SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Raftis isn't shying away from risky picks after failing to lure Caufield and Beecher. McGroarty is at least as talented as our first round selection, if not more. He would be a massive get.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Not sure how I feel about the 4th round choice. No doubt he is an exceptional talent but so is Caulfield and Beecher... And they sure aren't helping us at all.

Reactions: Uncle

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I didn't mind them taking a shot there. But I agree it would be nice to land one of these US big fish.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I don't mind some risks either, especially if you have some extra picks to play with. Not sold on this move but time will tell. Love that we picked Toms. I cheered.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I didn't mind them taking a shot there. But I agree it would be nice to land one of these US big fish.
I agree. The Hounds had a cluster of picks from this late 4th round pick they used ,to their early 5th, later 5th and early 6th. They must have felt the three players they had their eyes on would be available and that the risk to take McGoarty in this spot was worth it.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I agree. The Hounds had a cluster of picks from this late 4th round pick they used ,to their early 5th, later 5th and early 6th. They must have felt the three players they had their eyes on would be available and that the risk to take McGoarty in this spot was worth it.

Agree.

I’d just like to see the Hounds hang on to 2nd-round picks. Six years in a row without one.

Moreso than the NHL draft, the second round can net first-round talent. They’re tossed around like cheap suits in deadline deals, but if I were GM other teams would have a tough time prying a second from my club.

Hounds don’t make - or simply don’t have - the greatest luck recouping a bounty of picks as Sellers, either.

Frost, Hayton...a deadline selloff of either would have set the team up with some very important picks.

Team drafts well in late rounds, would be nice to see what the staff could bring home owning three seconds in the same draft. Not even having their own sucks.

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Raftis has made a habit of not selling off. I believe Frost was shopped, but no offers were good enough for him to justify it. We have had some bad luck with 19 year olds not being sent back. I wonder if Raftis has learned anything through this period?

We are now at a point where we are looking to contend again with a full complement of seconds. Let's see how hard we push all in, and then let's see if there is a more concerted effort to recoup some of those back in the short term.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Raftis has made a habit of not selling off. I believe Frost was shopped, but no offers were good enough for him to justify it. We have had some bad luck with 19 year olds not being sent back. I wonder if Raftis has learned anything through this period?

We are now at a point where we are looking to contend again with a full complement of seconds. Let's see how hard we push all in, and then let's see if there is a more concerted effort to recoup some of those back in the short term.

There will be quite a few nice pieces to sell if we go all in next year and need to recoup picks.

O'Rourke would land one of those massive 6 picks plus player deals as perhaps the league's top defensemen. Kerins could also be in a similar boat with another good season.

On top of that, we're looking at no less than 8 strong OA candidates.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

The construction of our roster dictated a bit of a risk too. They surely had a few Canadian targets in mind that could crack an OHL roster, but there just isn't any room.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
The construction of our roster dictated a bit of a risk too. They surely had a few Canadian targets in mind that could crack an OHL roster, but there just isn't any room.
For sure. Likely only our first plays with the team next year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
See, I think that line of thinking should have been more applicable to last year's draft. I wish we had taken a few more risks last year as we might have room for max 2-3 more from the 2019 draft (4-5 total).

After our first two picks this draft, the rest wouldn't typically make the team until next year anyway, and we will have lots of roster room. The time for risk was the 2019 draft, but we didn't seize that opportunity.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I found our goalie selections quite interesting. Not only did we pick a goalie earlier than we have since 2014, but we also chose 3 goalies. I went back as far as the draft history goes on the OHL website, and it doesn't appear as though we have ever taken 3 goalies. Granted, our final pick was a flier pick on an NTDP goalie who likely won't report, but still! Seems like a concerted effort was made on Saturday to find an eventual replacement for Malik, and who know, maybe even his backup this season?

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If Byfield came back and you guys had the Memorial cup, would you try and acquire him and if so what do you think the deal would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad