SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It wouldn't be very interesting to double down on your pick, so I'll go with Mitchell Hoelscher. He plays the strong defensive game that we need, while also bringing a good scoring touch and a strong playoff track record. As for the chances of him being returned and traded, I deem them rather low.

As far as more realistic targets go, I think we need help on the right wing. I expect Flint to move one of Jack Wismer or Connor Roberts. Kaleb Pearson and Owen Gilhula are also interesting players on teams that may have to move them.
The Mitchell Hoelscher option just became more real as an OA option with Jersey indicating he won't be signed. Still not sure how likely it is that Ottawa might trade him.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Superstars, Heroics, Goalie Fights and More | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Listen for a couple of minutes starting at 33:20 for some conversation about and relating to the Greyhounds. Jeff Marek speculates that some extremely good news could be in our future.

Speaking of podcasts discussing the Greyhounds, I listened to the Spittin Chiclets interview they released with Marty Turco last night and he was saying how he's a Soo boy and wanted so badly to play for the Greyhounds (his family even billeted players) but they wouldnt even invite him to camp so he went NCAA and broke all the records at Michigan instead. Ouch

Reactions: Fischhaber

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
they wouldnt even invite him to camp so he went NCAA and broke all the records at Michigan instead. Ouch
Sure, you could frame it that way. Or you could recognize that we had Kevin Hodson who won us a Memorial Cup, followed by Dan Cloutier. I don't think too many Greyhound fans would change anything given a chance.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I checked to see if Gretzky and Coffey played together in the Soo. As some of you know, they did not... One year apart. Speaking of Coffey, he was the best skating D-man that I've ever seen, smooth, graceful, effortless. He could give lessons to Barb Underhill.

Reactions: Fischhaber

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Might be reading too much into this, but was looking at a photo gallery that the Greyhounds put out after the draft.
GALLERY; Prospect Pics 2020 – Soo Greyhounds

15 players are pictured wearing the Hounds jersey. We selected 19 total (including the 3 in the U18 draft). Here are the 4 players not pictured (3 of them are Americans):
2020 4th - McGroarty, Rutger - USNTDP
2020 8th - Varner, Justin
2020 8th - Davis, Nathaniel
2020 15th - Muszelic, Tyler - USNTDP

The two NTDP players aren't surprising, but I wonder what the story is with the two 8th round picks?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The Mitchell Hoelscher option just became more real as an OA option with Jersey indicating he won't be signed. Still not sure how likely it is that Ottawa might trade him.

Speaking of Soo OA’s for next year, Zack Trott suffered an ankle injury a few weeks ago. I was talking to a buddy of mine who knows the family. He apparently rolled a quad and shattered his ankle. Had to have surgery with pins etc. inserted.

The prognosis though isn’t that bad. Had there been a regular OHL start to the season in the fall, he’d be on the shelf 100%. But he does expect to recover fully eventually.

Not sure if this has been already mentioned on this board or not as I haven’t gone back to read on here over the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That news might put us even thinner at RW than we were before (Trott had been playing on his off-wing). Wonder if that might impact the OA that we shop for? Here are a few right shot forwards that I have my eye on:
Chad Yetman
Kaleb Pearson
Eric Uba
Connor Roberts
Jack Wismer

Reactions: shot caller

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
That news might put us even thinner at RW than we were before (Trott had been playing on his off-wing). Wonder if that might impact the OA that we shop for? Here are a few right shot forwards that I have my eye on:
Chad Yetman
Kaleb Pearson
Eric Uba
Connor Roberts
Jack Wismer
Yetman ain’t going anywhere. Erie isn’t going to sell and if they do it will be a disgruntled player and then maybe a full sell come January if they are terrible.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
At least we pick fairly high in the import draft. 4th in the OHL should translate to 10th overall in the CHL as I believe the OHL picks first this season.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
According to the Twittersphere Nick Malik will not be returning to the OHL.

The potential of him not returning was written all over this one the day he arrived. The ending of his professional season lined up so nicely for him to come over and “Test” out the OHL and see if he liked it. A kid like him has the real potential to earn money while playing at home and developing. Sucks, I know you were counting on him and he showed he could dominate. He needed to be a little more consistent but he looked really good most nights.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
given that next season will probably start late, and may not start at all, i don't think this is the last import we'll hear about playing elsewhere. time will tell.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
given that next season will probably start late, and may not start at all, i don't think this is the last import we'll hear about playing elsewhere. time will tell.
Is that why he left? The QMJHL is saying they plan on starting Oct 1 (which is 10 days late) and playing a full 68 games.

Seen on twitter people saying that he used last year as a “tryout” to see if he liked the OHL route and if it’d be the best for him and he decided against it. Based on those posts it doesn’t sound like covid factored in much, if at all

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Todays SaultStar article says Raftis isn't worried.

I tweeted that Raftis thinks the CZprospects tweet is wrong and they responded and doubled down and posted a pic of Malik on whatever team’s roster for next year. Sounds like Malik and his agent are about to screw over one team

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Dont know how good google translate is.
Goal Nick Malík does not see the move of the draft to the NHL as a big problem. Also because he has a chance to be second in the extra-league team of the Steelworks in Třinec. "I would also like to fix the matches that I didn't have the best in the extraleague last year," says the 18-year-old talent, who should create a tandem with the experienced Jakub Štěpánek in the championship team.

Last season was very varied for Nick Malík. He won for the first league Frýdek-Místek, scored two premier starts in the extra league for Třinec, at the age of seventeen he made his debut at the domestic U20 World Championships and finished the year in the overseas OHL. Of course, he looks up to the draft, but he does not intend to cling to it. "Like everyone, I would like to be selected in the draft, but now I'm concentrating on myself. I want to have a good summer preparation and the best possible season. Then we'll see. "

What are your ambitions for the draft to the NHL?
"The draft is postponed until sometime in September, it will be different. I thought I could be in the third round, at least that's how I saw the estimates. But I don't know how it will all turn out, it's not up to me. "

In your opinion, which other Czech players will be interested in overseas?
"I guess we all know that Honza Myšák will be the highest. I wish it to the other boys, but I focus on myself. "

According to the scouts, Jaroslav Askarov from Russia should probably be the most among the goalkeepers.
"I met him in a few tournaments, the goalkeeper is good. I don't think it would be anything so special, in my year we are three or four at a similar level. It's just that he probably catches the Russians completely differently. These guys are world leaders now, so it's easier in this one. When I get a goal and I know that the boys in front of me will give another tut, it's not so much pressure for the goalkeeper. But he is definitely a good goalkeeper. "

Does the draft number seem clear? Would you also choose Alexis Lafrenièr?
"It simply came to our notice then. It's late, so he had more time to improve, the quality he has is really good. At the World Twenties Championships you could see his experience, an overview. He deserves a draft pick. ”

No matter how the overseas selection turns out for you, you should be second to Jakub Štěpánek in Třinec. It is so?
"I have a contract in Třinec, so I should stay. I would like to. After all, boys' hockey is something else and the extra league is one level higher than the first league. And I would also like to fix the matches that I didn't have the best in the extra league last year. We lost 1: 6 to Vary, then I jumped against Liberec (0: 5), which was also not entirely successful. I have to tap a little, be better and get up. I know what I need to improve and hone. There is enough work. "

The club number one is Jakub Štěpánek, how do you perceive him?
"As my teacher. He has had a great career, and when he jumped in Třinec, he had a great season, he caught a great Spengler. He was also successful in the KHL, he won the title in Switzerland ... He catches well, I can only learn from him. "

The organization also acquired the talented goalkeeper Tomáš Suchánek from Přerov, who is a year younger than you. Do you know each other?
"Not quite, we just saw each other a few times at the repre camp. Nice boy, so quiet. I know he can catch. ”

After the Junior World Championships at the turn of the calendar year, you moved from Frýdek-Místek to the overseas OHL. Did the mission serve its purpose?
"Definitely yes. I went there with the idea that it would be a human challenge for me. Although I lived overseas when my dad was still playing in the NHL, it was still new to me. Jarda Pytlík, who played for Soo Greyhounds for the second year, helped me a lot. He taught me, and the boys took me in a great way. Even hockey had something in it there, the players are technically really good. He doesn't defend much in the OHL, it was all more in combination. Great matches. "

Did you catch up when not so much defense was played?
"For me, it was not the best in this direction, because the numbers do not look so much (16 matches, average 3.77, success rate 88.6%). But we had a young team and we were not the top of the competition. He really doesn't fight there. They don't care what the condition is, the boys are evolving by attacking. It was obvious that they already had experience, moreover, they were very good at it individually and tapped it practically empty. "

Did the workload fit your expectations?
"I got most of the matches since I came. Right after I arrived, I caught three or four in a row, which I might have burned a bit. Time change, a lot of new things, I'm used to it. Then I got tired, I didn't feel the best, so we took turns in a few matches. But by the end, I was fine again and in goal. It was good."

What feedback did you get from the club?
"I recently talked to the club about it because I flew overseas to get home. They said it was great. That they were satisfied with the way I worked and prepared off the ice. That they liked it and can't say that something was wrong. "

Does it play a big role for you in the future?
"I wanted to wait for the draft and decide accordingly. But with everything shifting, there's no point in waiting. I am preparing with Třinec, we started the preparation on Monday. That's what I'm going to focus on. "
Malík draft neřeší: Soustředím se na sebe. V Třinci by měl být dvojkou | iSport.cz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->