St. Louis Blues making a comeback?

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Binnington is the question mark. If he can stay steady there's no reason they can't go far. I hope its more than a hot streak and that he can be a #1 guy moving forward. Time will tell.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Binnington is the question mark. If he can stay steady there's no reason they can't go far. I hope its more than a hot streak and that he can be a #1 guy moving forward. Time will tell.
At the very least, because of him the team has a ton of confidence and everyone has turned it up a notch. Now, they have no excuse and know they can play a completely dominating game for extended periods of time. Havent seen any of that all year. So if Binny comes back to earth, STL *should* still be OK because everyone else is playing how they should.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
if they have truly finally found their groove with all the new additions, that team is gonna be a nightmare first round matchup for whichever division winner they draw (that is if they remain in WC spot).

I think they end up 3rd and play Nashville. I think I'd rather them face the Pacific winner but I'll be fine with just getting in at this point.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Why get Hughes or Kakko when you could get a first round exit?

I don't know. If they play this well they might actually win a series.

Also, they were never bad enough for those 2 guys. They were way behind in games played. Were looking at a finish around 10th. Still would have been a nice prospect, but not a franchise changer. And then Buffalo would have our 2020 first rounder completely unprotected. I'm ok with this, if it continues.

If we end up 9th in the West though. Ouch.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's kind of felt as though Dallas was just keeping 3rd place warm for another team. Maybe St. Louis wants their spot back, not sure who else is still in the mix. Minnesota and Colorado are hanging in there....we'll see if Chicago can keep up their pace either. 5 teams gunning for 1 spot, behind Winnipeg and Nashville who are pretty much out of reach at this point.

Wouldn't surprise me if the WC spots both went to Central teams either.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
At the very least, because of him the team has a ton of confidence and everyone has turned it up a notch. Now, they have no excuse and know they can play a completely dominating game for extended periods of time. Havent seen any of that all year. So if Binny comes back to earth, STL *should* still be OK because everyone else is playing how they should.

To be honest, the only way they keep playing like this is if Allen stays on the bench even if Binnington cools off. Sunday in Nashville showed that this team plays differently in front of both goaltenders. There is no confidence in Allen from the team, and it has shown in prior years as well.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Binnington is playing great, but who knows if he keeps it up. This roster is a cup caliber roster with a legit #1 goalie.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Get out of here with that negativity. The team we are watching now is the best team the Blues have ever iced, full of chemistry and skill. Perfect mix of veteran and youth. Berube turned out to really mesh with the players on this roster, so you are really over valuing the high pedigree coaching name.

If you think this team is the best the Blues have ever iced, you haven't followed the team for that long.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Get out of here with that negativity. The team we are watching now is the best team the Blues have ever iced, full of chemistry and skill. Perfect mix of veteran and youth. Berube turned out to really mesh with the players on this roster, so you are really over valuing the high pedigree coaching name.

Yeah... No. this team doesn't come close to the 99-00 team and we saw how bad they failed in the playoffs.

alekseyk

Apr 28, 2013
Yeah... No. this team doesn't come close to the 99-00 team and we saw how bad they failed in the playoffs.

let's not forget that the REAL MVP of that team gets KO by a dirty as f*** elbow and is ruled out for the rest of the playoffs on the last game of the regular season

that was also the FLUKIEST f***ing seven game series i have ever seen

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Blues really seem to be make a quiet climb up the standings. They're 3 points out now and have played less games.

Will they take a wild card spot? I wouldn't bet against it...

For the record, not a Blues fan in any shape or form...
Good thread. This may be one of the most unlikely stories of the year. Also got to give a mention to Vince Dunn. Always loved his game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haven't watched them enough to form an opinion, but it doesn't surprise me at all that they are roaring back. They do have some firepower, but one of their strengths has always been to play a good all round game. Not sexy, but effective. If they get goaltending, that can go far. It's not like previous years in the West, when you had great CHI teams, VG/exc CA teams, and a dogged MN team. Now, all but SJS are gone.

MN and STL will play back to back in March. Will be an interesting test. MN is losing to bad teams, but still is able to beat some good teams. W/o Koivu I don't think they have a chance, though.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This is how the team was always supposed to be so this shouldn't surprise too many people. This isn't some surprising fluke winning streak, the crappy start and how long it took them to get to this point was the surprising fluke.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad