SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Let's have some fun. I am wondering which OA would Greyhounds fans choose to add to this lineup from the whole league for next season? Rules are you can pick any 2000 born in the league this year, other than imports and signed players. Even if you don't think the team will trade the player you can pick them.

If it's helpful you can refer to Overagers 2020-2021

I have been assuming for a while now that our OA addition would be a defenseman. Our backend was shaky for most of this season, and we traded away Wale at the deadline to make it even less deep. But recently I have been wondering more and more if Raftis keeps the group we have. They have shown flashes of what they are capable of, and most of them have a much higher ceiling than where they are currently (read: lots more room to continue to improve). Another season with this group ( + Toms ) might very well have them right where Raftis wants them.

What this team desperately needs is a couple of top tier scorers. It seems to me most championship teams have a couple of players at > 1.45 points per game, with at least four others at around 1.0 points per game. I look at this roster as having no trouble finding 6+ players that will score at around 1.0 points per game or higher, but I am not sure any will flirt with 1.5 points per game.

My choice for an OA addition is Pavel Gogolev. He ticks all the boxes for me and plays a style that should allow him to step right into our lineup. He also has the championship pedigree that few OA candidates will have, as there were no playoffs this year.

What does everyone else think?

It wouldn't be very interesting to double down on your pick, so I'll go with Mitchell Hoelscher. He plays the strong defensive game that we need, while also bringing a good scoring touch and a strong playoff track record. As for the chances of him being returned and traded, I deem them rather low.

As far as more realistic targets go, I think we need help on the right wing. I expect Flint to move one of Jack Wismer or Connor Roberts. Kaleb Pearson and Owen Gilhula are also interesting players on teams that may have to move them.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Random topic. Numbers you think will be retired by the Greyhounds in coming future? I would imagine Joe Thornton has to be retired. Guy is a legend.

I would say that Paul Coffey, Rick Tocchet, and Ted Nolan are worthy of consideration, but have probably been passed over given the time gap.

Thornton, Jeff Carter, and perhaps Matt Murray are names to watch in the future.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
4 out of the top 10, and 6 out of all 28 is some serious representation.

There is a small chance that 10 Greyhounds get drafted in a single season. That would have to be a team record or close to it. I expect something closer to 6 or 7, but the possibility exists.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Players that have appeared on lists this season.

First year eligible:
O'Rourke
Malik
Kerins
Dickinson
Johnston
Pytlik

Draft re-entries:
MacKay
Kartye
Constantinou
Carroll
Calisti
Trott

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Good news the scoreboard is still on track.

No delay expected for GFL scoreboard
Yes that is good news
I was in the gardens today and for a second I got excited to see S & T workers in there I thought they might have been installing the new score clock but instead they were setting up a makeshift hospital wow this really sucks
Like the song that Green day sings (wake me up when September ends)

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Do you guys think the Covid 19 situation will have any impact on the Memorial Cup decision?

Oshawa is responsible for more than 10% of provincial fatalities and a rate that is more than double the provincial average.

That's not to say they aren't doing their best, but it would be hard to find 2 communities with a more disparate response to the virus.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The only way it will impact is if the whole Oshawa entourage tests positive right before the presentation and has to forfeit.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The only way it will impact is if the whole Oshawa entourage tests positive right before the presentation and has to forfeit.

It would be short sighted to ignore the impacts of the virus when making their decision. There are obviously a lot of factors that make Oshawa extremely vulnerable to an expected second or third wave that could arrive next summer.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It would be short sighted to ignore the impacts of the virus when making their decision. There are obviously a lot of factors that make Oshawa extremely vulnerable to an expected second or third wave that could arrive next summer.

such as?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not sure if you are living in a bubble in the Soo but the virus does not seem to understand borders or areas. The virus will need to be a non-factor everywhere before they let kids play anywhere. The committee will not look at this by region. They know that teams and players come from all over the country as well as fans and media. Covid-19 will not be a factor in their selection by region, only if it is a non-factor everywhere.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Not sure if you are living in a bubble in the Soo but the virus does not seem to understand borders or areas. The virus will need to be a non-factor everywhere before they let kids play anywhere. The committee will not look at this by region. They know that teams and players come from all over the country as well as fans and media. Covid-19 will not be a factor in their selection by region, only if it is a non-factor everywhere.

Unless I am mistaken, they will be making the selection fairly soon and the virus is very much a factor.

I get what you are saying, but that will determine whether they play and not which city is selected.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I do not think it will factor. We have to get through a season for the mem cup to be played. If any city has a huge resurgence they are shutting down hockey everywhere. Even if Oshawa had a resurgence and the mem cup was here, they are shutting it down.

Reactions: staubitz

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I can't really speculate. We only know that it's one of the worst areas in the nation. Population density has been cited as a factor in some other places.

But you did speculate, which is what prompted me to ask what the ‘obvious reasons’ were. One particularly hard hit large long term care facility would skew stats, right? It certainly has for smaller centres.

Reactions: TuckerFan1

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I do not think it will factor. We have to get through a season for the mem cup to be played. If any city has a huge resurgence they are shutting down hockey everywhere. Even if Oshawa had a resurgence and the mem cup was here, they are shutting it down.
To even add to that, if the virus is still a major factor come next summer, and no fans are allowed at sporting events, then there won’t even be an OHL season..

The CHL has to make their decision without the virus in mind. It has to be zero factor. Because the only way the hockey season is played, let alone a summer tournament, is if fans are allowed in the stands and the virus becomes a less serious or non issue

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

You misunderstood what I have said. I wondered if it would have an impact on the selection process. I understand that the Cup will not be played if the virus is still present in large numbers.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
My comment was addressing the selection process. They will select knowing that any resurgence through the winter or spring will jeopardize the tournament, even if the resurgence is not in the host city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad