St. Louis Blues making a comeback?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Jones and Rittich have outplayed Allen by a large margain. Allen is basically swiss cheese. Not even NHL caliber. That’s how bad.

Look buddy, I’m just calling it how I see it. Maybe to fix your problem you stick to SJ threads? Just a thought.

Statistically speaking, Allen has been marginally worse than Jones. Rittich has been the best of the bunch which is why I say “for a large majority of the season”.

I don’t see what my problem is. The problem seems to be with people who can’t accept that other people think their teams aren’t as good as they think they are. laugh:

Funny you say that and then turn around and call SJ a Stanley Cup contender.

San Jose is top-5 in points percentage, 1st in 5V5 CF%, 2nd in xGF%, and has two players who are top-10 in the NHL. What’s so funny?

Reactions: Bleedred

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
they have definitely turned things around over the past month. They still have a lot of work to do to even be a playoff team, but they're getting there

They are literally one point out of the 8 seed with 3 games in hand. By point percentage they are already there.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
If the blues lose tonight and the kings win they'll be 4 points out from a playoff spot. Good god no.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Maybe the Blues will lose the next 3 vs Tampa, Nashville, Nashville and everyone can write them off again. Meanwhile the schedule for March looks very manageable. Its easy to see them making a surge the last chunk of the season. But for me, it just comes down to how they look. They respond well to adversity, play with optimism and energy unlike how they looked early in the year. They look to me like a team that is going to fight its way through.

Backes42

Jul 20, 2017
Statistically speaking, Allen has been marginally worse than Jones. Rittich has been the best of the bunch which is why I say “for a large majority of the season”.

I don’t see what my problem is. The problem seems to be with people who can’t accept that other people think their teams aren’t as good as they think they are. laugh:

San Jose is top-5 in points percentage, 1st in 5V5 CF%, 2nd in xGF%, and has two players who are top-10 in the NHL. What’s so funny?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
They should grab Nichushkin. That's a good lottery ticket.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
A very talented roster finally found its footing and is thriving.

As long as Binnington can keep us in games we will make the playoffs. The rest of the team is playing excellent hockey.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

What 2 players do they have that are top 10 in the NHL?

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
I had to double check that. I don't remember them being that good, but you guys are certainly correct.

At any rate, I still don't see them as a top-10 team today, even with an elite goaltender. According to corsica.hockey, Jake Allen has allowed 11.66 more goals than an average goaltender would allow. But even if you replace him with John Gibson, who has saved his team 20.04 more goals than average, that only accounts for 31-32 goals.

For a team who is -6, to jump up to +25-26, would still not bring them up to top-5 in goal differential. And that's ignoring the fact that this calculation is extremely favorable to them and that replacing Allen with Gibson probably wouldn't actually save 31-32 more goals.

(Just for fun, doing the same thing with SJ and replacing Jones with Gibson would make us jump by +25 to +50 and we would be behind only Tampa. I don't think that's what would actually happen if you made that swap, though.)
Its not that black and white. Lack of confidence in the net changes everything. I don't know where they would be but elite goaltending would change all the stats not just the goal tending stats.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Blues are to talented to stay down indefinately....Blues fans....how is Robby Fabbri coming along? When is he due back?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues are to talented to stay down indefinately....Blues fans....how is Robby Fabbri coming along? When is he due back?
He's been struggling to get his game back. He was starting to pick it up but then injured his shoulder. He's not on IR just a healthy scratch.

I dont think anyone is alarmed. He missed alot of hockey and right now the Blues are winning and there's no glaring spot available. Maroon is the weak link but I have a feeling we're just going to have to deal with that

Reactions: Devonator

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
He hasn't performed well this season, he just looks extremely rusty and off on timing. He's been back from his shoulder injury for awhile now, but with the team being on the upswing, he hasn't drawn in due to Berube sticking with the same lineup since it is working.

Reactions: Devonator

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Maybe the Blues will lose the next 3 vs Tampa, Nashville, Nashville and everyone can write them off again. Meanwhile the schedule for March looks very manageable. Its easy to see them making a surge the last chunk of the season. But for me, it just comes down to how they look. They respond well to adversity, play with optimism and energy unlike how they looked early in the year. They look to me like a team that is going to fight its way through.

They just shut-out the best team in the league, in their barn. If anyone writes them off now, lol

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So goaltending actually matters? What a concept!

Goalies really aren't team system players that are tanked by the team in front of them? REALLY?!

So they bench Jake Allen, who had been an absolute and utter sieve this year, call up Binnington and glue Allen's ass to the bench and they start winning games? There's a surprise. NOT!

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
If we make it in and O'Reilly keeps this up he should be in the Hart conversation. And I'll be damned if he's not in the Selke talk.

He's unreal.
Selke for sure. Too bad its a flat out popularity contest.

21 minutes a night
+18 on a team with negative GF-GA
58% on faceoffs
PPG player
57 takeaways
18 giveaways
50/50 on ozone/dzone starts
53% Corsi

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad