St. Louis Blues making a comeback?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I have not counted the Blues out at any point.

Reason being, i keep track of a lot of things for betting purposes, and all season long there's been similar play from the Blues comparable to both 16/17 Preds and Bruins before they turned it up and were one of the top teams in the 2nd half of the season. The good and the bad.

You never know what happens on the injury front etc. but there's no question the Blues have the ability to make the playoffs still and they love being the underdogs.

They're only a few pts out and we have yet to see their best possible lineup firing on all cylinders. I think both Steen and Bozak will be back after the long break, and that ASB is where teams generally decide to make their best push too. Combine that with the fact that they've been playing pretty well as of late and we have a recipe for a big late season push.

I can definitely see them outplaying any team in the West that's not sitting around that 60 point mark at the moment.

I don't think anyone should be surprised though. We all know they have a good roster. But people tend to forget it's a long season and sometimes it just takes time for things to click.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I have not counted the Blues out at any point.

Reason being, i keep track of a lot of things for betting purposes, and all season long there's been similar play from the Blues comparable to both 16/17 Preds and Bruins before they turned it up and were one of the top teams in the 2nd half of the season. The good and the bad.

You never know what happens on the injury front etc. but there's no question the Blues have the ability to make the playoffs still and they love being the underdogs.

They're only a few pts out and we have yet to see their best possible lineup firing on all cylinders. I think both Steen and Bozak will be back after the long break, and that ASB is where teams generally decide to make their best push too. Combine that with the fact that they've been playing pretty well as of late and we have a recipe for a big late season push.

I can definitely see them outplaying any team in the West that's not sitting around that 60 point mark at the moment.

There's also no real bad teams outside of the Kings in the west.

There's only 2 teams I think right now are longshots for the playoffs in the west (Blackhawks/Kings), it's a mess out there.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Vladdy seems to be awkaneing from his slumber.

Once Schenn and Schwartz decide to get their seasons' going they're going to be tough

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
The way the season has gone so far, I'm expecting them to lose the next 4 straight.
They've just been really inconsistent all year long but at least now they are getting a few saves from their goalies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hope they keep playing well. Need less sellers come trade deadline day.

:)

Also...the real winner could be Buffalo. Instead of the pick being deferred to next year, if the Blues play better but don't get in, then Buffalo could get that 11-15 pick.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
ror and perron are basically the sedins

vladdy has woken up

binnington just popped off 3 easy victories which made a big difference and maybe woke allen up

sundqvist out of nowhere looks like a top 6 player who can play both special teams lmao

playoffs here we coMe

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They play Colorado 2X, Minnesota 2X, Anaheim 2X, etc. St. Louis' destiny is back in their hands. Win games in regulation against these teams, and that goes a LONG way to making up ground in the standings. Lose to them in regulation, and it does the opposite.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
STL is built to compete now, so as MN, DAL, and possibly CO flame out, they might be just a smart trade away from having a puncher's chance at a playoff run. All this depends on real goaltending, of course, but otherwise, they look good, on paper.

It's hard to say why is going on in the Central, at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The Blues really seem to be make a quiet climb up the standings. They're 3 points out now and have played less games.

Will they take a wild card spot? I wouldn't bet against it...

For the record, not a Blues fan in any shape or form...
The fact that they’re in contention for a playoff spot with how bad they’ve been for the majority of the season is just a testiment to how bad the west is this year. I’m not even sure if the West is bad or if all the teams at the top are just really good. Either way, I hope STL can grab that last playoff spot and finally put the Wild fans out of their misery. It’s embarrassing when the majority of fans just want to see a change because they’re so bored with losing in the 1st round.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The Blues have gradually been playing better and better. It looks like they have a decent option in the net now if Allen is struggling. The underlying numbers show that they've been playing good hockey for a few weeks now. I think this is real, and that its more likely than now that the Blues continue to make up ground on the field. No one else seems to want to run away with a wildcard spot, so the Blues have a decent chance.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Blues are actually one of the best suppression teams in the league 5on5 this season, ahead of Nashville and Calgary in most categories (Only worse than both in scoring chances against per 60).

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
They sure made the defending SC champs look mediocre [and I'm being nice] last night. Hard to say whether it's the Blues looking that good, the Caps looking that bad, or a combination of both.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
The Blues were a common pick to be a contender this year pre-season, I think that we're seeing them getting closer to where we expected them to be now.

Last night they thoroughly outplayed us at home and Allen played a really good game - if they can keep this up they're a tough out.

Reactions: Haanz

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thinking they're going to finally live up to the hype they had prior to the season. Got to think they'll make the playoffs.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Blues are actually one of the best suppression teams in the league 5on5 this season, ahead of Nashville and Calgary in most categories (Only worse than both in scoring chances against per 60).
It's almost as if they got one of the best two way centers in the league for a bag of used practice pucks this offseason or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad