St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
It is what it is, we got Montour out of it. It’s entirely possible that a young signed mobile defenseman couldn’t be had without the condition. (Or it’s possible he could have, nobody will know one way or the other) ....but....

If you already are annoyed with Botts you’ll find fault with this, if you’re in the wait and see boat you’ll probably not.

Personally, for me he gets this off season to shape the roster...nothing more
Au contraire, I'm annoyed by Botts and don't really care about this pick

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Eh, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I won't get too upset over the trade getting slightly more terrible.

I’m just tired of this organization overrating the value of draft picks. A top 8 pick is exciting, a 20-60 pick is not.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Not a fan of the pick condition, but happy with the player we got. If there wasn't a larger pattern it fit into it likely wouldn't bother me at all. There are a plenty of far more significant criticisms to be leveled at Botts.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
giphy (1).gif

Oh well, at least we know where we're picking, ball park now.

So once more, screwed by Dallas.

NO GOAL

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
If the Sharks win the pick condition is irrelevant anyways. I never really had doubts the Sharks pick would be late, we just got incredibly unlucky with how St. Louis caught fire while the rest of the Central went ice cold. God it's so frustrating, you'd think we could have things go our way for more than just once in a long while.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
If the Sharks win the pick condition is irrelevant anyways. I never really had doubts the Sharks pick would be late, we just got incredibly unlucky with how St. Louis caught fire while the rest of the Central went ice cold. God it's so frustrating, you'd think we could have things go our way for more than just once in a long while.

On the flip side, we also got incredibly lucky the Sharks pick is a first at all. Could have easily been another huge misstep by GMJB

Reactions: Drunkard

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The ROR trade

Thompson
28-31 overall
Sobotka
Berglund

You couldn’t even get Kadri for that package.
Botterill was looking for culture change, he failed. It's really that simple unfortunately.
St. Louis won't make it past SJ. Unlike their 1st two rds, SJ actually has heavy bodies to counter the Blues heavy bodies and they have depth as well.
But yea, the return on ROR will go down as one of the worst trades in the past 20 yrs in the NHL.
On a side note, I don't see Botterill here after this coming season, the Pegulas need to hire a Pres of hockey ops and step away from decision making or this team is staying 8n the basement imho.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Botterill was looking for culture change, he failed. It's really that simple unfortunately.
St. Louis won't make it past SJ. Unlike their 1st two rds, SJ actually has heavy bodies to counter the Blues heavy bodies and they have depth as well.
But yea, the return on ROR will go down as one of the worst trades in the past 20 yrs in the NHL.
On a side note, I don't see Botterill here after this coming season, the Pegulas need to hire a Pres of hockey ops and step away from decision making or this team is staying 8n the basement imho.
San Jose has Martin Jones in net. Blues in 6.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Go Sharks...

If we want someone to blame for this then look no further than Binnington. STL went from league bottom goaltending to one of the hottest goalies in the league as soon as he became starter.

Member 308457

Not to mention trading away Zadorov and Compher in order to get O'Reilly...

Reactions: Yatzhee

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The draft position was one of the last things I worried about watching that series. I worried more about "why is the guy taken #20 in the same draft we took Mittelstadt so much better at NHL Hockey than him and why are we such trash at developing players young and old?".

The pick being #19 or #29 doesn't really matter until we fix that.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The draft position was one of the last things I worried about watching that series. I worried more about "why is the guy taken #20 in the same draft we took Mittelstadt so much better at NHL Hockey than him and why are we such trash at developing players young and old?".

The pick being #19 or #29 doesn't really matter until we fix that.

You’re grading kids too early. Thomas played three OHL seasons at a premier talent development team prior to going pro.

Mittelstadt played a half season in the USHL and a season at Minnesota. He’s behind in development mostly due to time.

Talent and effort are there. He’s better than Thomas and will catch up, and eventually surpass him.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

compare draft quality of players selected 18-21 vs 28-31,

Sure you can fins long career players drafted at 28-31 but here there are just many more hit and misses.

forwards drafted late are usually 3rd line players while those drafted in the late teens are more 2nd line quality. With D you are talking more mid pair vs bottom pair .

2/3 vs 4/5 in terms of Dmen
forwards drafted are usually 2/3 line wingers or 3rd line centers.

a player drafted in teens I look at being a full time member of parent by 2nd ELC year. late 1st by 3rd year ELC.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Botts could have added a condition of:

STL makes conference finals 2021 2nd becomes a 2021 1st since STL wanted top 10 protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad