columbus at the start of our winning streak

The Islanders are the only top East team we couldn't beat. Lost 4-3 at home and 2-1 in OT on the road.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And people want to believe it's because the West stinks. The truth is the Blues have been beating great teams all year. Maybe we will win the division because Winnipeg is slowing but this Blues team has beaten A LOT of great teams during their resurgence.

We're the only team to shut out Tampa Bay...a team that hasn't lost since then while scoring about 4-5 goals per game.

Since Jan 1: We took down Toronto last week(and at the start of the year). We just beat Boston last weekend. We beat Washington twice and Montreal . We also beat Columbus at the start of our winning streak

The Islanders are the only top East team we couldn't beat. Lost 4-3 at home and 2-1 in OT on the road.

Yep, our record against good teams was always pretty good, we were just pure garbage against the average and bad teams. 3 loses against the Blackhawks when they sucked.

ledzeppelinfan1

Feb 26, 2010

That's without mentioning we've beat Nashville 3 times in the last two weeks!!!

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The Blues style of play is just suffocating opponents right now. They have a relentless fore-check and they're basically camping out in their opponents zone with the way they're cycling and getting shots through from the point. Defensively they're taking away the middle, blocking shots, and boxing out very well. Their 5v5 and shots suppression stats have been ridiculous. Binnington has definitely been a big factor but Berube deserves a TON of credit turning this team around and getting them to buy into this system.

The Blues' cycle game is laugh-out-loud comical against some teams. Their little, scrawny defensemen just lightly shove on guys like Maroon, Sundqvist, Tarasenko, Schenn, etc. and nothing happens. Since December, the only teams that seem to be able to handle it when the Blues are on are the Bruins and sometimes Predators. The combination of quick puck movement and a heavy forecheck seems to catch a lot of teams by surprise lately.

Reactions: TheGoldenGod

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
2 top 6 players Schenn and Perron might be back in Friday after missing time. Perron significant time and Schenn only a couple weeks. They’ll be welcome additions. Not sure who sits though.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

And we outplayed the Islanders in both games. Lehner was out of his mind.

It’s amazing the discrepancy. They’ve been garbage against the worst teams in the league. LA beat STL twice and Chicago did it 3 times. Ottawa win took a miracle comeback. Lost to Edmonton, Anaheim, etc.

They beat New Jersey and that’s about it. Would be nice to have even 4 of those points right now.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
And we outplayed the Islanders in both games. Lehner was out of his mind.

It’s amazing the discrepancy. They’ve been garbage against the worst teams in the league. LA beat STL twice and Chicago did it 3 times. Ottawa win took a miracle comeback. Lost to Edmonton, Anaheim, etc.

They beat New Jersey and that’s about it. Would be nice to have even 4 of those points right now.
We're theses loses in December January or febuary?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
So St. Louis turned into the team we thought they had the potential of becoming preseason? Not thaaat surprising considering the roster even with the slow start. Difference has clearly been the solid goaltending for the first time in a while. I wouldn't want to play the Blues 1st round if I'm Nashville.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Could be. Or we've had much more talented teams who ran into some of the best teams of the past 35 years. Definitely one of the two though. I mean, if you think this Blues team could take that 01 Colorado team, all the more power to you. But I don't see a lot of people agreeing.

I think it is pretty unfair to compare a cap era team to a non cap era team. Relative to the rest of the western conference I like our talent just as much or even more this year than every other team. I couldn't say that in 01.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Yeah... No. this team doesn't come close to the 99-00 team and we saw how bad they failed in the playoffs.
You think the 99-00 team was better compared to the rest of the teams in the league that season vs the team we have now in comparison to the rest of the league?

By this silly logic, we could win the cup and not be "better" than the pre cap era 99-00 team.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I think it is pretty unfair to compare a cap era team to a non cap era team. Relative to the rest of the western conference I like our talent just as much or even more this year than every other team. I couldn't say that in 01.

You realize though that when you say this is the best team the Blues have ever iced that you are comparing them to pre-cap era Blues teams right? I like this team, we're doing well. Had you said this is the most wide open the West has been when we're looking to contend, yeah I agree.

Reactions: TomDelonge

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
You think the 99-00 team was better compared to the rest of the teams in the league that season vs the team we have now in comparison to the rest of the league?

By this silly logic, we could win the cup and not be "better" than the pre cap era 99-00 team.

You call it silly logic yet you declared this team the best in Blues history based off their past 20 games and ignoring they were one of the worst teams in the league the other 49 games. Sheer brilliance there.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If there is an underdog for the Cup it is St. Louis. Like the '17 Penguins this is the type of adversity that builds a strong, resilient hockey club. I would hate to run up against the Blues in the first or second round.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It just took a while for the 6 new players (ROR, Perron, Bozak, Thomas, Maroon, Fabbri) to gain chemistry playing together. (5 new and one coming back from missing the previous 2 yrs from injury). Also took to new coach to implement a better system. Yeo seems like a good man, but he’s a terrible HC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad