St Louis Blues at the trade deadline

RastaBlues

Dec 19, 2014
Which would be disappointing. I can live with our personnel on defense, but we definitely could use more scoring up front, specifically on the Stastny line.

Going into the playoffs as is (up front) would be a mistake, honestly.

Our offence is fine. We have the second most goals in the league and first in the western conference. I think this is the year where you don't make a trade just to say you made a trade. Roll the dice and see what happens. On paper we have all the pieces. Sure there's upgrades that can be made but unless Army has a wildcard up his sleeve, I don't see anything happening that would make us better without causing another hole. We'll see what happens though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Draft pick for Jagr would be the safe move. Love Jaskin's game now but it's still Jagr>Jaskin

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Jagr isn't 29 anymore but hey let's not let that get in the way of facts.

So ride a rookie into the playoffs? I'm fine with that too, but let's talk about this fact. Jagr's playoff experience > Jaskin's or lindstom.

He's still a strong possession player that can score and set up teammates.

As I said, I'm good with riding Jaskin too, but if an improvement can be made, its worth the small risk.

We wouldn't lose a series because Jagr played over Jaskin

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Jagr isn't 29 anymore but hey let's not let that get in the way of facts.

It's Jagr, not Rolston. This guy is the exception to the age argument and has more playoff experience than the Blues... yeah all of them at the same time. He's going to retire borderline PPG for over 200 playoff games. There's your healthy dose of facts.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's Jagr, not Rolston. This guy is the exception to the age argument and has more playoff experience than the Blues... yeah all of them at the same time. He's going to retire borderline PPG for over 200 playoff games. There's your healthy dose of facts.
You brought up what he did in his prime, so no those aren't facts that have anything to do with what I said.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
You brought up what he did in his prime, so no those aren't facts that have anything to do with what I said.

He's still leading the Devils in points, so yeah they do. The guy isn't done yet. He's not there to be the best player, he's there because unlike most of the Blues he doesn't quit when things get harder.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Jagr's last two postseason appearances:
2012: 1 goal in 11 games
2013: 0 goals in 22 games

So 1 goal in his last 33 postseason games. He does have 17 assists in those 33 games, though, so it's not like he has been worthless.

Despite the extremely low goal total, I'd still have great interest at the right price. Jagr has slowed a few steps but he has only lost what Berglund and Jaskin have never had in terms of speed and agility.

Pairing Jagr with Stastny's playmaking ability and putting them up against 3rd pairing d-men sounds like a solid plan.

As someone else mentioned, it gives us the depth we really want to have at forward. Lindstrom can't play in the playoffs(or the regular season)

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
You can get Jagr without having to give up Berglund. Yeah, that probably means Jaskin sits, but I'd rather have him as depth than Lindstrom or, heaven forbid, Paajarvi.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That's why I want Jagr. On the 3rd line with Berglund and Stastny, it should be a nightmare to match up against for other teams.

If we enter the post season with a healthy roster, and upgrades to the 3rd pairing and 3rd line. There will be no excuses for choking this time.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You can get Jagr without having to give up Berglund. Yeah, that probably means Jaskin sits, but I'd rather have him as depth than Lindstrom or, heaven forbid, Paajarvi.

Exactly. A 3rd Line of Berglund (playing the way he's been for the last few weeks), Stastny and a well-rested Jagr, would be very difficult for most teams' 3rd Line to play against. If Jagr proves to be relatively ineffective in The playoffs, or need rest, Jaskin can replace him. I wouldn't want to see Lindström or Pääjärvi playing on that line in the playoffs.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Some have called for a big strong defenseman for the third pairing. We had such a player in Polak last year and traded him away to get a finesse player. I guess its possible that the Blues have had enough time to rethink what they like in defensemen, but I doubt they see the need to get such a player. Being big and strong doesn't make you impervious to the forecheck.

We could get a lot more out of Stastny with better linemates. I know Berglund has his fans, but I think he is a marginal player. Jaskin has a good future, but he isn't a core player at this point.

I guess we could live with Berglund on the third line if the right wing was a good player. That's what I'm hoping to see. People have mentioned Jagr or Vermette. Jagr is an amazing athlete, but can he really take the pounding of a couple of playoff series at the age of 43 years?

I don't know enough about Vermette to offer an opinion, but there are a lot of other teams out there. Surely there are guys with undistinguished resumes who can come in and prosper with a good center.

Remember Blair Chapman and Mark Hunter?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
With Jackman on the 3rd pairing, that throws out a lumberjack dman.

I've been trying to watch more of Zidlicky to see how he is on transition, he would be a huge asset offensively on the 3rd pairing. I really wish Cole would have succeeded, but whatevs.

As for the 3rd line...I'd write off vermette, he will be too pricey.

I'd like to hear Stafford honestly.....seems like a Stastny guy.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Berglund isn't the greatest player in the world, and we wouldn't have missed him at all if we traded him 2 months into the season. His play over the past couple of months has picked up, even if it isn't reflecting on the stat sheet as much as we would like. There really is no point in looking at moving/upgrading his position with his current play.

When it comes to Jágr, the expectations need to be realistic. We are looking to upgrade our complimentary player, the guys who are going to be able to play a solid game and chip in. We wouldn't be looking for him to be a difference maker. He might be 43, but I think he could still manage that.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Jagr's last two postseason appearances:
2012: 1 goal in 11 games
2013: 0 goals in 22 games

So 1 goal in his last 33 postseason games. He does have 17 assists in those 33 games, though, so it's not like he has been worthless.

Despite the extremely low goal total, I'd still have great interest at the right price. Jagr has slowed a few steps but he has only lost what Berglund and Jaskin have never had in terms of speed and agility.

Pairing Jagr with Stastny's playmaking ability and putting them up against 3rd pairing d-men sounds like a solid plan.

As someone else mentioned, it gives us the depth we really want to have at forward. Lindstrom can't play in the playoffs(or the regular season)

What line and role? How much PP time. I wouldn't think he'd get much PP time on the Blues under normal circumstances.

I feel like this board is really undervaluing Jaskin and not acknowledging the big step forward he has made. I'd love to have Jagr, but I'm probably thinking of a version of Jagr from a few years ago. I'd need to be convinced that he is an upgrade on Jaskin.

I think it's still wise to get a rental for the third line. With conceding Paajarvi is not a player, and seeing how Lindstrom wilts with physical play, until Porter returns the depth is thin. I'd like to have another guy to slot in for injuries who is capable of scoring a goal in the postseason.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Jagr has adjusted his game due to his age. He is still one of the best at protecting the puck, he still goes to the hard areas of the ice, he still has great passing ability. The only knock on Jagr is his speed and endurance. Getting sheltered here would be a great fit unlike playing top line minutes in NJ.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Jagr's passing ability in tight areas and ability to get off shots in those areas would work very well with Stastny.

I wouldn't want to relyJaskin in the POs

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
With Jackman on the 3rd pairing, that throws out a lumberjack dman.

I've been trying to watch more of Zidlicky to see how he is on transition, he would be a huge asset offensively on the 3rd pairing. I really wish Cole would have succeeded, but whatevs.

As for the 3rd line...I'd write off vermette, he will be too pricey.

I'd like to hear Stafford honestly.....seems like a Stastny guy.
I think Cole has been fine as a #6 guy. I don't see the need for a guy like Zidlicky.

I'd be alright with Stafford though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Cole has been fine as a #6 guy. I don't see the need for a guy like Zidlicky.

I'd be alright with Stafford though.

I've been happy with Cole personally, but he's back to if he makes a mistake, he sits. He has all the tools to be a great dman. He's big and strong, has a good pass and a bomb of a shot. I guess it's a case of defensive zone IQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad